Kevie770

Living in Brazil

I want to know more!  I can relate to you in a way.  The Thailand I experienced as a black man was a little different than the Thailand I read about on the gay forums where most contributors where Caucasian.  Of course I had no idea if my experience was typical for others like me but I did know they were different than the norm of the message boards.  Often the guys would seem to let their hair down and talk to me as if I was not one of the tourist they began to complain about.  Some of them shared with me some of the tricks they used to get more money from the guys, showing me text messages as well as money transfer notifications.  Only when it came time for me to settle up did they realize that they told me too much... Haha!

I don't know if my interaction with the guys in Brazil is typical...  So please continue to share, I'm sitting on the edge of anticipation!

• Members
4 hours ago, Kevie770 said:

the sauna in Bangu. It’s called Boate Casa Grande google it for the address and all that info. It’s best on Sunday but open on Friday and one other day I don’t remember. Don’t pay more than 100 and don’t go if it’s raining.

I looked on the map and this is WAY out there, but something I'd be curious to check out. Hopefully its busy time on Sunday is in the afternoon, as I would not know how to get back to my tourist hotel later at night. Is this a particularly rough neighborhood? What kind of garotos are here?

• Members

@bucknaway yes I find our experiences can be very different than others. I find there is a shared connection between most minority communities.

But when it comes to GP no matter how much you think they like you it’s about the money. They might give you a little more time at no charge if they enjoy your company but it’s about the real! Lol 

The community outside the GP world is where I think the difference really shows. Black culture is global and something we can all easily connect on. Plus we don’t stand out too much when we decide to go off the normal Gringo path.  No one looks at me weird when I go to Rochina on a Saturday night to listen to Somba in the street. 

The truth is I have never seen any violence in the favelas. The bandidos don’t allow it. There are steep penalties for commuting crimes in the favelas. I’ve been to more than 50 this year and never saw anything past a heated argument.  Now if you go to a favela where you don’t know anyone you will prob get robbed because you don’t know the bandidos chefe.

@davet I’ve always taken an Uber there and back and never had any type of delay in catching one. You can go as early as 3 or 4 but I usually get there around 6 and stay until around 9:30-10. The area is safe. 

• Members
On 9/12/2021 at 5:18 AM, Kevie770 said:

I have been wanting to write about my crazy adventures in Brazil. Because for the better part of the past year I have been living in Rio working remote. It’s been a life changing experience. Once I broke free of the GP scene (be careful it’s a trap). I discovered a whole new world! 

I have experienced places in Rio that I don’t think many Gringos or expats wouldn’t dare to venture to. Bailes in Mandu, São Joao, Penha, Providencia, CDD, Rocinha, Vidigal and so many other cool places. Which were all very safe for me because I used common sense. Also because I’m a young black man and I’m accompanied by other black Brazilians I never don’t feel safe.  

It’s been amazing getting to know people and really finding my place in the city. The experience of a younger bisexual black American man is a unique one. And it has gotten meinto some amazing situations. There are also some amazing parties outside the favelas gringos don’t go to. Park Bar in Lagoa on Wednesday night! 

When I do log in here I get a lot of questions about the sauna in Bangu. It’s called Boate Casa Grande google it for the address and all that info. It’s best on Sunday but open on Friday and one other day I don’t remember. Don’t pay more than 100 and don’t go if it’s raining.

Invest in learning Portuguese, the past 6 months I’ve taken it serious and it feels great actually knowing what people are saying around you. 

I've also spent significant time in Bahia so if you have any questions lmk.

And to think just a couple of weeks ago I found out the beach showers is where most people go to take a piss.Especially when the ocean is cold. Lol!!!

How has the experience of meeting guys in that area, beaches and Sauna’s been. Can you  explain based of stories . To show the differences . Like in the randomness of crusing to pick up guys. Or just something that happens by chance. Or how the guys differ from the main saunas .

