reader

Things getting back to normal in Phuket

From The Thaiger

Governor orders investigation into complaints of taxi drivers overcharging

Taxi fares charged from the Phuket International Airport are now being investigated by provincial authorities. The Phuket governor ordered the probe after criticism over a Facebook post asking if the 900 baht fare from the airport, quoted by a hotel in Patong, seemed too expensive.

Taxi prices in Phuket are notoriously high compared to other provinces. On the social media post, many commented on high taxi fares, sparking criticism just as the island province reopens to vaccinated travellers from overseas under the “Sandbox” model. Following the complaints, Phuket Tourist Police posted the maximum taxi fares from the Phuket International Airport to popular destinations and told people to reported if they’ve been overcharged.

Governor Narong Woonciew ordered the Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office and the Tourist Police to look into complaints about taxis overcharging. He says the criticism is affecting Phuket’s, especially its image to tourists arriving under the “Sandbox.”

“It is a problem that has been discussed many times before the Covid situation, and related agencies are trying to find a more systematic approach… The goal of Phuket is to impress those who have arrived. The transport office has held a meeting with 1,000 public taxi service providers to enhance the measures of SHA+ service in order to meet the required standards so we can impress tourists.”

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-governor-orders-investigation-into-complaints-of-taxi-drivers-overcharging

1 hour ago, reader said:

“It is a problem that has been discussed many times before the Covid situation, and related agencies are trying to find a more systematic approach… The goal of Phuket is to impress those who have arrived. The transport office has held a meeting with 1,000 public taxi service providers to enhance the measures of SHA+ service in order to meet the required standards so we can impress tourists.”

So it has been discussed many times before and they have now discussed it again ?   I think we know what the effect of that will be.   

The solutions would be to enforce the rules, fine people heavily for breaking them and whilst they are at it, also encourage operators like Grab to operate, with capped charges.     However, heavy fines don't work if they are replaced by modest bribes.

Having said all that, if the Phuket Sandbox remains my best option for the winter holiday, I won't complain at a 800 or 900 baht taxi fare, since it's some distance from the airport to Patong Beach & it's a maximum of twice per trip.    

More unsatisfactory is the Tuk Tuk mafia wanting 200 baht for a short trip, as I think it was in 2008 on my last visit to Phuket.   Compared with 8~12 baht for songthaew rides elsewhere in Thailand.    Thankfully I'm used to walking.   

Yes the problem is not with the taxi fares from/to the airport but with the tuk tuk mafia which charging outrageous rates for very short trips this is one  of the reasons why I avoided Phuket so many years (The main reason is the declining of the gay scene at Paradise Complex).