Thai Pass

The Thai Pass is live today.   Thankfully I don't need to apply just yet.

Looking at reports from others (ie not verified by me):

1   Some have the pass already

2  Others find it will not accept pdf attachments, only jpg and png

3   Many report API errors.  One reports getting a QR code despite this error.

4  There are reports of people having to add spaces before and after the passport number to make it work.   I've no idea if that's fake news, but there are a few reports of this.  Someone suggests if you try once and it doesn't work, the passport number is already on their database by the time you start a new application and it can't handle that.   So adding spaces is a work around.       

5 Attached files may be no larger than 2 MB

Sounds like typical Thai software !

Does anyone know if you'd get a email notifying that you've successfully submitted your Thailand Pass application?

For me, after I finished uploading all info, it told me that I will get a confirmation email if I got verified but I didn't get an auto email telling me that I've actually submitted everything successfully. It just feels odd that an official site doesn't send something to let you know or ensure that you've done your part.

4 hours ago, GPAPA said:

Does anyone know if you'd get a email notifying that you've successfully submitted your Thailand Pass application?

Obviously I have no personal need for it, but perhaps it works the same way the 90-day address report online works.  With that app they don't send anything.  You have to go back to the app and there will then be an icon to click on that takes you to the page that has your verification.  Then you print out that page.

2 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

Obviously I have no personal need for it, but perhaps it works the same way the 90-day address report online works.  With that app they don't send anything.  You have to go back to the app and there will then be an icon to click on that takes you to the page that has your verification.  Then you print out that page.

Well there's no account page or anything, once "submitted" it goes to the Thailand Pass main page so you have 0 accessibility to the previous application you've just done. So I can't check status or even know if I've actually sent things through. It's like I just refreshed the page and everything goes back to the beginning expect they did say they will send email if you pass, but nothing else.

8 minutes ago, spoon said:

They mentioned that you will need to show a QR code from thailand pass to enter, so i figure u should received this if your application is approved. 

Appreciate the reply. But I’m aware of that, just wanted to check my application status in case if my application didn’t even go through so I shall submit again. 
but then they gave me no info so I don’t know if I’m waiting for my result or actually nothing right now. 

1 hour ago, GPAPA said:

Appreciate the reply. But I’m aware of that, just wanted to check my application status in case if my application didn’t even go through so I shall submit again. 
but then they gave me no info so I don’t know if I’m waiting for my result or actually nothing right now. 

It does say to wait 7 days (i assumed business day) for approval. After 7 days, if u didnt get anything, id reapply

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/content/thailand-pass-faqs

51 minutes ago, 10tazione said:

What will happen on departure if we dont have any departure card?

I would hope the immigration computer looks up your records, confirms you have not over stayed & just as a souvenir, the customs official stamps you out. 

Also, thank you for the detail regarding the Thai Pass application.

This is why I'm waiting. Or at least, one of the reasons.

And what the hell are jpg and png? I struggle enough with the everyday operation of this infernal machine and so it appears that I shall have to employ a technician to help me. A home visit, I suspect , will be expensive. And this is not a joke.

To be blunt, I'd rather queue-up at the Thai Embassy in London.

Another thought; I do have a computer and have just bought my first (and probably last) mobile phone, specifically for Thailand.. There are some technologically-deprived souls who own neither....are they to be permanently denied a trip to meet their boyfriends? 

2 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

After submitting the application, how long did it take until you received the approval?

Submitted yesterday 4pm europe time and approval came today 6:30 am europe time (+6h for Thailand).
My guess is only a small percentage managed to submit the application so they don't have much to do yet ... Also I am flying rather soon so that might have helped too.

40 minutes ago, Londoner said:

And what the hell are jpg and png? I struggle enough with the everyday operation of this infernal machine and so it appears that I shall have to employ a technician to help me. A home visit, I suspect , will be expensive. And this is not a joke.

Another thought; I do have a computer and have just bought my first (and probably last) mobile phone, specifically for Thailand.. There are some technologically-deprived souls who own neither....are they to be permanently denied a trip to meet their boyfriends?

jpg and png are widespread file formats for pictures
pdf is the most common file format for documents but they don't accept it yet.
You need some experience with computers to overcome all the hurdles to upload the application.

A walk to the Thai Embassy won't get you a Thailand Pass - the embassies are not involved in this process anymore as far as i know.

Entry without mobile phone - That is a good question.
On the faqs they released on october 31 they said, if you dont have a mobile phone, you can also print out the Thailand Pass.
On the other hand there is the requirement to use the MorChana app, which is rather impossible without mobile phone is guess

Here is an article that describes very well what happened yesterday:

https://bangkokherald.com/business/tech/thailand-pass-is-live-and-its-a-mess-as-expected/

And here is an article how to overcome certain error messages:

https://bangkokherald.com/business/tech/thailand-pass-api-error-heres-how-to-fix-it/

If anyone can find any publication of numbers how many TP were requested and issued and how many people tried without success yesterday, I would really like to know.

