Will7272

Silom bars

1 hour ago, spoon said:

I guess dj station open as a restaurant? I wonder what u can and cannot do since its not opening as a night club

'restaurant' in name only is what most places are doing it seems.

From what i am seeing in insta stories of the boys in other places in bangkok, it is business as usual, dancing, bottles and drinks on the tables, no food in sight. They're partying it up until 2-3am.
They might reduce capacity, temp checks, QR code and vaccine checks, but i can't say for sure.

On 11/12/2021 at 6:55 PM, z909 said:

I do wonder why the hell they are waiting so long.

Here's a comparison of vaccination rates in a few selected countries.  Their Thai data lags the actual reports & I make the actual status as 119 doses per 100 people, when the graph shows 116.9.

Thailand already has vaccination rates that are comparable with those when other countries removed restrictions.

@z909 may well know more about this than I, but aren't the vaccinations in Thailand progressively working down through the age groups. So while 30s and up may well have had their two vaccinations, younger people have not. And surely it will be younger people who mostly hit the bars?

From Bangkok Post

Govt explains delay in reopening entertainment venues

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration has given two reasons for delaying the reopening of entertainment places, and said operators must improve disease control standards.

Apisamai Srirangson, a spokeswoman for the CCSA, admitted on Friday that when the  government postponed their reopening from December to Jan 16 the operators of entertainment venues were bitterly disappointed.

One reason for the delay was that the country had not been able to bring the number of new daily Covid-19 cases to below 5,000 and fatalities continued at about 50 a day, she said.

The other reason was the Public Health Ministry and local organisations said the operators of entertainment venues had not registered compliance with the Covid-19 control standard, known as Amazing Thailand Safety and Health Administration Plus (SHA+), Dr Apisamai said.

The standard was mandatory for reopening, she said.

"Please improve your premises ... Whether reopening will happen or not does not depend on the decision of CCSA, but on the readiness of the premises themselves," Dr Apisamai said.

Covid-19 vaccination of staff of entertainment venues was among the criteria of the SHA+ standard. Details of the standard were available from the Department of Health, she said.

Premises that met the standard would get an SHA+ sign from the Tourism Authority of Thailand. Visitors would look for such signs at entertainment venues, Dr Apisamai said.

Under the CCSA's plan, from Nov 16 to Jan 15 the Interior and Public Health ministries would enforce disease control and ventilation regulations and officials would evaluate the reopening readiness of entertainment places.

From Jan 16 onwards, entertainment places would reopen only in high surveillance, surveillance and tourism pilot zones. Places that cause Covid-19 outbreaks would be closed.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2218367/govt-explains-delay-in-reopening-entertainment-venues

25 minutes ago, reader said:

One reason for the delay was that the country had not been able to bring the number of new daily Covid-19 cases to below 5,000 and fatalities continued at about 50 a day, she said.

at least they try to standardize whole decision making process which I like. Them both population and tourists know what goal is which it's much better than somebody's whim.

Whether  that standard itself makes much sense it's another matter.

12 hours ago, PeterRS said:

@z909 may well know more about this than I, but aren't the vaccinations in Thailand progressively working down through the age groups. So while 30s and up may well have had their two vaccinations, younger people have not. And surely it will be younger people who mostly hit the bars?

I have no clue about how Thailand has been prioritizing vaccinations.  

In the UK, it was very clearly older people, vulnerable & NHS employees first, then progressively working down the age range.    With people in all areas of the country on approximately the same schedule.

In Thailand, I've been reading reports of relatively young people having vaccinations quite some time ago.   Also, some on third doses, whilst others have none.   The vaccination rate in Bangkok has been reported as far ahead of the rest of the country.  

Also, young people don't have that much to fear from covid.  Many don't even notice they have it and the death rate is negligible.   Covid will be nowhere near top of the list of causes of death for young people in Thailand.   If you want to stop them dying, start by enforcing wearing of helmets on motorcycles, at zero cost rather than tackle something which hardly ever kills them. 

It is unfortunate that Thailand is still using metrics like "5000 cases per day".   Covid is likely to be around for years and 5000 cases per day really doesn't matter.    

