reader

Years of sweat won fame for his Chinatown noodles. 3rd wave killed him in days

From Coconuts Bangkok

A file photo of Charnchai Tangsubmanee at his shop Guay Jub Ouan Pochana. Photo: Guay Jub Ouan Pochana / Facebook

A file photo of Charnchai Tangsubmanee at his shop Guay Jub Ouan Pochana. Photo: Guay Jub Ouan Pochana / Facebook

Foodies and customers who’ve queued at a well-known noodle shop in Bangkok’s Chinatown are mourning the death of its owner after learning he succumbed to COVID-19.

Tributes from customers famous and ordinary were spreading for Charnchai Tangsubmanee, the 73-year-old owner of Guay Jub Ouan Pochana who sold aromatic and peppery rolled rice noodle soup from a small shophouse over five decades.

“I was in shock,” once-mighty news anchor Sorayuth Suthassanachinda said of learning Charnchai’s death. “Whenever I went there, Charnchai always greeted me, and we’d always hit it off. His noodles were hot and delicious every time, too. May he rest in peace.”

News of Charnchai’s death Saturday was just confirmed by his sons, Adulwit and Narudon Tangsubmanee.

According to Adulwit, Charnchai received his first dose of AstraZeneca in June but tested positive for the disease late last month. Charnchai and his wife, who also contracted COVID-19, were admitted to the Thonburi Bamrungmuang Hospital.

Guay Jub Ouan Pochana was recognized on the Michelin guide’s Bib Gourmand list in 2019. Last year, it was among 106 Bangkok restaurants found worthy of the same rating by the French tire manufacturer.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/years-of-sweat-won-fame-for-his-chinatown-noodles-bangkoks-covid-3rd-wave-killed-him-in-days/