reader

Record high of daily COVID-19 cases reported in Malaysia

From Channel News Asia

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia reported a record of 6,806 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday (May 20), as the country continues to battle a third wave of infections. 

This is the second consecutive day that Malaysia has logged record numbers of daily cases since the pandemic began. On Wednesday, the country saw 6,075 new COVID-19 cases, the highest since Jan 30.

Of the 6,806 infections reported on Thursday, 2,277 cases were from Selangor and 615 cases from Johor. Kuala Lumpur saw 655 new cases, the health ministry said.  

There were also a record 59 fatalities, bringing the national death toll to 2,099. 

This is the fourth time Malaysia has logged record daily numbers for COVID-19 deaths in less than two weeks, surpassing the previous high of 47 deaths on May 18

As of Thursday, Malaysia's tally of COVID-19 cases stands at 492,302, of which 50,171 are active or infectious. There are 587 patients in the intensive care unit.

Health authorities in recent days have implored members of the public to stay at home and minimise non-essential activities. 

On Wednesday night, the Health Ministry posted a tweet, urging residents to conduct their own "self lockdown". Measures include not inviting guests to their homes and only heading out to buy groceries once a week. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/malaysia-covid19-record-high-daily-2nd-consecutive-day-6806-14848562

"I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel."

That's the quote that registered with me right away and stayed with me. On my best days, I think that the situation will gradually stabilize and we'll soon return to life as it was before the virus. On my worst days, I feel that I'm witnessing the end of the world in slow motion.

Even in the countries where much progress has been made, there are signs that that progress may only be a temporary phase.

The video may be about the Klang Valley in Malaysia but it truth I think it's still possible that it could happen anywhere. There are simply too many unknowns.

We need to see the world without nationalities, without borders, without prejudice. We all live in Klang Valley.