reader

PM says restrictions could be lifted next month amid signs of infection slowdown

From AFP / BP

Mass Covid testing launched in Bangkok's biggest slum

For families struggling to survive on $150 a month in Bangkok's biggest slum, coronavirus swab tests are a luxury that few can afford.

The Klong Toey slum, where an estimated 100,000 people live packed into tiny, overcrowded dwellings, has been a major concern as the country battles the third wave of the pandemic.

Now the Bangkok Community Help Foundation, a charity, has launched a mass testing drive to try to identify cases and help stop Klong Toey from becoming a reservoir that reinfects the whole city.

The foundation said the programme -- linked to guaranteed hospital beds for positive cases -- was long overdue.

Almost 1,000 people have been swabbed in recent days, it said, with close to 50 coming back positive.

"There are many people living in very tight and confined spaces. In many cases people are living with 10 people in a house... of maybe 20 square metres, which means if one has Covid, the rest have it," foundation co-founder Friso Poldervaart told AFP.

"It's usually the case that if people (test positive), they get given a home isolation kit. The issue is here that they cannot home-isolate."

Rice donations, mangosteen juice and a free lunch were among incentives the charity used to encourage hesitant residents to undergo a swab test.

Continues with photo

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2178483/mass-covid-testing-launched-in-bangkoks-biggest-slum

4 hours ago, z909 said:

It's been around since January, so I don't imagine it's too bad.

The problem is not what you or I imagine.  The problem is what Thailand's powers-that-be imagine.  Considering how so much has been knee-jerk reactions imposed by people who really are not my idea of competent to do so, hardly anything they come up with surprises me anymore.  And to me, the more absurd the restrictions, the less I'm surprised.

7 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

The problem is not what you or I imagine.  The problem is what Thailand's powers-that-be imagine.  Considering how so much has been knee-jerk reactions imposed by people who really are not my idea of competent to do so, hardly anything they come up with surprises me anymore.  And to me, the more absurd the restrictions, the less I'm surprised.

I agree that it's what the idiots in charge decide that is the main factor.  

So far, none of their policies seems to consider covid variants.   We have all this sandbox nonsense, testing and so on, but there is no evidence of them genetically sequencing incoming tourists, or setting policy based on that.  

Tourists coming from (say) Europe or North America are most likely to arrive with the delta variant, which is already in Thailand, so any restrictions are fairly pointless.

What they ought to do is consider new variants and set policy to hold those off for as long as possible, however as I say, there is no evidence of this.  So far.

On the other hand, I know one of the factors the UK considers when deciding which is a "Red" or "Amber" country is the quality of genetic sequencing.   So if a country has no clue about which variants are circulating they are likely to get a worse rank.    This could be a contributor to Thailand being "red".

Or if the country has lied about covid data, again they get a worse rank than the number of infections would typically require.  So China remains Amber, despite allegedly having hardly any infections. 

6 hours ago, vinapu said:

For me only deterrent are entry requirements , not what's may be on the ground there.

But world is slowly coming to senses , so will Thailand one day

Agreed.    Thailand already seems to be slowly coming to its senses.

18 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

A case of setting off with your  'eyes wide open' rather than your 'flies wide open' perhaps ? 🤣

Move along....nothing to see here

After announcing on Monday that The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) will cease to exist when the state of emergency decree was lifted, the government today said something akin to "yes, we have no bananas".

From Bangkok Post

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) will continue its role in leading the country's fight to contain the Covid-19 outbreak, although it may later be transformed into a new body under a new disease control law that will replace the state of emergency, the government said on Wednesday.

According to Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam, because the CCSA was established under the Emergency Decree, when the state of emergency is lifted, then the CCSA will technically no longer exist.

"However, in practice, the CCSA will continue to function while the government deliberates the new disease control law, although it may have to be transformed into something else after the state of emergency is lifted," he said.

Mr Wissanu was responding to questions about the possibility of dissolving the CCSA when the government revokes the state of emergency, which it is said would usher in the next steps of containing the coronavirus outbreak.

