Thai Pass

The pointless "fit to fly certificate" was no longer required when I arrived in November 2021. 

Just a COVID RT-PCR certificate issued 72 hours before departure of the original flight.

Anyone planning a visit should also read the rules themselves, in case anything has changed since then.

9 hours ago, 10tazione said:

Question to those who came to Thailand in the last months via Test&Go about the pre-departure covid test:

Did you just have a laboratory result or did you have a separate medical certificate? That "medical certificate" cost me extra 30$ and I want to avoid that cost next time if not really necessary.

I had just result, when doing test in Thailand it was the same, just result

3 hours ago, z909 said:

The pointless "fit to fly certificate" was no longer required when I arrived in November 2021. 

Just a COVID RT-PCR certificate issued 72 hours before departure of the original flight.

Anyone planning a visit should also read the rules themselves, in case anything has changed since then.

I didn't mean the "fit to fly certificate", I was referring to the wording "Medical Certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected, using RT-PCR method" which often was used but now seems to be more and more replaced by "negative RT-PCR test result".

Well obviously you need documentation to prove that you passed the RT-PCR test.

The question is what format do you get the results in, if you don't pay for a certificate ?

If it includes your name, the words "RT-PCR", "pass" or "negative" and the result or test time is clearly within 72 hours of departure, you stand a chance.

If you are not sure about ALL those points, don't risk it.  

(Obviously pdfs could be edited, by resourceful people)

From Richadbarrow.com

According to a spokesperson for the Prime Minister's Office, the total number of registrations for Thailand Pass on the first day of 1st February amounted to 29,194 people, with 23,660 people applying for Test & Go alone.

Hotels must verify the 1st and 2nd room & test bookings within 30 hours or the visitors' Thailand Pass registration will be automatically rejected, according to new procedures aiming at monitoring RT-PCR tests.

---------------------

According to Facebook page B-Bangpakong, football giants Manchester United and Liverpool FC will play a friendly match at Rajamangala National Stadium on 12th July. They will sign the contract this week.

I am also looking to go to Thailand again after 2 years.

The PCR test is easy to arrange. The proof I have health insurance is easy to arrange.

But I understand I can only book at certain hotels and must arrange already from home to trip to Pattaya. 

How is this done? How and where can I book taxi to the hotel up front? When I go to booking.com or hotel.com it will be easy to see which hotels you can book and which I can not book?

7 minutes ago, abidismaili said:

But I understand I can only book at certain hotels and must arrange already from home to trip to Pattaya. 

How is this done?

I do not understand the question.

You must book an approved SHA Hotel. The booking will include transport from the airport direct to your hotel and test either at the hotel, or at the hospital on they way to the hotel.

After you have passed the test you are free to travel anywhere.

You need another hotel and test after 5 days.

• Members
On 1/28/2022 at 7:33 AM, reader said:

WARNING: It looks like the Thailand Pass email database has been hacked and is sending out spoof emails with a link that sends people to a malware site after they click on “download”.

I can confirm this info that@readerhas posted.  I received an email from the official Thailand Pass email address over a week ago stating "there is a problem with your Thailand Pass".  The email contained a clickable link.  Since I had already been in Thailand for about three weeks when I received it, I suspected there was something not right with the email.  I certainly had no intention of clicking on any link in the suspect message. 

Beware, as opening such links often leads to malware being inserted on your device.  If you have a question about the status of your Thailand Pass, it is best to contact the website directly without clicking on any links in any received emails.

On 2/3/2022 at 1:00 AM, abidismaili said:

I am also looking to go to Thailand again after 2 years.

The PCR test is easy to arrange. The proof I have health insurance is easy to arrange.

How is this done? How and where can I book taxi to the hotel up front? When I go to booking.com or hotel.com it will be easy to see which hotels you can book and which I can not book?

Better book the hotel directly. The first approval is the hotel itself. By booking directly, the hotel has your reservation records and it is easy to get them to approve your TP fast. You can let them know that you had submitted your TP so that they can look out for it. Going through 3rd party will have some delay.

My Thailand Pass got approved for my March holiday.

Two questions, curious if it is only me or others also have this:

1) In the approval mail the pass was attached twice as a pdf file. These two pdf files are the same. Seems like a bug in the system. Or you only got one pdf?

