reader

Migrants to be allowed back to work

From Bangkok Post

The Ministry of Labour is preparing to allow the return of labourers from three neighbouring countries under a memorandum of understanding (MoU), after a survey showed 424,703 migrant workers are needed to bolster the nation's workforce.

Research by the Department of Employment (DoE) in May found that business operators need 256,029 Myanmar, 130,138 Cambodian and 38,536 Lao nationals in their workplaces.

Most of the jobs are in the agriculture, livestock, construction, hospitality services and garment production sectors.

The move is in line with government policy, overseen by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon, to solve labour shortage issues arising from the Covid-19 pandemic and its containment.

"Migrant workers can help to steer the business sector in the right direction, now and when the pandemic ends," DoE director-general Pairoj Chotikasathien said yesterday.

Last year, Mr Pairoj said the department must lower labour imports while attempting to help skilled workers return to the workforce to solve labour shortages.

In addition, the DoE is consulting with the Public Health Ministry and other state agencies to provide guidance to resume its intake of unskilled labourers under the MoU, Mr Pairoj said.

Cambodian migrants have traditionally been crucial to the Thai economy, especially the agricultural sector, along the border, Mr Suchart said.

Mr Suchart told the meeting that in light of Covid-19 outbreak, the ministry has revised labour regulations on documenting illegal labourers to ease employment issues.

This will lead to quicker issuing of work permits as well as covering their social security and health checks.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2169067/migrants-to-be-allowed-back-to-work

51 minutes ago, TotallyOz said:

Could any of their countries have done a worst job with vaccinations?

The MOU stated they will be vaccinated and quarantine. From the link on bangkok post, thats what it says. 

"The DoE is also preparing a special MoU to import labourers in some particular tasks. All must be vaccinated and quarantined first," Mr Suchart said.

I just hope that to be true. Who will vaccinate these migrant workers is not stated but if i were to guess, its not thailand. 

On 8/22/2021 at 6:36 PM, reader said:

Research by the Department of Employment (DoE) in May found that business operators need 256,029 Myanmar, 130,138 Cambodian and 38,536 Lao nationals in their workplaces.

Most of the jobs are in the agriculture, livestock, construction, hospitality services and garment production sectors.

I wonder if "hospitality services" include more intimate hospitality. It would be nice if it did and if the powers-that-be ensured that labour needs in this sector -- which ought to be classified as essential services -- are quickly met through importation of nationals from said countries. We're all ready to bring foreign exchange into Thailand!  It's been too long.

1 hour ago, macaroni21 said:

I wonder if "hospitality services" include more intimate hospitality. It would be nice if it did and if the powers-that-be ensured that labour needs in this sector -- which ought to be classified as essential services -- are quickly met through importation of nationals from said countries. We're all ready to bring foreign exchange into Thailand!  It's been too long.

Some of the immigrant workers in this sector never left ! 

I know some who claim to be staying illegally, others who somehow wrangle visa extensions via an agency at 4000 baht for every two months and some who just don't talk about it (presumably also illegal).  

A good question.    The correct spelling is border, with no a.

I presume:

1 They cannot officially return to Cambodia without quarantine.

2 Anyone officially stamped into Thailand can either:

(i) Extend their stay under the "unable to return home" rules, for which there is a fee at immigration.   

(ii) Continue staying illegally

(iii) Return home illegally, as it is apparently possible to walk across the border.

Anyone who was stamped into Thailand & takes an illegal option is probably making it difficult to return to Thailand in future.   Even if they try getting a brand new passport, I presume the fingerprinting and photographs at immigration could detect them.   After all, what's the point in fingerprinting if there is no database ?

I know of one Khmer who was officially applying for visa extensions and another who avoided discussing the topic.