The government is waiting for a new law that will allow it to declare a state of public health emergency without having to invoke the Emergency Decree, which generally covers all other emergencies, including terrorism and mass unrest, he said.

"When the new law is in place, a body even larger than the CCSA may be established if needed, so it doesn't really matter if the CCSA is dissolved or not," he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2178567/ccsa-shake-up-looms

File under:

(a) TIT

(b) You can't make this stuff up

(c) Th-th-th, that's all folks"

(d) All of the above

Mr Wissanu was responding to questions about the possibility of dissolving the CCSA when the government revokes the state of emergency, which it is said would usher in the next steps of containing the coronavirus outbreak.

The shifting sands of Pattaya's fate

The news today regarding Pattaya's near-term future is mixed at best. The good news--well, as good as it gets for the moment--is that it opens under a Phuket-like sandbox scheme with all the accompanying testing and restrictions and entry requirements that will put off most punters. But at least it's a first step toward some semblance of normalcy.

There's also news that foreign investor are keenly snooping about for distressed hotels they hope to scoop up on the cheap. Not that there's anything wrong with that but many here would be disappointed if the like of Poseidon and others, which have long served the gay community with good food and accommodations, fall into the hands of opportunists. But I suppose that's the price we have to expect to pay for survival.

For those who can tolerate the inconvenience and bureaucratic madness in exchange for an early return, your time may soon be at hand. But for the rest of us it looks like early 2022 before arriving in Thailand is anything like we recall from 2019.

=================================

From Pattaya Mail

Pattaya open to fully vaccinated foreign tourists in October

The Thai government has reiterated health and safety measures as it prepares for the second phase of its tourism reigniting plan and many look forward to the annual high season. Proceeding along its path to again welcome foreign travelers after having notable success with its Sandbox programs over the past two months, producing 1.634 billion baht in revenue, the government is poised to continue the effort to support economic recovery.

In October, the administration is to implement its Universal Prevention measures while entering the second phase of its reopening timeline, which will see Bangkok, Chonburi (Pattaya), Petchaburi, Prachuapkirikan and Chiang Mai will be allowed to receive foreign guests once again, on the condition they meet vaccination targets. The Bangkok Sandbox and Hua Hin Recharge campaigns have already been outlined in anticipation of the transition.

Phase three of the plan is to begin in the middle of October and see 21 more provinces reopen under strict COVID-19 prevention measures. The fourth phase begins in January of next year and will focus on 13 border provinces and the use of travel bubbles.

One province slated to reopen on October 1st is Chonburi with its Pattaya Moves On program covering Pattaya, Banglamung and Sattahip. Various committees have been established in anticipation of the date, and they will oversee matters such as meeting a 70 percent vaccination target in the local population.

Visitors to Chonburi will have to be fully vaccinated or have RT-PCR test results from their country of origin and a health certificate. They will have to submit to another RT-PCR test upon arrival in Chonburi and undergo a total of three checks during their stay, the second being during the first six to seven days of their stay and the third on the fourteenth day.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/pattaya-open-to-fully-vaccinated-foreign-tourists-in-october-371282

================================

From The Thaiger / BP

Foreign investors keep a close eye on struggling Pattaya hotels

With Pattaya hotel operators in dire financial straits brought on by the lack of tourists during the pandemic, foreign investors are apparently keeping a close eye on the situation. The hotel operators in the tourist city are being warned that if they do not get assistance for their outstanding loans, then their businesses could be taken over by foreign investors.

Pattaya is one of the areas in Thailand that has been hit the hardest by Covid-19. The city’s famous “Walking Street” has been compared to the zombie apocalypse series, the “Walking Dead.” Many businesses have been struggling to stay afloat.

The president of the hotel association of the eastern region warned hotel operators to take care of their outstanding loans and called on the government to support the hotel sector, such as by suspending loan payments to financial institutions and cutting interest rates.

He says that if hotels do not get help, and if the tight travel restrictions remain in 2022, then many will have no other option than to sell the business and many groups of foreign investors, mostly Chinese, are interested in buying hotels in Pattaya.

https://thethaiger.com/news/pattaya/foreign-investors-keep-a-close-eye-on-struggling-pattaya-hotels

================================

From Channel News Asia

ASEAN-China travel bubble ?

