reader

Avnti-Covid mouthwash

Although I applaud any legitimate means of reducing the spread of the virus, I have to wonder if most conventional mouthwashes don't also have a similar effect.

From The Nation

Mahidol University’s Faculty of Dentistry has patented a new mouthwash that reduces the spread of new coronavirus via patient’s saliva

The new mouthwash was developed in research with Mahidol University’s Faculty of Tropical Medicine to find a formula that help reduces the spreading of Covid-19.

“We use a safe amount of hydrogen peroxide as an anti-viral agent plus other ingredients that will not irritate the oral cavity,” said Dr Surakit Wisutthiwatthanakorn, director of Mahidol University’s Dentistry Hospital.

Surakit added that the trial phase among patients at the Dentistry Hospital revealed that the mouthwash is capable of killing more than 99.9 per cent of new coronavirus in patients’ saliva.

“For example, if a patient has 100,000 units of Covid-19 virus in their saliva, after using this mouthwash for one minute, only 41 units will still be alive,” he said. “Furthermore, the mouthwash is able to tackle mutated variants of the virus, as it eliminates the fat layer protecting the virus, rendering it incapable of multiplying.”

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40005468

The headline contains a claim that the mouthwash "reduces the spread of coronavirus via saliva".

Whilst it is obvious that a suitably strong mouthwash might kill coronavirus in saliva, the article contains no evidence that this is a common pathway for transmission.   I doubt anyone washes their lungs out with mouthwash, only the mouth.

Such nonsense is nothing new. Venture Life Sciences in the UK were trying to ramp their share price based on clinical trials of a mouthwash to kill covid back in 2020.  

5 hours ago, z909 said:

Such nonsense is nothing new. Venture Life Sciences in the UK were trying to ramp their share price based on clinical trials of a mouthwash to kill covid back in 2020.  

I attend one of the best private dentists in Thailand. Since mid-last year or thereabouts, just after taking off my mask I have been given a strong mouthwash prior to my teeth being examined. it tastes nothing like Listerine or similar mouthwashes and requires being rinsed in the mouth for 30 full seconds. Clearly it must do something to reduce the possibility of transmission. Perhaps the new Mahidol Version is more effective, I don't know.

4 hours ago, caeron said:

I agree. I suspect pretty much all strong mouthwash does the same, but I seriously doubt its effect on transmission is more than deminimus, so why?

but at least those trying that method of fighting covid will have much improved breath