reader

PM says restrictions could be lifted next month amid signs of infection slowdown

16 hours ago, anddy said:

what a crappy site, more about fear-mongering than useful, realistic advice. Reading it one gets the impression that Bogota is safer than Bangkok.

what nonsense.... sounds like these things happen ALL the time. Of course they do happen as everywhere, but they are certainly by far not as common as this wording makes it sound.

I ignored the general text, I compared the individual risks, mainly the "mugging risk" (cause that's a rather unpleasant experience, while I don't care about the "pickpocket rate" or the "women travellers risk") between the cities and thought it would make some sense:

Bangkok: low
Pattaya: low
Rio: high
Bogotá: medium
Medellin: medium
At least it corresponds to the impression I have from articles I read on the internet over the last years.
Of course it would be interesting to have some 7-day-incidence per 100.000 people, but I couldnt find any.

On 9/25/2021 at 5:40 PM, 10tazione said:

What a load a total b/s! I have lived in Bangkok for 20 years and have never had any transport problem with taxi drivers other than a couple with dodgy meters form the airport. The BTS and MRT are extremely safe! What are the new traffic rules for tourists that make it difficult to be part of the public transport system? I have never heard of any  unless it is wearing a mask. And which parts of the city are highly dangerous for tourists? Never heard of any apart perhaps from gambling dens which tourists would never find.

As for Bangkok being at risk of tsunamis? Funny, Bangkok has never suffered from a tsunami and is too far from the sea for this to be a potential risk. Earthquakes? Bangkok is not in an earthquake zone. There are no records of any earthquake in or near the city. I believe Chiang Mai might be close to a fault line but not Bangkok. The only time I recall the effect of any earthquake was the one off Indonesia 1,500 kms away which triggered the massive 2004 tsunami..

2 hours ago, PeterRS said:

What are the new traffic rules for tourists that make it difficult to be part of the public transport system? I have never heard of any  unless it is wearing a mask.

I can only guess they include "renting a car or motorbike" in the dangers of transport system And the new rule would be "driving on the left side", at least for most people in the world (but since you ar British you can't understand this (just joking 😀)

2 hours ago, PeterRS said:

What a load a total b/s!

Agreed.   It seems way too easy to write websites full of fraudulent "advice" with no attempt at accuracy, then get up google search rankings and attract loads of people to view the trash. 

A quality filter is always needed when viewing a new site.

57 minutes ago, 10tazione said:

I can only guess they include "renting a car or motorbike" in the dangers of transport system And the new rule would be "driving on the left side", at least for most people in the world (but since you ar British you can't understand this (just joking 😀)

I think they should allow foreign tourists to drive on the right if so inclined without penalty but only those who are from right side driving countries like Chinese but not British or Japanese

7 hours ago, PeterRS said:

What are the new traffic rules for tourists that make it difficult to be part of the public transport system? I have never heard of any

That is because there are none. 

Sometimes it is easy to forget that anyone can write whatever they want on the internet and anyone can set up a web site.  And there are many who think if they see it on the internet, then it must be true.  Based on what he says about Bangkok, that tells me how much attention to pay to that web site.

I see nothing on this guy's site to indicate who he is or how he knows anything more than anyone else about the places he writes about.  How come he knows more about Bangkok and what to expect to experience than those of us who have lived in Thailand 20 years plus?

El toro caca . . .

8 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

That is because there are none. 

How come he knows more about Bangkok and what to expect to experience than those of us who have lived in Thailand 20 years plus?

El toro caca . . .

One problem here is that people who only quickly scan headlines  assume that the headline reflects the whole story.

This results in various contradictory stories on the same day.

Something that those of us who have lived here '20 years plus' have sussed out.

We read beyond the headline to find that it is just a suggestion being brought up in some sub-committee but the headline suggests that it is an imminent law change.

This is a method used by the U.K.'s gutter press like the Daily Mail or Express to grab clicks.

1 hour ago, Patanawet said:

This is a method used by the U.K.'s gutter press like the Daily Mail or Express to grab clicks.

To be fair, I've also seen the BBC, The Guardian and The Telegraph post stories where there is no evidence at all in the article or anywhere else to support the headline.

From Channel News Asia

Thailand to reduce COVID-19 quarantine period, reopen to international visitors in 4 phases

BANGKOK: Thailand is preparing to downscale its COVID-19 quarantine requirements for fully vaccinated international tourists and reopen the country in four phases, starting from October, according to the COVID-19 Situation Administration Centre (CCSA).

Starting from Oct 1, international travellers who have been fully vaccinated against the coronavirus for at least 14 days and can prove it with a vaccination certificate will only be required to undergo seven days of quarantine upon their arrival.