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob proposed that the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and China could consider a cross-border travel bubble, adding that it would be “vital for recovery” from the COVID-19 pandemic.

In a recorded video message during the 18th China-ASEAN Expo (CAEXPO) on Friday (Sep 10), he said both sides could explore common initiatives such as travel bubbles and quarantine arrangements.

“By doing this, we will be in a much better position to revive not only the tourism industry, but also our people-to-people connectivity,” Mr Ismail Sabri said.

Mutual recognition of vaccination certification is also a fertile area for collaboration, the prime minister noted.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/malaysia-ismail-sabri-asean-china-travel-bubble-covid-19-2168991

From The Thaiger / BP

Developments in next 2 weeks to decide next steps

An advisor to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration says what happens in the next 2 weeks is crucial to determining any further easing of restrictions. According to a Bangkok Post report, Dr Udom Kachintorn says there is unlikely to be any further relaxing of measures until officials are sure the situation is under control.

Udom says the easing of restrictions on September 1 could have caused a surge in news infections, adding that the recent decline in infections is because of the lockdown introduced from July, coupled with more people being vaccinated. He says that in order to keep infections trending downward, people must continue being careful.

“The lockdown easing from September 1 has flattened the downward trend and cases will begin to rise, so we must rely on the public’s precautions and universal prevention measures. State agencies and the private sector must conduct random spot tests every week.”

Udom adds that having people fully vaccinated might not always translate to falling infection rates, as can be seen in the US and Europe. In Thailand, the predominant Covid-19 strain is the highly contagious Delta variant.

Thailand has reported 132 Covid-related fatalities and 12,583 new infections in the last 24 hours. 1,177 were detected as a result of mass testing, while 163 were found in prisons. There are currently 132,113 patients undergoing treatment for Covid-19 in Thailand.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/ccsa-monitoring-developments-in-next-2-weeks-to-decide-next-steps

8 hours ago, vinapu said:

all boys employed previously found sponsors? it can't be

anyways good sign certainly

Many non thai has gone back home and most likely having issues or reluctant to come back prior to bar opening and border open as tourists/clients might still be low.

6 hours ago, spoon said:

Many non thai has gone back home and most likely having issues or reluctant to come back prior to bar opening and border open as tourists/clients might still be low.

...or started another, more  permanent  career. Specially older guys with shorter shelf life would do themselves a favor by not wasting that closure time  and using it to look for another options.

The Bangkok Post's lead this morning is about the Oct. 1 re-opening but--unsurprisingly--it's woefully short on details. Nothing about what tourists (domestic, international), nothing about entry requirements, nothing about movement restrictions, nothing about insurance requirements. What is there a lot about? Phetchaburi .

Tourism to reopen despite Covid, minister says

Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn has confirmed Bangkok, Chon Buri, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan and Chiang Mai will begin implementing their tourism reopening plans on Oct 1 as planned.

The 21 other provinces will follow suit on Oct 15, he said on Tuesday, dispelling doubts over whether the government would be able to proceed with its plan in the face of the ongoing pandemic. 

Mr Phiphat admitted the high number of new Covid-19 infections is a major hindrance but said the ministry is fully prepared for the reopening.

Asked about the 200 plus new cases of Covid-19 recorded daily in Phuket, he said these high figures stem from the province’s active case finding in every community, including migrant workers.

Phuket was the first province to pilot the tourism reopening programme.

Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said that the ministry is fully prepared for the Oct 1 reopening.

Phetchaburi is ready to reopen to tourists on Oct 1, with effective Covid-19 controls to reduce the threat of new infections, deputy provincial governor Natthawut Phetpromsorn said on Tuesday.

Strict disease control measures remain in place to contain infection clusters, said Mr Natthawut.

Bubble and seal measures applied at factories and markets have reduced the incidence of the disease, he said.