2) When I add the QR code to Apple Wallet it says at the end: Submitted at: 2022-02-05; No later than: 2022-03-20

What does this 'No Later Than' mean? I hope it doesnt mean I have to leave before that date because I arrive only a few days before.

The one I got in December had an arrival date clearly written on it.

If yours hasn’t got an arrival date then I am guessing it means you need to arrive by 20 March. Nowadays the pass is valid for 3 days after your expected arrival date to allow for delays.

Does that add up? 

3 hours ago, gerefan said:

The one I got in December had an arrival date clearly written on it.

If yours hasn’t got an arrival date then I am guessing it means you need to arrive by 20 March. Nowadays the pass is valid for 3 days after your expected arrival date to allow for delays.

Does that add up? 

Yes. Thanks

From The Thaiger

Thailand Pass hotlines, emails for assistance with registration process

Thailand Pass hotlines were launched to assist travellers with registering for the various programs to enter the country at the moment. We know aspects of it are a pain in the arse, but for people wanting, or needing, to get back into Thailand at the moment, the Thailand Pass is not that difficult to navigate. And The Thaiger has some useful contacts if you need help or have questions.

The Thailand Pass has three programs – Test & Go, for fully vaccinated travellers who only have to spend 2 nights (Day 1 and 5) in a pre-paid SHA+ hotel. Sandbox, which is a ‘regional’ quarantine for 7 days. But you can wander and explore around that region for the 7 days before then being allowed to travel anywhere else in Thailand. There’s also the Alternative Quarantine which allows unvaccinated travellers to enter Thailand, but with a 7 – 10 day hotel quarantine, at your expense.

Registration for the Thailand Pass is free, but the government spokespersons have been warning travellers about third party websites asking for a fee for Thailand Pass registration. (Here’s the official website by the Department of Consular Affairs… https://tp.consular.go.th/)

To be clear, registration is FREE.

For entry into Phuket, Krabi, and Phang Nga, travellers can email thailandpass.hkt@gmail.com for assistance. Those registering for the Phuket Sandbox can call +66 (0) 7653 220 or email phuket.thailandpass@gmail.com. Travellers are also asked to fill in a Thailand Pass Follow Up Form on Google Docs.

For other destinations, travellers can contact the Department of Consular Affairs at +66 (0) 2572 8442 or email testgo@consular.go.th.

Travellers entering under the Test & Go or Sandbox program must book accommodation at a hotel or resort with a SHA+ certification from Thailand’s Safety and Health Administration. For Test & Go travellers, a SHA+ hotel booking is needed on Day 1 and Day 5 of their stay.

A hotel needs to confirm the booking before the Thailand Pass can be verified by the Department of Disease Control. For enquiries about hotel booking authentication, call the Tourism Authority of Thailand’s hotline at 1672.

Thailand Pass hotlines, emails for assistance with registration process | News by Thaiger

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/thailand-pass-hotlines-emails-for-assistance-with-registration-process

Do these percentages appear way out of proportion? Is it the reporting system, the testing system or something else all together?

From Richardbarrow.com

THAI NEWS REPORTS:

On 11th February, 182 international arrivals tested positive. This is the percentage according to which test.

Test & Go:

Day 0 (64.10%)

Day 1-3 (2.57%)

Day 4-7 (33.33%)

Sandbox:

Day 0 (32.79%)

Day 4-7 (64.75%)

Day 7+ (2.46%)

============================

THAI NEWS REPORTS:

Infection rate of people entering Thailand by air by country of origin:
1. Russia 18.72%
2. Kazakhstan 7.03%
3. Sweden 2.5%
4. Germany 2.38%
5. France 1.85%
6. UK 1.51%
7. UAE 1.49%
8. USA 1.14%
9. Australia 1.09%
10. Singapore 1.03%

UK lab "challenge" trials show people test positive in less than 2 days after exposure to the virus.  That's the original strain and omicron is thought to be faster. 

So I would have thought that most of those testing positive only on day 4-7 of the Phuket sandbox caught COVID in Thailand? 

If they really have covid.

Also, what is missing there is the total number of arrivals for each scheme.  I would think the total for the sandbox ought to be far lower now test and go is open.  If so, Phuket has a higher infection rate both on arrival and later ?

