reader

Tourist provinces to reopen in October, minister says

46 minutes ago, Patanawet said:

Especially if the were still to be no alcohol.

I didnt see any report of alcohol ban, just bars and pubs not allowed to open. Anyway, my main reason to go to bangkok is not for the alcohol nor bar, but boys hehe.

From Pattaya Mail

Cambodia trying to avoid making Thailand’s mistakes

In percentage terms, the small Cambodian kingdom is as dependent financially on international tourism as Thailand.  During the pandemic, both countries have seen dramatic reductions in revenue with Cambodia losing over US$3 billion in the last year.

But Phnom Penh authorities are now considering a careful reopening of international tourism in the last quarter of 2021.  Chhay Sivlin, president of the Cambodian Association of Travel Agents, said that recent Thai moves in the much-heralded Sandboxes provided warnings for his country.  He believed the concept was too complicated.

The main thrust of the Cambodian initiative is to open the 12th century Angkor Wat archaeological site to fully vaccinated foreigners from October 2021.  They would be accommodated and relax in the neighboring town of Siem Reap which, like Pattaya, is currently a ghost town because of the collapse of international tourism.

Superficially, the plan looks rather like the Phuket Sandbox initiative, but there are important differences.  Whilst international arrivals in Phuket will need advance clearance from Thai embassies abroad and be subject to insurance and entry fees, Cambodia would allow groups of foreigners simply to land and show their passports and vaccination certificates to immigration authorities.  The important thing is to cut the bureaucracy at international checkpoints.

The Cambodian Ministry of Tourism said that no final decisions had yet been taken, but the vital thing was to simplify the entry procedures as much as possible.  Thourn Sinan, chairman of the Cambodian chapter of the Pacific Area Travel Association, pointed out that Thailand had constantly changed the Sandbox model and some of the Phuket detail still had not been agreed just days before the formal beginning.

Other ideas currently under discussion in Phnom Penh are abolishing the US$30 fee on arrival which has traditionally been charged to all visitors by land and air, cancelling insurance fees and deposits currently required of entrants, providing evening entertainment in the form of cultural shows and avoiding the wearing of tracing bracelets.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/in-reopening-tourism-cambodia-trying-to-avoid-making-thailands-mistakes-359309

4 minutes ago, reader said:

The Cambodian Ministry of Tourism said that no final decisions had yet been taken, but the vital thing was to simplify the entry procedures as much as possible. 

Some competition would be good.

One of the reasons why I might not visit Thailand at the end of the year would be another country offering more favourable entry terms.

42 minutes ago, reader said:

The main thrust of the Cambodian initiative is to open the 12th century Angkor Wat archaeological site to fully vaccinated foreigners from October 2021.  They would be accommodated and relax in the neighboring town of Siem Reap which, like Pattaya, is currently a ghost town because of the collapse of international tourism.

.... providing evening entertainment in the form of cultural shows

Might just consider this if Thailand doesn't open up soon. Would those more knowledgeable be able to advise, since I'm no fan of cultural shows, what other forms of entertainment might be available on Siem Reap evenings? I'm not expecting it to be like Bangkok or Pattaya, but a small selection of bars with take-out, or massage...? I've heard of a sauna though I cannot recall the name.

1 hour ago, reader said:

From Pattaya Mail

Cambodia trying to avoid making Thailand’s mistakes

.... He believed the concept was too complicated.

.....  The important thing is to cut the bureaucracy at international checkpoints.

glad to know there are governments who understand where obstacles are.

Mass tourist  understands needs for rules but they must be clear , easy to navigate and not depending of overnight whim of somebody in charge.  

1 hour ago, macaroni21 said:

but a small selection of bars with take-out, or massage...?

I was there about two years ago and found some excellent boys, very ready and willing, from a couple of the regular massage shops that had boys and girls sitting outside. Right in the middle of the main tourist, pub zone. Can’t remember the name off the street, but a main drag in Siem Reap. They were available both onsite and off.

What I would worry about is now, if it’s become a ghost town, I wonder if many of the massage shops would even be there anymore. On the other hand, considering the dire poverty in many parts of Cambodia today, talent might well flood back into town, given the opportunity. But it's such a small town, I could hardly imagine spending more than a few days visiting temples and enjoying the boys, though.

I'm afraid we've veered off topic. I expect a smack down from a disapproving member.

21 minutes ago, JimmyJoe said:
I'm afraid we've veered off topic. I expect a smack down from a disapproving member.

I doubt anyone will worry about that.   Besides, we're referring to "Tourist Provinces", so the discussion remains in line with the title. 

I've been to Cambodia 5 times.   About 15 years ago it was fairly easy to wonder into Linga bar (Siem Reap) and find over 10 cute lads trying to hook up with a farang.    On more recent trips, that's no longer been the case.  I guess the  main reasons are lads migrating to Pattaya and the phone apps.

The sauna and massage scene has also evolved over the years.   On my last visit, I went to Siem Reap, I went to Men Sauna, which was a very nice place, but not exactly teeming with talent like, for example, Love Spa in Phnom Penh.      I think Blue Hatha was closed.

There are a few massage places with mixed staff in the centre.  I actually had my first ever oil massage in one of these on the first trip & it was a very good experience.   On my last trip, I visited one and asked a lad outside "Can YOU massage me ?".   The answer was yes.   I confirmed with reception that I wanted a male masseur.  They sent a female.   I sent her away.   An other female arrived. I sent her away and then I left.   Now they are quite entitled to decline my request, but doing so directly would save time.   Meanwhile, an eastern European couple arrived and also left because matters were not to their liking -possibly inadequate curtains.  

I had some hookups on the apps.    There are still a few gay bars, but the apps seem better for hookups.   Although, when visiting "Heaven & Dream Boys", which is some kind of show bar, the management were quite keen to point out that the lads were available.  They were too big & muscular for my tastes.

I would suggest the main reason to go to Siem Reap is for the temples and other nearby sights, all well worth seeing.    If you're looking for more of a gay scene, go to Phnom Penh.

7 hours ago, JimmyJoe said:

....Siem Reap.........

. But it's such a small town, I could hardly imagine spending more than a few days visiting temples and enjoying the boys, though.

Not all temples are that close. Pheah Vihear, Koh Ker  or Bakan are day trip , same goes with mount Kulen.

I was twice about  a week in Siem Reap and can envision no boredom two weeks stay at least but I like  ruins . 

Thanks for the replies. I was in Phnom Penh last year and the pickings were slim, though good enough for a few days. If, as z909 suggests, Siem Reap offers even less of such "cultural entertainment", it may prove disappointing. As for the ruins, I was there eons ago before the recnt popularity and surge of tourists. I even visited a few of the ones further away. They're certainly fantastic, and if there's a time to revisit them, it might just be now before the surges of tourists come back.

19 hours ago, spoon said:

I didnt see any report of alcohol ban, just bars and pubs not allowed to open. Anyway, my main reason to go to bangkok is not for the alcohol nor bar, but boys hehe.

Sorry, I meant not sold in restaurants and bars etc.

If businesses are to close like the rest of Thailand at 8 or 9 then Phuket after dark will be a sad place.