Now that infections have dropped, Phetchaburi can prepare to reopen for tourism on Oct 1, in line with the government’s plan, he said.

All sectors are well-prepared, he said, adding that tourists can have confidence that popular destinations such as Cha-am district are safe and free from the virus. Visitors could enjoy their stay in the province, said Mr Natthawut.

Phetchaburi public health office chief Phetchakit Thaensawat said that 54% of targetted groups in the province have been vaccinated, comprising mainly people aged 60 years and over, and people with any of seven underlying conditions, and pregnant women.

Vaccination would reach 70% when more vaccines arrive, Dr Phetchakit said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2181731/tourism-to-reopen-despite-covid-minister-says

Tourism Authority of Thailand plans to propose no-quarantine tourism under “One SOP One System” scheme for fully-vaccinated foreigners:

In layman’s terms, this means a single plan for all five new areas, not five separate plans, simplifying the process. Basically, the plan, in its current proposal, would move from a safe and sealed route (tours) to allowing tourists freedom of movement throughout the entire area, such as Pattaya or Hua Hin. Under the proposal, the tourist would still need to stay at a SHA+ hotel and meet various paperwork, testing, and other requirements but would have freedom of movement, being able to go where they wished, similar to the Phuket Sandbox plan.

TPN media wants to stress this is only a proposal, and still has multiple levels of approval to go through. There is also no guarantee that every sector would be allowed to open, such as bars or entertainment, for the proposal. It is, however, a major improvement over the prior proposal which would have restricted tourists and visitors to a single resort and guided tours of selected attractions.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/09/14/tourism-authority-of-thailand-plans-to-propose-no-quarantine-tourism-under-one-sop-one-system-scheme-for-fully-vaccinated-foreigners/

It is refreshing to see some small steps in the right direction and a proposal that looks to standardize the process rather than adding another level of complication.

The article has a lot more detail, but nothing is set in stone yet and decisions are a few weeks away.

Not much time until opening though, hope they get the approval soon. Bangkok pattaya is basically most of our itinerary anyway, so if this is approved, plenty of tourist traffic can be expected. 

If my country allow for travel, id be heavily considering going haha. 7 days spent in bangkok, and then to pattaya and return to bangkok before going back. This is exactly my previous travel route lol. Only differents are the tests and selection of hotels. For SOP and restriction, i deal with that here anyway. 

2 hours ago, vaughn said:

Tourism Authority of Thailand plans to propose no-quarantine tourism under “One SOP One System” scheme for fully-vaccinated foreigners

2 hours ago, spoon said:

Not much time until opening though, hope they get the approval soon. Bangkok pattaya is basically most of our itinerary anyway, so if this is approved, plenty of tourist traffic can be expected. 

If my country allow for travel, id be heavily considering going haha. 7 days spent in bangkok, and then to pattaya and return to bangkok before going back. This is exactly my previous travel route lol. Only differents are the tests and selection of hotels. For SOP and restriction, i deal with that here anyway. 

With the way Thai bureaucracy works it could take a couple of months haha.

I'm planning and booking for my next trip to be April, i figure that should be enough time to sort out how reopening will work and hopefully get bars back to operation.

3 hours ago, vaughn said:

With the way Thai bureaucracy works it could take a couple of months haha.

They like to complicate a really simple problem.

Any inbound tourist is still likely to need a PCR test within 72 hours of departing and another shortly after arrival.

Since covid is already endemic in Thailand, any tourist who has passed 2 PCR tests is less likely to have covid than the local population. 

So if the tourists are less likely to have covid, they don't need any special restrictions.  

So if restrictions are not necessary, don't have restrictions. Simple.

5 hours ago, z909 said:

So if restrictions are not necessary, don't have restrictions. Simple.

if only powers found it that easy, sigh. I agree with your assessment but I think governments almost  everywhere are paralyzed by fear " what if ?" and grossly overcautious as result while almost nowhere opening gates to incoming tourism resulted in noticeable surges.

They think tourists are suicidal while we are perfectly capable to assess our own risk. This pandemic is disaster for many but for autocrats and paternalists is fair weather.