However, there will no quarantine requirement in certain provinces that will have reopened to international travellers.

“They’ll be swabbed twice. The first time is between Day 0 and Day 1, which is the first day they arrive. The second time is between Day 6 and Day 7,” said CCSA spokesperson Taweesin Visanuyothin during a press conference on Monday (Sep 27).

International travellers who are not fully vaccinated will have to be quarantined for 10 days if they enter Thailand by sea or air. If they enter by land, the quarantine period will be 14 days.

According to CCSA, they will also be required to take PCR tests twice after their arrival. 

Besides adjusting the quarantine requirements, Thailand has also laid out a plan to reopen to international tourism in four phases.

In each stage, different provinces will be added to the so-called Blue Zone, where travel is not restricted and various social activities as well as gatherings of no more than 500 people are allowed.

The initial pilot phase is from Oct 1 to Oct 31. It covers Phuket and parts of Krabi, Phang Nga and Surat Thani such as the popular islands of Phi Phi, Samui and Pha-ngan. 

While parts of these provinces have reopened to international travellers since July, others still need to speed up their vaccination programmes and ensure the COVID-19 situation remains under control for the full reopening next month.

The second phase is from Nov 1 to Nov 30. It covers ten provinces where income from international visitors usually makes up at least 15 per cent of their tourism revenue. They include Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Chonburi, among others.

CCSA's announcement confirmed a change of plan for the Thai capital, where reopening to international tourism was initially scheduled for mid-October.

“We are confident that on Oct 15, Bangkok will be able to reopen to international tourists,” said Tourism and Sports Minister Pipat Ratchakitprakan on Sep 15 after a discussion with Bangkok governor Aswin Kwanmuang.

At least 70 per cent of Bangkok residents were expected to have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by that time. However, based on CCSA’s Monday announcement, its reopening has been postponed to November.

The third phase is from Dec 1 to Dec 31 and the last phase takes effect from January 2022 onwards.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/thailand-reduce-covid-19-quarantine-reopen-international-tourists-bangkok-2204921

==============================================

From Bangkok Post

More reopening, shorter curfew

More businesses will be allowed to reopen from Friday, the night curfew and quarantine periods will be shortened and pilot reopening areas expanded, but the state of emergency will remain in force.

The government's Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) chaired by the prime minister passed resolutions to this effect at its meeting on Monday.

The eased disease control measures apply to the 29 provinces declared dark-red zones of maximum and strict disease control, and would take effect this coming Friday.

Government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana said the CCSA extended the state of emergency to cope with Covid-19 until Nov 30 and shortened the night curfew in dark-red zoned areas by one hour, from 10pm to 4am.

The curfew will continue for at least another 15 days and shopping centres and convenience stores will close at 9pm.

The CCSA approved the reopening of beauty salons, beauty clinics, massage and spa parlours and movie theatres and permitted music performances at restaurants.

Also to reopen are nurseries, libraries, museums, learning centres and manicure and tattoo shops. Exhibition and convention centres will remain closed.

Closed stadiums can open until 9pm and competitions can be organised, but without spectators. Open-air stadiums can allow spectators to a maximum 25% of seating capacity.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2188415/more-reopening-shorter-curfew

1 hour ago, reader said:

Starting from Oct 1, international travellers who have been fully vaccinated against the coronavirus for at least 14 days and can prove it with a vaccination certificate will only be required to undergo seven days of quarantine upon their arrival.

However, there will no quarantine requirement in certain provinces that will have reopened to international travellers.

Presumably "7 days" of quarantine is 8 nights, just the same as 14 days is 15 nights.

Now whilst 8 nights of solitary is a hell of a lot better than 15, I would still look to the Phuket sandbox as a first choice.

As long as they allow free movement on the island and by the time I travel, Thailand offers unrestricted inter province travel, the sandbox has to be the most pleasant option.   However, it's still too early to plan anything.

Reuters is reporting -- quite definitively -- that no quarantine will be needed for vaccinated travellers arriing in Bangkok and 9 other places starting from November 1. However, this tone of certainty seems to conflict with reports posted by others here which paint a picture of nearly weekly changes in policy. Is this Reuters report to be believed?

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/thailand-further-ease-coronavirus-restrictions-2021-09-27/

BANGKOK, Sept 27 (Reuters) - Thailand will waive its mandatory quarantine requirement in Bangkok and nine regions from Nov. 1 to vaccinated arrivals, authorities said on Monday, as the country tries to boost its immunisation rate and revive its battered tourism sector.