What does matter is the number of severe cases and deaths.    Once this is at a level where the death rate is below that for other causes of death, it makes no sense at all to be shutting the country down  for one cause of death, whilst continuing to ignore others.  

Just for some perspective, even in 2020, the age standardized mortality rate in the UK was better than 2008 and all preceding years.  Now with vaccines, it will be comparable to 2~3 years ago.  The UK government and most of the population recognize this is no reason to shut the country down.  Guardian journalists are an exception.

I expect the same kind of data will be seen in Thailand, if I knew where to get it.  

There might be some minor differences, such as a later start to the vaccine programme, more favourable climate & some other major causes of premature death which get totally ignored, such as road safety and pollution.   

All the Thai government needs to do is keep vaccinating, buy some mRNA vaccines and start opening the country up right now.     

If they're worried about premature deaths, look at the causes of premature deaths first.  Then set policy.

From Pattaya Mail

Entertainment venues ask government to speed up the reopening

The National Security Council (NSC) has indicated that discussions will take place next week over relaxing Covid curbs on additional activities such as entertainment venues, bars, pubs, and karaoke places. The prime minister will then make a decision before December 1 whether the relaxation will be implemented.

National Security Council chief Gen. Supoj Malaniyom said further assessment is required before entertainment venues, pubs, bars, and karaoke places can be allowed to open. He said the government was concerned for the businesses and the prime minister had been calling for the plights of all groups of businesses to be addressed.

Gen. Supoj referred to requests from a group representing pubs, bars and musicians asking for the government to speed up the reopening of entertainment venues. Although entrepreneurs representing the group had asserted they were ready to adhere to COVID-19 prevention measures, the group was told that the situation did not favor a reopening of the venues on December 1. The plans and proposals submitted by the representatives will be presented to the prime minister.

The NSC secretary-general said the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration will be evaluating the situation once more next week and will present its findings to the prime minister for consideration before December 1. Gen. Supoj added that the number of countries and territories whose nationals will be allowed to enter Thailand without quarantine will be re-evaluated on December 1, but a full lifting of restrictions in all provinces was not yet at hand. (NNT)

https://www.pattayamail.com/coronavirus/entertainment-venues-in-thailand-ask-government-to-speed-up-the-reopening-380000

From The Thaiger

Nightlife venues and bars told to keep closed

Thailand’s nightlife cat and mouse game between authorities and desperate bar and nightlife businesses will continue until the middle of January 2022.

Following deliberations from the CCSA yesterday, entertainment venues will have to keep their doors closed until at least January 16. To put an exclamation mark after the latest announcement, the Thai government has also extended the emergency decree until at least the end of January 2022.

Thailand’s nightlife cat and mouse game between authorities and desperate bar and nightlife businesses will continue until the middle of January 2022.

But the CCSA did admit that “the situation is very fluid” and that they could grant exemptions “under extenuating circumstances”.

Bars in some of the country’s hot tourist zones, particularly in Phuket, have been openly flouting the rules in an effort to kick-start their businesses and put their staff back to work.

Despite a month of petitions and social media campaigns for a December 1 reopening, Pattaya’s lucrative nightlife was dealt an expensive blow at the meeting with the original January 16 date rubber stamped. The CCSA spokesperson addressed the petitions made to the committee during the past week but said that “the National Security Council decided the risk of outbreaks is too high at present to bring the schedule forward, due to the limited ventilation and closer contact among densely packed customers at pubs and bars.

“But if entertainment venues can fully cooperate with the government and show they are truly ready, it could be possible for them to reopen a bit earlier.”

The petitions and lobbying has been led by Pattaya’s NightWish Group and other bars, and fully supported by the Pattaya Mayor and council officials who are aware of the damage the long term closures are having on the seaside town’s economy.

Bryan Flowers, the head of the NightWish Group, says that they’re still hopeful there may be some leniency so that bars in Pattaya can enjoy what’s left of high season hope.

“I am still hopeful we will see a turn around. With 70% of Thailand being vaccinated by December 1, I was expecting we could open in December. Local authorities were unofficially telling license owners December 10 we can open.”

