Will7272

Silom bars

20 minutes ago, Will7272 said:

Any current news about the bar scene around Silom. Are any open yet, busy ?

No bars or clubs are open 
Only places with restaurant licenses.
And they are not allowed to sell alcohol (and probably still not tomorrow if they don't have an SHA license).

If you want current news -- follow Richard Barrow on Facebook or Twitter.

20 hours ago, thaiophilus said:

"12/1" ?

In ISO 8601 standard date notation is that 2021-12-01, 2022-01-12 or (TiT, after all) something else?

It is a new normal flexy-date which defines a series of dates 12/1/2021, 12/1/2022, 12/1/2023, .., one of which might actually become true depending on Schrödingers cat or on Thai politicians.

8 hours ago, PeterRS said:

So you don't think it odd that the term 9/11 has come to mean just one thong over the years since that dreadful event?

(Really? So nobody in the US does any business on the 11th of September? 🤨)

No, I don't think it's odd. In that context, "9/11" isn't a date, it's a label for a particular event. As the Wikipedia entry for that event says,

'"9/11" redirects here. It is not to be confused with November 9 or September 11.'

But I don't think it's relevant, either. It doesn't make "12/1" (or "1/12") any less ambiguous.

3 hours ago, thaiophilus said:

10) "9/11" isn't a date

2) But I don't think it's relevant, either. It doesn't make "12/1" (or "1/12") any less ambiguous.

1) Oh really? News to me!

2) To some, perhaps! If you expect the bars not to reopen until 1 December 2022, I guess you haven't been reading the various threads on bar openings and tourism opening.

12 hours ago, PeterRS said:

So you don't think it odd that the term 9/11 has come to mean just one thong over the years since that dreadful event?

9/11 certainly does not mean the majority of the world''s population who use ISO DD/MM/YYYY   have to change to MM/DD/YYYY, just because it is used by approximately 300 million people. 

If writing for an English speaking audience, I was told many years ago that using 1/Dec/2021 avoids all doubt.   

If writing for an international audience, using numbers, either use the international standard or expect to be misunderstood.

On 11/2/2021 at 11:14 AM, thaiophilus said:

In that context, "9/11" isn't a date, it's a label for a particular event. As the Wikipedia entry for that event says,

'"9/11" redirects here. It is not to be confused with November 9 or September 11.'

21 hours ago, PeterRS said:
On 11/2/2021 at 11:14 AM, thaiophilus said:

10) "9/11" isn't a date

1) Oh really? News to me!

Neat bit of out-of-context quoting there, especially as the words you've omitted were "In that context".

• Members
10 hours ago, orson said:

Heard someone said it is permanently closed. Crossing my fingers that it is wrong info.

The Tawan used to be my favourite Bangkok bar. I was last in Bangkok just short of 3 years ago and the Tawan was a tragic shadow of its former self. I only hope if it reopens it can reinvent itself.

• Members
7 minutes ago, vinapu said:

I'd say it better opens even if not re-invented

I would love to agree with you but honestly on my last trip it was just dreadful. A handful of fat, out of shape heavily tattooed “boys” on offer. I recall Tawan in the early 2000’s and it was just wonderful. A smorgasbord of fit handsome men who were friendly and playful. Oh for those glory days!

I'm not inclined to read too much into this until the matter is decided, reportedly on Friday. It appears to be as much about politics as it does public health. If the Dec. 1 reopening phase is actually scaled back, it throws into chaos the plans of many clubs that are now gearing up to open their doors.

From Pattaya Mail

Thailand to consider keeping bars, clubs closed through New Year

The Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration on Friday will consider a proposal to keep Thailand’s bars, nightclubs and other entertainment venues closed through the new year, with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha admonishing operators not to be “selfish.”

Thai media reported today that at the weekly Cabinet meeting, ministers discussed the idea of keeping entertainment businesses, including karaoke clubs and soapy massage parlors, shuttered until 2022 to prevent another major coronavirus outbreak over the holidays.

Despite the holiday worries, the Cabinet moved forward with plans for five large regional new year’s “countdown” events.

Previously, Prayut had told the nation that the resumption of alcohol sales in restaurants and the reopening of bars would be considered in December.

The alcohol ban was lifted in parts or all of Bangkok, Phuket, Krabi and Phangnga provinces when they were designated “blue” tourism zones this month and 17 more blue zones likely will be announced for December.

Bars, clubs and parlors appear to be another matter, however. Those who don’t have nefarious connections – such as the many straight-up watering holes on lower Sukhumvit Road and Khao San Road – remain closed.

The same is true for nightclubs. Big nightspots in the RCA area or on Soi 11 continue to be shut down while Thai clubs with the aforementioned nefarious connections are back to normal, such as Top One in the Rachada area, which has bottle service, live bands and discos lights going nightly.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/thailand-to-consider-keeping-bars-clubs-closed-through-new-year-378789