The regions include popular tourist areas Chiang Mai, Phangnga, Krabi, Hua Hin, Pattaya, and Cha-am, and follow the successful reopening of Phuket and Samui islands to vaccinated people in pilot schemes since July.

The country is keen to welcome back foreign visitors, after nearly 18 months of strict entry policies that contributed to a collapse in tourism, a key sector that drew 40 million visitors in 2019.

Authorities will also reduce the quarantine time nationwide for visitors arriving from Oct. 1, the COVID-19 task force said, halving it to seven days for vaccinated arrivals, and cutting it to 10 days for those not inoculated.

Read more at the link.

From Bangkok Post

Special tourist visa programme extended

The cabinet resolved on Tuesday to extend the Special Tourist Visa (STV) programme for one year until Sept 30 next year to woo well-to-do visitors.

Deputy government spokesperson Traisuree Taisaranakul said the cabinet approved the proposal from the Tourism and Sports Ministry to extend the special visa programme for visitors' long stays from its original end this Thursday.

The extended programme was intended to attract foreigners with high purchasing power to visit the country with their families and stay for 90-270 days. The visits would bring in money and support tourism and related business, Ms Traisuree said.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry told the cabinet that over the past year the STV programme brought 5,609 visitors to Thailand and their stay caused at least 1.24 billion baht to be circulated. The long-stay visitors came from China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Denmark, the Netherlands, Spain and Croatia.

Their favourite destinations after their quarantine were Bangkok, Surat Thani (Koh Samui), Phuket, Udon Thani, Chon Buri (Pattaya), Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Chiang Mai and Rayong. Their stays averaged 90 days, Ms Traisuree said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2189067/special-tourist-visa-programme-extended

11 minutes ago, reader said:

The Tourism and Sports Ministry told the cabinet that over the past year the STV programme brought 5,609 visitors to Thailand and their stay caused at least 1.24 billion baht to be circulated. The long-stay visitors came from China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Denmark, the Netherlands, Spain and Croatia.

That is not a success.   He ought to compare with the numbers on other schemes.

A pitiful number of tourists and a doubtful >221,000 baht per tourist.  

With ordinary visas, you can get 60/90 days, plus the option of 30 day extensions. 

To spend 221000 in 90 days, it's just 2455 baht per day.      I spent more than that on the last trip, even with the much easier ordinary visa.  

From Bangkok Post

THAI to start flying to high-jab rate countries

Thai Airways International (THAI) has announced it will start selling tickets on select international flights to destinations with high vaccination rates, from Oct 1.

The airline will re-commence flights to lucrative markets in Europe such as Britain, France and Germany as well as some cities in Japan and Australia.

The decision to resume flights came after these countries reported high rates of vaccination at around 70% of their populations.

China, another highly profitable destination, is expected to be back on THAI's scheduled passenger flight network next year, according to Chai Eamsiri, acting executive vice president of THAI's Finance and Accounting Department.

The company has set a target of cutting back up to 53 billion baht in investment costs by the end of next year. So far, it has saved 44 billion baht towards the goal.

The cutbacks have resulted from continued implementation of more than 600 retrenchment and austerity programmes of all sizes. Among them is the downsizing of the workforce achieved by shedding 48% of employees to 15,300 from 29,500 two years ago.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2189343/thai-to-start-flying-to-high-jab-rate-countries

On 9/26/2021 at 8:33 PM, z909 said:

Agreed.   It seems way too easy to write websites full of fraudulent "advice" with no attempt at accuracy, then get up google search rankings and attract loads of people to view the trash. 

A quality filter is always needed when viewing a new site.

On 9/27/2021 at 1:28 AM, Gaybutton said:

Sometimes it is easy to forget that anyone can write whatever they want on the internet and anyone can set up a web site.  And there are many who think if they see it on the internet, then it must be true. 

Another blatant example of a site claiming to give "travel advice" I came accross the other day is this one:

https://traveltriangle.com/blog/nude-beaches-in-thailand/

It actually claims that on the 5 beaches listed, which are regular, public beaches rather than some really hidden "secret" ones, it is possible to practice nudism. No way this is actually true. 

8 hours ago, anddy said:

it is possible to practice nudism. No way this is actually true. 

I disagree.  You can practice nudism at any beach you want - right up to the moment the police show up and arrest you.

Then you get to practice even more nudism at the police station when they order you to bend over and spread your cheeks.

But don't worry.  You can tell the police you saw a web site that said nudism at the beach is perfectly acceptable.  I'm sure the police will then apologize for arresting you, give you a wai, and immediately release you - maybe even giving you a lollypop on your way out the door . . .

"I went to a nude beach.  They made me park in a handicapped space"

-  Rodney Dangerfield