“There is a lot of anger from business owners and City Hall are frustrated being stuck in the middle. I think we are getting closer to breaking point, most guys arriving are leaving after 48 hours to go party in Bangkok or Phuket. We can just hope our staff and customers will come back to Pattaya again.”

Meanwhile the Thai PM Prayut Chan-o-cha says that all public activities “must abide by Covid-free setting measures after being officially approved and that all patrons of a premises must be fully vaccinated.

“The government is preparing to come up with more countermeasures against the virus.”

He said that any entertainment venues that try and slip though the net, and reopen actively with customers will “face long suspensions”.

But the CCSA spokesman Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin noted yesterday that dine-in services, with alcoholic drinks served, will be extended until 11pm and the venues will have to close at midnight.

The Public Health Minister also clarified earlier remarks saying that people attending restaurants would need to show proof of vaccination or negative test results. But in practice there has been very little application of this rule. (The Thaiger has never been asked for such proof at any venue in and around either Phuket or Bangkok, except during check-ins at airports)

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thailands-nightlife-venues-and-bars-told-to-keep-closed-until-january-16

11 hours ago, reader said:

From The Thaiger

Nightlife venues and bars told to keep closed

He said that any entertainment venues that try and slip though the net, and reopen actively with customers will “face long suspensions”.

meanwhile, instagram story from a certain boy from a bar on Khaosan Rd last night at about 1am.

image.thumb.jpeg.7fe0b62a81511e8174e5e63c71f6c048.jpeg

From Bangkok Post

PM: No national lockdown, but bars probably won't reopen

The government will not impose a national lockdown despite overseas concerns about the Omicron variant of Covid-19, but the closure of entertainment venues will likely be extended, the prime minister said on Thursday.

Prayut Chan-o-cha said a nationwide closure was unnecessary. The government would cope by continuing to test arriving travellers for the new variant.

"Harsh measures are not necessary. There are RT-PCR tests and quarantine is required pending test results," he said.

The government needed to prioritise both public safety and the national economy. It was not easy to keep the balance. Under the circumstances, the government would delay its plan for antigen testing of arrivals instead of the RT-PCR tests, the prime minister said.

In the interests of public health, the government might also have to further delay the reopening of pubs, bars and karaoke shops, he said.

"We would like to wait and see for a month. In this matter, we must listen to doctors and health authorities," Gen Prayut said.

"Enclosed venues where crowds gather and drink pose high risks. That will be put on hold. Assistance measures will be proposed to the cabinet soon," the prime minister said.

When there is a new disease, there must be measures to cope with it, he added.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2225575/pm-no-national-lockdown-but-bars-probably-wont-reopen

The Jupiter sign was illuminated tonight, unlike previous nights.  Presumably open, as announced by Spoon last month, however I had other plans and observed this from across the main road.

On 11/27/2021 at 5:10 PM, Boy69 said:

Another hilarious decision of the Thai government  it is a well known fact that the Covid 19 virus is far more dangerous after midnight lol.

You really should be on facebook with comments like that, with all the other people who can't work out why its not quite just as simple and how small multiple changes across many spheres are hoped to make a positive effect but without crucifying any one industry any more than is necessary etc.

Such jibes are an easy win for the facebook brigade to make in order to get likes from their fellow "woke" brigade ( I'm not saying YOU are, I'm saying THEY THINK they are there btw) but they really dont benefit anyone much, well aside from the poster and their likes count I guess.

Fresh Boys was open last night.  I didn't stay, as the 3 lads on stage were fully clothed.  I have no idea why Thai bars do this when reopening.  I will gladly pay 350 baht when the lads are wearing the thin white underwear normally seen in Fresh Boys, however if they are fully clothed, what exactly is the premium drink price paying for ?

26 minutes ago, z909 said:

Fresh Boys was open last night.  I didn't stay, as the 3 lads on stage were fully clothed.  I have no idea why Thai bars do this when reopening.  I will gladly pay 350 baht when the lads are wearing the thin white underwear normally seen in Fresh Boys, however if they are fully clothed, what exactly is the premium drink price paying for ?

How are you enjoying your trip? Better or worse than you expected?

What is the silom soi 4 scene like, are there many working boys looking for clients, or is it mostly locals partying amongst themselves?