reader

Thailand welcomes visitors from 46 countries from Nov 1

From Bangkok Post

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha says Thailand will open the country to visitors from 46 countries instead of only 10 Covid-19 low-risk countries announced earlier, starting from Nov 1.

He did not name the countries in the post on his Facebook page on Thursday evening, but wrote it was now necessary to speed up the opening.

"If we wait until everything is fully ready, we'll be too late. Besides, tourists may choose to go elsewhere," read the post.

He added that he was aware the acceleration brought with it the risk of more local infections.

"But this is a risk we must accept. I think, like other countries, Thailand is now better equipped to deal with the risk. And we need to learn to live with it."

Visitors from the 46 countries, described as the first low-risk group, may enter Thailand by air without quarantine, provided they have been fully vaccinated and have evidence of negative test results before taking flights. They must also agree to take another test upon arrival.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2201875/thailand-welcomes-visitors-from-46-countries-from-nov-1

===============================

I read  last night that the Aviation Authority of Thailand is planning exercises at international airports, simulating arrival of international tourists under the seven conditions previously released. The exercises are scheduled for Oct. 25. Those will presumably determine fine tuning of how tourists will be received andprocessed.

OK, so the list of countries is finally published, as they promised last week.   Good news.

Then regarding the "Exemption from Quarantine Option".

1  The wording says we are required to wait at a SHA+ hotel for one night or until we receive the covid test result.     So it may be near quarantine for one night. 

2  Travelers are responsible for the covid test fees, which "are included in the hotel reservation".     This is a similar principle to that applied for previous ASQ hotels.  

TAT refers us to the following site for SHA+ hotels:  https://www.thailandsha.com/shalists/?type=&province=20-Chon+Buri&keyword=

Since it specifies a SHA+ hotel, I'm guessing we need to check the SHA+ box so we are not shown mere SHA hotels ?

I'm presuming we need dedicated transport to the hotel, as with ASQ.    No taking the airport rail link or bus. 

247452158_Table of options.jpg

From Bangkok Post

Three schemes set to welcome visitors

Thailand's reopening will introduce three entry schemes for international tourists, while the list of countries eligible for quarantine-free entry without area restrictions is expected to be released on Friday.

The first scheme, called "Test & Go", will come with minimal requirements for inoculated tourists from low-risk countries who also have a high economic impact on Thai tourism, said Yuthasak Supasorn, Tourism Authority of Thailand governor.

Under the first scheme, tourists must show a vaccine certificate that shows complete doses of a vaccine type approved by the World Health Organisation administered at least 14 days before arrival, a negative RT-PCR result obtained no more than 72 hours before arrival and Covid-19 insurance. Covid-19 insurance coverage has been reduced from US$100,000 to $50,000.

Travellers can arrive at any international airport in Thailand and must undergo another RT-PCR test which would have been pre-booked along with the first night in an SHA Plus hotel, as hotels will help manage the test procedure for their guests.

While waiting for the result, guests must stay in a hotel within a two-hour drive from the airport.

For instance, if tourists enter via Suvarnabhumi airport, they can choose an SHA Plus hotel in Bangkok or go directly to Pattaya. For destinations further away, they need to stay in Bangkok or a nearby province before continuing with their trips.

After getting negative results, they can continue their journey to anywhere in the country without restriction and do not have to undergo a second test.

The second scheme named "Living in Blue Zone" is reserved for inoculated tourists from other countries apart from the list.

Travellers don't have to be kept in quarantine but can travel within 17 Blue Zone provinces during first seven days and must take the second test on day six or day seven with an antigen test kit, which is less expensive than RT-PCR.

According to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, the Blue Zone will be expanded to 33 provinces from December, before increasing to 45 provinces from January 2022.

Blue Zone provinces are designated areas that are ready to welcome international tourists and completed mass vaccination of at least 70%.

Meanwhile, unvaccinated tourists still can visit the kingdom under the third scheme, named "Happy Quarantine", under which they must stay in alternative quarantine facilities for 10 days.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2202063/three-schemes-set-to-welcome-visitors

With Singaore and the UK experiencing near record numbers of cases, I am surprised they are on the list. Also I heard this morning that there is now a new mutation of the Delta Variant which is accounting for 6% of new cases appearing in the UK. This is thought to be 10% - 15% more transmissible than the original Delta variant.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/21/the-delta-variant-has-a-mutation-what-we-know-so-far.html

The farang is always able to ask more and more as the poor Thai can answer or has thought about.

Strange that f.e. LUxemburg is not on the list-enclosed between Belgium/Germany/France. All firm EU-memberstates. Too small to care about, I guess. But ny now covid infection rates are again going way up, even though 70/80% or so of people have been vaccinated

It is also not clear If one has to stay INside that booked hotel or can explore asap untill result of thai test. BTW: they seem to have learnt-many people booked HTL and then cancelled after all the burocrazy paperwrok for sandbox-you now have to show HTL is paid.

Other minor prob: state insurance for medical cost here never shows amounts or MAX-as there is effectively no MAX. So there have been since Thailand opened endless quizzles with Thai embassy as they stick to the rules of an insurance that shows amounts.