2 hours ago, 10tazione said:

Here is an article that describes very well what happened yesterday:

https://bangkokherald.com/business/tech/thailand-pass-is-live-and-its-a-mess-as-expected/

And here is an article how to overcome certain error messages:

https://bangkokherald.com/business/tech/thailand-pass-api-error-heres-how-to-fix-it/

If anyone can find any publication of numbers how many TP were requested and issued and how many people tried without success yesterday, I would really like to know.

I actually read exactly that somewhere, but cant recall where. Anyway, i recalled they had like 22k application and approved 4k or something like that. 

I might be dreaming though.

Update, found the source

3 hours ago, Londoner said:

This is why I'm waiting. Or at least, one of the reasons.

In person applications in London have been stopped for some time due to covid anyway.   

As for converting docs to jpg format, if it's a Windows 7 or 10 PC, get the document you need on the screen, then open the "Snipping Tool", select the part you want to include, snip it and when saving, the default file format is jpg.

As for deprivation, I expect the number of people in the west without access to a phone or computer is very small these days.   If they don't have such technology, they may already be depriving themselves of more important day to day services, such as banking.  That's because some towns have already lost ALL of their bank branches as people move their business online. 

3 hours ago, z909 said:

As for converting docs to jpg format, if it's a Windows 7 or 10 PC, get the document you need on the screen, then open the "Snipping Tool", select the part you want to include, snip it and when saving, the default file format is jpg.

Not sure if that works well if you need a full A4-page, because if you want to snip it in one piece it is pretty small on the screen.
I found a free tool in den Windows Store, "Any PDF to JPG", it produces one jpg per page. But hopefully they will soon add PDF to the supported file formats ...

31 minutes ago, 10tazione said:

Not sure if that works well if you need a full A4-page, because if you want to snip it in one piece it is pretty small on the screen.
I found a free tool in den Windows Store, "Any PDF to JPG", it produces one jpg per page. But hopefully they will soon add PDF to the supported file formats ...

Example below, with fairly small text.     Not even taken in full screen mode, but admittedly this is a 2K monitor and something from 20 years ago might be worse.

An alternative is to find a free web tool for pdf to jpg conversions and use that.  

Capture.JPG

@Londoner

Royal Thai Vacations will handle it all for you for a handling fee

Their cost is around 11k B. so this is 5k above the going rate, but includes the Covid insurance (if you are 75 or under), which is worth 3k, so their margin is around 2k. Its not cheap, but possibly cheaper than getting someone to come to your house to help They previously got very positive feedback on Facebook for their sandbox packages

https://royalvacationdmc.com/pattaya-1-day-quarantine-packages

If You book this Package, we will only need from You: Passport Copy – Flight Itinerary – Vaccine Proof, and we Handle all the rest.

Seeing the hassles people are reporting on the Thai Pass I'm real happy to be waiting a bit longer before trying (that sort of hassle drives me crazy). Never know, by the time I'm ready things might be a bit easier or at the very least the bugs with Thai Pass will have been sorted

I have just completed my Thai Pass application. As a precaution I printed all documents to take with me anyway.

When  it came to downloading them it gave the option of taking a photo which I thought would be easier than the other options. So I photographed everything as I went through the form and Bingo, it accepted the lot. No problem about PDF’s!

At the end I hit submit and got an instant on screen acknowledgement.

Then literally in seconds I got my Thai Pass followed seconds later by another email saying it had been received and could take seven days!! 

Obviously no humans are checking The applications. It must all be done automatically. 

10 hours ago, gerefan said:

Then literally in seconds I got my Thai Pass followed seconds later by another email saying it had been received and could take seven days!!

Did you get error messages and use the "space trick" after the passport number? I did it to overcome the "Your passport number has already been used" - error and the result was that now I actually have 2 approved Thailand Pass. If someone wants to come with me I can sell one pass :)

I checked whats behind the barcode. Its a link leading to a site containing the following information:

• Name: xxx
  • Certificate Status: Valid
  • Issuance Date: 2021-11-1
  • Expire Date: 2022-01-30
  • Thailand Pass ID: xxxx
  • Thailand Pass Status: Exemption from Quarantine
  • Date of Birth: xxx
  • Vaccination Record 2x Dose Nr + Name + Date of Vaccination

Thats it. No Passport Number (which is really strange since they love that number so much) nor any other data that has been filled in before ...

No idea whats the expire date for. I thought if one arrives on a different flight than stated in the form one has to apply again and therefore the pass can only be valid for exactly one date and flight? Or could i postpone and they would let me in with the same Thailand Pass?