reader

International airlines return 80% of their airport slots in Thailand for the next five months

From Thai PBS World

International airlines have returned as many as 80% of their airport slots at Thailand’s six international airports between October 31st and March 26th next year, indicating their uncertainty over a recovery in the aviation sector, according to Nitinai Sirisamatthakarn, the managing director of Airports of Thailand (AOT) Public Company.

AOT operates Suvarnabhumi, Don Muaeng, Phuket, Hat Yai, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai’s Mae Fah Luang international airports.

He disclosed that the lowest point for the aviation industry in Thailand was from July to September, this year, after the Thai government suspended all regular flights as a precautionary measure to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, during which average daily arrivals at the six international airports was only 50 passengers.

The situation has improved since Thailand eased travel restrictions in October this year, with an average of 30,000 arrivals a day.

Airlines have given up 100% of their slots at Don Muaeng airport and about 70% of those at Suvarnabhumi, said Nitinai.

AOT suffered 11 billion baht in operational losses in the first nine months of this year and an estimated 10 billion baht for the whole year, he said, adding that business over the next two years will, however, gradually recover.

Penyos Pibulsongkhram, director of commercial affairs for the Vietjet airline, said that the aviation industry is still in crisis, although the situation is improving.

Airport slots represent permission granted to an airline by the owner of an airport to use the airport’s facilities for landing and take-off.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/international-airlines-return-80-of-their-airport-slots-in-thailand-for-the-next-five-months/

25 minutes ago, macaroni21 said:

Wasn't DMK the base for Air Asia? Is that airline no longer flying?

They have ticket to bangkok from KL for sale. But they are also notorious for cancelling and rescheduling flights, and this has been very frequent during pandemic. Their strategy seems to be sell as many tickets and provide free change for cancelled/rescheduled flights, or free credit refund (good for future booking). Instead of only offering limited flight like some of the more reliable airlines.

18 hours ago, spoon said:

They have ticket to bangkok from KL for sale. But they are also notorious for cancelling and rescheduling flights, and this has been very frequent during pandemic. Their strategy seems to be sell as many tickets and provide free change for cancelled/rescheduled flights, or free credit refund (good for future booking). Instead of only offering limited flight like some of the more reliable airlines.

If I was airline I'd be doing the same in current circumstances. They are as much in dark as us. 

Other airlines are offering what seem like good fares but then you find there are expensive add ons. I booked on Qatar to the UK in March - 4 sectors with plane change in Doha. Every other time I have booked a biz class ticket, lounge access and seat selection have been part of the advertised price. I know some other airlines make you pay for seat selection - notably the huge fees charged by British Airways - but never before on Qatar. My ticket ended up 20,000 baht more than the basic offered on the website because I do need to select seats on overnight flights and I just prefer to spend a a long stopover in Doha in the excellent lounge than sitting for hours in the noisy departure area. My choice which others might prefer to forego.

I had the same unfortunate experience with Finnair. I used to fly with them to Bangkok in business. They've now begun charging extra for seat assignment, lounge access and any luggage in the hold. That makes for a significant price increase, well above what I've always paid for the same service from them. I'm looking elsewhere, but I fear this might be the new trend.

4 hours ago, JimmyJoe said:

They've now begun charging extra for seat assignment, lounge access and any luggage in the hold. That makes for a significant price increase, well above what I've always paid for the same service from them. I'm looking elsewhere, but I fear this might be the new trend.

Looks that mainstream lines are successfully copying what discount ones are doing for a while. I find system of charging for hold luggage useful as it prevents me from all that unnecessary shopping.