Thai Pass

According to the, Public Health Ministry just 56 (0.002%) of the 25,821 Covid-19 cases registered today were imported.

Yet the government maintains that the destiny of "test-and-go" will ride on the outcome of how many cases they can blame on Songran.

From The Nation

Tourism Ministry wants PCR tests for tourists scrapped from May 1

The Tourism and Sports Ministry will ask the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) to cancel mandatory PCR testing for foreign tourists and replace them with ATK tests from May.

Under the move, tourists would no longer face the expense of a PCR test and mandatory first night’s stay in an SHA+ hotel.

“We expect the move to be approved and implemented from May 1 onward, provided that there is no surge in new infections and Covid-19 deaths during and after Songkran,”

Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said.

He added that the “acceptable” limit is 60,000 daily infections – including those who test positive via ATKs – and 100 fatalities.

The ministry last week unveiled a plan to scrap the Thailand Pass requirement for incoming travellers from June 1 in a bid to boost tourist arrivals.

Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said.

On 3/27/2022 at 10:58 AM, reader said:

According to the, Public Health Ministry just 56 (0.002%) of the 25,821 Covid-19 cases registered today were imported.

Yet the government maintains that the destiny of "test-and-go" will ride on the outcome of how many cases they can blame on Songran.

This shows how stupid government policy is at present.    They almost shut down an entire sector of the economy, for 0.002% of infections. 

Rather than wasting their time setting policy for things which don't make a difference,  it would make more sense to abolish all travel restrictions and free up some bandwidth to focus on what matters.

For instance, improving the relatively low uptake of vaccinations in the over 60s would have a far greater effect on death rates than a few tourists arriving.   Therefore, concentrate on persuading the over 60s to get vaccinated.

4 hours ago, reader said:

From The Nation

“We expect the move to be approved and implemented from May 1 onward, provided that there is no surge in new infections and Covid-19 deaths during and after Songkran,”

Can anyone tell me why the scrapping of Tourists PCR Tests is dependant on   a Local surge of infections during Songkran?

I see no correlation at all.

It's now official....

From The Thaiger

Starting tomorrow, travellers entering Thailand will no longer need to take a PCR Covid-19 test before their flight, but visitors will still need to take a PCR test once they land. All travellers – vaccinated and unvaccinated – no longer need to take the pre-departure test, but requirements after entry vary depending on the scheme.

To make travel a bit more convenient and entice more people to visit Thailand, the government’s Covid task force decided to scrap the requirement for a pre-departure test taken within 72 hours before take-off. The revised entry requirements were published in the Royal Gazette yesterday, making the new rules official.

For those who are fully vaccinated and entering under the Test & Go scheme, a hotel must be booked for their first night in Thailand while they wait for the test results to come back, which can take up to a day. On the fifth day of their stay, travellers will need to take a self-administered rapid antigen test and report the results.

Before flying to Thailand, travellers must apply for a Thailand Pass QR code through the official website run by the Department of Consular Affairs at https://tp.consular.go.th/.

The Thai government is gradually easing entry requirements as the country prepares to transition from a pandemic to an endemic in the next several months. Thailand plans to declare Covid-19 an endemic by July 1, but the date could change if there is a spike in the infection rate following the Thai New Year, Songkran, on April 13.

3 hours ago, reader said:

Starting tomorrow, travellers entering Thailand will no longer need to take a PCR Covid-19 test before their flight, but visitors will still need to take a PCR test once they land. All travellers – vaccinated and unvaccinated – no longer need to take the pre-departure test, but requirements after entry vary depending on the scheme.

It's interesting that Thailand is scrapping the pre-departure test but keeping the post-arrival test. It's the opposite of what four of its neighbours are doing.

Vietnam:    Pre-departure PCR or antigen test required.   No post-arrival test

Philippines:   Pre-departure PCR or antigen test required.   No post-arrival test

Singapore:    Pre-departure PCR or antigen test required.   No post-arrival test

Cambodia:   No pre-departure test.   No post-arrival test.

--

Malaysia:    Pre-departure PCR test required.    Post-arrival antigen test required.

Indonesia:    Pre-departure PCR test required.    Post-arrival PCR test required.

