Will7272

Silom bars

On 11/11/2021 at 9:56 AM, Ruthrieston said:

4 weekends of a big music festival on Pattaya beach, and fireworks celebration at the end of November and full on Loy Kratong, but no bars allowed to open??? Insanity reigns. Sigh.

Such a plan may well draw domestic tourists; this market doesn't need the bars that farangs frequent. Even in the past, how often did we see Thais in the bars?

2 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

Such a plan may well draw domestic tourists; this market doesn't need the bars that farangs frequent. Even in the past, how often did we see Thais in the bars?

Because we stick to the bars that catered for tourists. If u go to those local bars, ud see almost all thais with no foreigners. Gov can choose to open only tourist bars, and have the thai locals angry at them, and then went to those bars resulting in overcrowd, or close all, or open all. I guess they chose to close all

2 minutes ago, spoon said:

Because we stick to the bars that catered for tourists. If u go to those local bars, ud see almost all thais with no foreigners. Gov can choose to open only tourist bars, and have the thai locals angry at them, and then went to those bars resulting in overcrowd, or close all, or open all. I guess they chose to close all

So what will potential tourists do if they come to Thailand sit at their rooms and watch TV ?

Ridiculous .

The Bangkok Post reports confirms the delay but contains some conflicting information.

"CCSA spokesman Taweesilp Visanuyothin said the CCSA meeting chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha decided to defer by another month a plan to allow pubs, bars and karaokes to reopen on Dec 1. The new tentative reopening date was set for Jan 16 and only for some areas, depending on the Covid-19 situation."

Later in the same article:

"By Dec 1, we will also consider allowing the consumption of alcoholic beverages in restaurants, as well as the reopening of entertainment venues under appropriate health precautions to support the revitalisation of the tourism and leisure sectors, especially during the new year period..."

That seems to leave the door open for a mid-December opening but it's certainly nothing to hang you hat on, given the messaging that emerged from Friday's meeting.

If I was already planning a trip prior to year's end I don't see anything here that would cause me to cancel. As others have mentioned, it's still going to be Bangkok regardless of what restrictions are actually in place when you arrive.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2214487/reopening-delayed-for-nightclubs-bars

I do wonder why the hell they are waiting so long.

Here's a comparison of vaccination rates in a few selected countries.  Their Thai data lags the actual reports & I make the actual status as 119 doses per 100 people, when the graph shows 116.9.

Thailand already has vaccination rates that are comparable with those when other countries removed restrictions.

Furthermore, if they keep bars shut for another 2 months & continue vaccinating at the current rate, it's going to be equivalent to 90% of the population having 2 doses.  

Bear in mind that not everyone will want to have the vaccine and additionally, it's debatable whether a vaccine is beneficial for very young people.

Having said that, I've learnt to adapt to changing circumstances in Thailand.  

Thai vaccine.JPG

Today's announcement that the opening of club venues will be delayed until Jan. 16 doesn't make any mention of some high-end club venues in the RCA (Royal City Avenue) area, which were reported to be already open in an earlier post in this thread.

RCA is the epicenter of the hi-so clubbing scene, stretching from Rama 9 on one end to Phetchaburi Road on the other.

6 hours ago, Boy69 said:

So what will potential tourists do if they come to Thailand sit at their rooms and watch TV ?

Ridiculous .

I agree that continuing bar closures are ridiculous and provide further evidence to show the government does not care at all about people whose livelihoods depend on the tourism and leisure industry.

However, not everyone here has a Homer Simpson lifestyle.   

10 hours ago, reader said:

Today's announcement that the opening of club venues will be delayed until Jan. 16 doesn't make any mention of some high-end club venues in the RCA (Royal City Avenue) area, which were reported to be already open in an earlier post in this thread.

RCA is the epicenter of the hi-so clubbing scene, stretching from Rama 9 on one end to Phetchaburi Road on the other.

The instagram stories i'm seeing from thai boys partying on Khaosan Rd drinking until 3am makes me wonder how they plan to enforce these rules anywhere, Hi-So or not.

Prohibition doesn't work, either they will relax the rules or the population will begin to ignore them and they will lose more control.