Twice vaccinated and never had any test since covid entered this world, I still hesitate much about going or booking on these conditions.

1 minute ago, spoon said:

When trying to search for SHA+ hotels, all i get is phuket sandbox hotels. For bangkok, its ASQ. What website we can use to browse the list of hotels for this?

At this point i'm just confused why don't I go with the second "sandbox" scheme since the provinces have expanded to include bangkok and such. Then I don't even need to stay in hotel room for the first night.

1634912756.jpg

Sandbox scheme will restrict you to only blue zone area and required to take several pcr tests. Minimum booking of SHA+ hotels for 7 days. I believe u still need to stay in your hotel until your arrival test result is out even for sandbox. They can only travel out of the blue zone after 14 days.

5 hours ago, spoon said:

When trying to search for SHA+ hotels, all i get is phuket sandbox hotels. For bangkok, its ASQ. What website we can use to browse the list of hotels for this?

TAT refer us to this:   https://www.thailandsha.com/shalists/index?type=2-Hotel%2C+accommodation+and+Homestay&province=&keyword=

Beware there is a small SHA+ tick box.    My presumption is we tick it to be shown SHA+ hotels, rather than merely SHA hotels. 

Nothing useful like SHA+ prices though. 

18 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

This is any "IF" question: What happens if the PCR test conducted on arrival is positive? Is one bundled off to a hospital? Or is a further quarantine period imposed, staying where? 

Another question: What if someone on the same flight tests positive?

Good questions.      Previous systems bundled people off to hospital and there was the case of a Phuket tourist sent to hospital after someone else failed a covid test on a plane.     If the latter happens, I think it's time to show some backbone and rather strongly point out to the terms explained by the government.   ie IF we pass the test, we are free to go. 

I've got my FFP3 masks ready for the next trip.   I normally wear FFP2, where needed, but will be wearing FFP3 from about a week before the trip until after I have taken the arrival covid test.  

There are UK studies showing FFP3 masks cab dramatically reduce the chances of catching covid, but the plonkers on SAGE have not adjusted advice.

I shall also be packing a few lateral flow tests.

3 hours ago, z909 said:

TAT refer us to this:   https://www.thailandsha.com/shalists/index?type=2-Hotel%2C+accommodation+and+Homestay&province=&keyword=

Beware there is a small SHA+ tick box.    My presumption is we tick it to be shown SHA+ hotels, rather than merely SHA hotels. 

Nothing useful like SHA+ prices though. 

Using this, and choosing bangkok, nothing came up. I guess need to wait for further updates from them

On 10/21/2021 at 9:14 PM, z909 said:

OK, so the list of countries is finally published, as they promised last week.   Good news.

Then regarding the "Exemption from Quarantine Option".

1  The wording says we are required to wait at a SHA+ hotel for one night or until we receive the covid test result.     So it may be near quarantine for one night. 

2  Travelers are responsible for the covid test fees, which "are included in the hotel reservation".     This is a similar principle to that applied for previous ASQ hotels.  

TAT refers us to the following site for SHA+ hotels:  https://www.thailandsha.com/shalists/?type=&province=20-Chon+Buri&keyword=

Since it specifies a SHA+ hotel, I'm guessing we need to check the SHA+ box so we are not shown mere SHA hotels ?

I'm presuming we need dedicated transport to the hotel, as with ASQ.    No taking the airport rail link or bus. 

247452158_Table of options.jpg

The schemes for entering Thailand is making me dizzy , I won't return to Thailand till all this madness is over.

23 hours ago, spoon said:

Using this, and choosing bangkok, nothing came up. I guess need to wait for further updates from them

It had options  in Bangkok a couple of days ago, but I also see nothing at present.

5 hours ago, Boy69 said:

The schemes for entering Thailand is making me dizzy , I won't return to Thailand till all this madness is over.

I agree. They are too complicated. I too will wait. 

I am pretty sure that in a couple of months the rules will change again, more likely in the direction of further loosening than tightening. Don't see the point of dealing with these complexities right now.

Me too. I see too many problems, inconveniences and ambiguities relating to the journey....which, as older posters know,  becomes more stressful as the year roll by, even without Covid's intervention.

Here's one of them;  when booking a trip, can we apply for a Pass next month , ready to use in January or beyond? or do we have to have a flight already paid for?  

4 hours ago, Ryanqqq said:

Also entertainment venues are still closed. I have my hotel reservations in December. Still not sure if I will push through.

Even if entertainment venues allowed to open many of them went bankrupt and I don't know how many  will reopen their gates in December , Unfortunately it will take long time to recover . In my opinion December is too soon to make a booking and it's better to wait and see what the future is holding for the land of smiles.

22 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

Even if entertainment venues allowed to open many of them went bankrupt and I don't know how many  will reopen their gates in December , Unfortunately it will take long time to recover . In my opinion December is too soon to make a booking and it's better to wait and see what the future is holding for the land of smiles.

I’ve done a few trips already in France and Spain just armed with the vaccine certification. Extremely smooth process in airports.
Not the same as Thailand for food, weather, and other important things 😉 but I guess not much choice this year.