The infection on arrival rate ought to be broadly similar in Phuket and Bangkok, unless Phuket attracts a lot of visitors from high risk countries?   Possible.

If I were planning a trip, or even had a proper PC with me, I would look into it in far more depth.   However, it's too much to do on an Android device.

I have "doubts" about the Phuket data.  So I wouldn't go there for a sandbox without further analysis to properly assess the risks of infection or fraud.

• Members
15 hours ago, z909 said:

So I would have thought that most of those testing positive only on day 4-7 of the Phuket sandbox caught COVID in Thailand? 

The infection on arrival rate ought to be broadly similar in Phuket and Bangkok, unless Phuket attracts a lot of visitors from high risk countries?   Possible.

Well, I'm sure it was in Phuket that we caught covid last month.  My two previous PCR tests before arrival in Phuket were negative.

I noted earlier that there were large numbers of farang in Phuket that were not complying with the mask law.  When we were in Phuket in January, I would estimate close to half of the tourists wore no masks.

Reader's post from yesterday has a pie chart, which shows 61% of infections are from people who entered via the Phuket Sandbox.   All the other sandboxes put together amount to very little, approx 3%.

We don't know what percentage arrived via the sandboxes on the 11th.  However, in the first 10 days of February, it was 49.6%.   If we assume a similar percentage on the 11th, that's approximately 64% of the infections from 49.6% of entries.  And only Phuket takes enough sandbox customers to significantly change the result.

In practice, every country is now eligible for test and go. So I'm not quite sure why people would choose the sandbox.  Perhaps it's just those who had it all booked before test and go was announced ?   In which case, the proportion on sandbox could well be higher on 1 Feb and declining by the 11th.

Of course, we also don't know the proportion of tourists from high risk countries going to Phuket and elsewhere.

However, the stats would encourage me to go somewhere other than Phuket.

Also, every story I've heard of a farang having some problem with tests and quarantine happens to be in Phuket, although not a large enough sample size.

If anyone sees any more data which might help with this, do share it.

• Members

Here's part of the problem.  On Jan 7, the governor of Phuket province issued an order for people to wear face masks when they go out unless they are eating, drinking, or exercising.

Here are links to two articles from 19 & 20 January telling about the problem of tourists not wearing masks in Phuket:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2250111/phuket-vows-tough-action-on-unmasked-tourists

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/tourists-not-wearing-masks-face-tough-talk-from-phuket-authorities

And then we have the Minister of Public Health Anutin saying there are no legal obligations for people to wear face masks.  So since this story is published in the Phuket News, Anutin is basically letting people in Phuket know that the Governor's order is not legal. 

Earlier on in the pandemic, I remember reading that the governor of each province could order regulations in their province, as they saw fit, for public safety.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/anutin-says-no-legal-obligations-for-people-to-wear-face-masks-82953.php

Once again, too many chiefs making decisions, and no coordination of the regulations.

From Bangkok Post

Highly contagious subvariant forms 18% of Omicron cases

The faster spreading BA.2 subvariant of Covid-19's Omicron variant accounted for 18.5% of Omicron cases examined over the past week, the Department of Medical Sciences reported.

Director-general Supakit Sirilak said on Tuesday that the department examined 567 Omicron cases from Feb 5 to 11 and found 18.5% were of the BA.2 subvariant and the rest BA.1.

"There are some signs that BA.2 spreads faster than BA.1 looking at cases in other countries but there has not been any significant difference from BA.1 when it comes to severity and vaccine avoidance," Dr Supakit said.

The department also found BA.2 in 19% of 42 imported Omicron cases sampled for examination over the same period.

According to the director-general, BA.2 has been detected in 57 countries and is likely to replace BA.1 in India, Denmark and Sweden. BA.2 has already superseded BA.1 in Denmark and could replace BA.1 in Thailand given its faster spread.

BA.2 was first recorded in Thailand among visitors early this year. Today there are rare cases of other variants of Covid-19 in the country.

From Jan 30 to Feb 4, Omicron cases formed 94.2% of Covid-19 cases in Thailand and Delta the rest, 5.8%. Omicron was found in 99.4% of infected arrivals over the same period.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2264583/highly-contagious-subvariant-forms-18-of-omicron-cases