You'll find scattered posts about open (and some closed) massage shops on the board over the past several months.

Although there have been reports of some open in the Silom area, they appear more numerous the further out you go. The Saphan Kwai area (reachable by BTS) has been mentioned several times.

Most are offering both on-site and off-site service, and I heard one report that a few are not charging an off fee.

Totally Oz has posted about some of the offerings.

Many shops have LINE accounts.

6 hours ago, abidismaili said:

What about massage shops? They can be open?

Not forgetting of course that even if you're vaccinated or not there is a valid reason WHY they're closing everywhere and so putting yourself ( and then others) at risk if you catch or pass on Covid that you picked up somwhere like that by flouting the health advice / rules is something to consider too of course - if even just for your own health if nothing else.

13 hours ago, vaughn said:

Prohibition doesn't work, either they will relax the rules or the population will begin to ignore them and they will lose more control.

In common with many other politicians, I expect the Thai authorities learn nothing at all from history.

5 minutes ago, NIrishGuy said:

Not forgetting of course that even if you're vaccinated or not there is a valid reason WHY they're closing everywhere and so putting yourself ( and then others) at risk if you catch or pass on Covid that you picked up somwhere like that by flouting the health advice / rules is something to consider too of course - if even just for your own health if nothing else.

(i)   Before vaccination, my risk of dying if I caught covid was slightly over 1%.   Now it's probably below 0.1%, with vaccination and other treatment advances.   My probability of dying in the next 12 months from other factors is 0.35%, so I'm not going to live my life in fear of covid.

(ii) The kind of slim lad under 30 that I'd have as a masseur has a probability of dying from covid that's orders of magnitude below mine.

As for massage places, even in January 2021 where massage places in Chonburi were supposed to be closed, many were still open.   Including some in direct line of sight of manned police boxes.  

13 hours ago, z909 said:

As for massage places, even in January 2021 where massage places in Chonburi were supposed to be closed, many were still open.   Including some in direct line of sight of manned police boxes.  

20 hours ago, abidismaili said:

What about massage shops? They can be open? 

I've checked my line account during the whole year and all I saw were owners of massage shops promoting and getting new boys. I don't think they've yet closed once this year (as long as they pay the local police well) and these are all in bangkok

There was a notice by Arena that they were reopening on October 1st when the lockdowns rules were relaxed and I believe they did reopen and that other massage places were able to as well. 

On 11/13/2021 at 1:20 PM, z909 said:

(i)   Before vaccination, my risk of dying if I caught covid was slightly over 1% etc etc......

Yep, and you both can be asymptomatic and pass it on to others of course, but hey, who's caring about that as long as you're already Jack eh.......anyway, you're right, make your own choices, I'm merely pointing out why the rules were there to begin with, as to whether you chose to follow them or not is of course 'up to you" - just lets not all complain when covid is still with us all in a year or two from now with possible lockdowns and dear knows what still occurring then eh.

1 hour ago, NIrishGuy said:

just lets not all complain when covid is still with us all in a year or two from now with possible lockdowns and dear knows what still occurring then eh.

As I understand it, Covid will still be with us in 1 year, 10 years etc.

To put it in perspective, in the last 6 months in England and Wales, there have been 37,000 deaths with flu mentioned on the death certificate and 11,715 with Covid mentioned.   We don't shut the country down for flu and should not do so for covid, now there are vaccines. 

This ratio ought to improve once everyone over 50 gets a mRNA booster.

2 hours ago, NIrishGuy said:

Yep, and you both can be asymptomatic and pass it on to others of course

there's no way to prevent passing bug by asymptomatic people as they have no idea they have it. Or there's way , locking everybody for 2-3 weeks but after that we could have no covid but nations full of hungry and depressed zombies.

And governments need to take calculated risk , if only to keep economies rolling. There are nations heavily dependent on tourism - think about small Caribbean island states and in almost every nation there are heavily tourist dependent places  like Pattaya, Venice, Mar del Plata or Sharm-el-Sheikh just to name a few. While UK can afford closing Brighton can be the same said about Cuba and Varadero ?