• Members

Some people, especially the younger ones, are more adventurous.  But for me at my age, I am just content with the saunas in Rio and SP, heck I don't even have high demand for sex.  It would be enough just to feel those firm, muscled young bodies, and their hard cock oozing out their men juice.  I have no energy to travel up and down the country to explore new possibilities. That's just me tho.

• Members

Reading through some of the posts here, I get jealous, wishing I could still enjoy the sauna like you all. Enjoy it how I did a couple of years ago when I first came to Rio. Now the novelty has worn off, and I only go when friends are in town or a random Tuesday or Wednesday to see what’s new. And it always feels like a waste of time. I'm connected on SM to any of the guys I’m interested in, and 117 never seems to have any new guys that fit what I like. 202 is the definition of hit or miss. 

But I must say I went to Bangu two Sundays ago and had a great time. It was full of favela guys, and some were sexy. 

Anyways I’m going to Santo Domingo for Halloween. I’ll try to write a little here about it. I’m going to reach out to Manny. Hopefully, he’s forgotten my public criticism. Lol

14 hours ago, scott456 said:

My biggest gripe about saunas is the room quality. The cheap, worn bed sheet, the furnishing, even the TV set, they are all the lowest quality.

I can't remember the last time I rented a suite because of that....117 has the most decent rooms.....but still don't go to them.

• Members
8 hours ago, Vanbcanthony said:

Curious about what the monthly budget will be for living comfortably in big cities like Sao Paulo, Rio, Belo Horizonte, and etc. 

Do you mean what budget is needed for an expat American or European to have a middle-class standard of living @Vanbcanthony or for a local?

I have a few Brazilian friends, two who are in the middle class and each of them has told me of how they live from paycheck to paycheck (with a nice flat in SP, newish car etc) but little savings.

• Members
10 hours ago, msclelovr said:

Do you mean what budget is needed for an expat American or European to have a middle-class standard of living @Vanbcanthony or for a local?

I have a few Brazilian friends, two who are in the middle class and each of them has told me of how they live from paycheck to paycheck (with a nice flat in SP, newish car etc) but little savings.

Yes, for an American expat to live/retire comfortably in the big cities. Probably will just rent. Comparable standard of living.

Do you know how much you need to earn per month in order to be classified as middle class? 

On 10/21/2021 at 3:50 PM, Kevie770 said:

Reading through some of the posts here, I get jealous, wishing I could still enjoy the sauna like you all. Enjoy it how I did a couple of years ago when I first came to Rio. Now the novelty has worn off, and I only go when friends are in town or a random Tuesday or Wednesday to see what’s new. And it always feels like a waste of time. I'm connected on SM to any of the guys I’m interested in, and 117 never seems to have any new guys that fit what I like. 202 is the definition of hit or miss. 

But I must say I went to Bangu two Sundays ago and had a great time. It was full of favela guys, and some were sexy. 

Anyways I’m going to Santo Domingo for Halloween. I’ll try to write a little here about it. I’m going to reach out to Manny. Hopefully, he’s forgotten my public criticism. Lol

I do hope that you write more than "a little.":)    If the pandemic has decreased considerably by 2023 and my health is fine-- I plan to return to Santo Domingo.  My trip there (with a group of approximately 30 men) in 2005 was fine but was not completely enjoyable.  Along with my encountering a torn ligament in my right knee which put a huge halt into some of my anticipated adventures, the men with whom I traveled, overall, were too damn cliquish for me.

Enjoy your impending trip, and try to remain safe!

• Members

Comparing costs for the expat life is difficult and subjective because what do you need to feel a comfortable middle class life? Middle class for Americans (living space, car,  spotless restaurants, convenience, top-notch health care) or for elite coastal Americans (art, culture, global cuisines) would be almost the American budget. The well-to-do in Brazil make and spend as much money as any American, with vacations to the Amalfi Coast and all that. However, comfortable middle-class Brazilian (tiny apartments, neighborhood por quilo restaurant, long public transport commutes) would be much less if you can tolerate the somewhat decrease in expectations.