---

If the rationale is to avoid imported Covid, one might think that screening before the flght is more important – though I fully agree with z909's point about the absurdity of shutting down an entire sector of the economy over 0.002% of infections.

That Thailand is scrapping pre-depature tests but keeping post-arrival suggests to me that at last part of the reason may lie in the commercial interest among Thai labs and hotels in keeping the golden goose (mandatory PCR tests and SHA hotel stays) alive for as long as possible.

None of this is going to help revive the tourist industry. Only a complete revocation of the Thai Pass system and testing on arrival will do that.

I repeat my previous question: “ 

Can anyone tell me why the scrapping of Tourists PCR Tests is dependant on a Local surge of infections during Songkran?“

1 hour ago, macaroni21 said:

That Thailand is scrapping pre-depature tests but keeping post-arrival suggests to me that at last part of the reason may lie in the commercial interest among Thai labs and hotels in keeping the golden goose (mandatory PCR tests and SHA hotel stays) alive for as long as possible.

I'm sure the money is the main reason, as there cannot be any legitimate public health reason for this policy.

Of course, this will reduce overall demand for hotels, which is not beneficial to the sector.

Also, if anyone is thinking of making a trip to Vietnam, The Philippines, Singapore or Cambodia, I guess the time to do it is when their entry conditions are more competitive than those of Thailand.

6 minutes ago, gerefan said:

Can anyone tell me why the scrapping of Tourists PCR Tests is dependant on a Local surge of infections during Songkran?“

I cannot offer you a logical reason.    I suspect it's down to a lack of talent among the decision makers.

11 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

You got it right. I never been conspiracy theories fan but it certainly looks that way for me in view on  minuscule percentage of imported cases

The Thai authorities were also requiring passengers transiting through Bangkok to have a RT-PCR test before departure.  

Which means anyone flying to (say) Phnom Penh via Bangkok would require a RT-PCR test just because of Thai rules.

I presume this is no longer applicable, but I would be checking very carefully, if planning a trip to Cambodia or anywhere else using Bangkok as a transit airport. 

Test @ go rules, as of 1 April.

I'm sure this has nothing you don't know after the earlier post by Reader, however it may be a useful summary to file away.

277528340_542614713891463_1774986696636074787_n.jpg

From The Thaiger

Public Health Ministry plans to request new entry rules

If the CCSA approves it, Thailand could have new entry rules starting on May 1. The new rules the Public Health Ministry plans to request are intended to revive the country’s crippled tourism economy,.

The country’s Tourism and Sports Minister has also stated that his ministry will ask the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration to consider further easing entry rules, such as replacing on-arrival RT-PCR tests with simpler and quicker antigen tests.

He says the ministry is proposing that Thailand Pass registration be scrapped from June 1 – that would be a full month earlier than the published 4-step reopening plan published in March.

The Tourism and Sports minister says test results would be certified, and visitors would be allowed freedom of movement instantly after getting a negative result at the airport, a major step forward from the current regime of testing.

=======================

Malaysian drivers bewildered by Thailand Pass

THOU SHALL NOT PASS. That’s the message some northern-bound Malaysian travelers received when they attempted to drive their cars into Thailand on yesterday morning, only to find they’d forgotten the most important thing: you STILL need to register for Thailand Pass. In advance.

Thailand finally reopened its land border with Malaysia on April 1 for travelers by private transportation. But it wasn’t exactly smooth sailing for those who forgot that the beleaguered Thailand Pass system is still in place — and you’re required to register before entering the country. Apparently, not many people got the memo. Little more than a hundred Malaysians had registered before the Sadao crossing in Songkhla province opened at 5 o’clock this morning, the Bangkok Post reported.

According to local officials, some northern-bound Malaysians were confused to find that they couldn’t enter Thailand with simply a passport and proof of vaccination, like they could enter Singapore at their southern border starting the same day. Thailand customs officials reportedly turned away would-be travellers who had failed to sign up for the Thailand Pass system. In total, only 107 travel-ready Malaysians had jumped through all the right hoops to enter the Land of Smiles.

What are they waiting for ?

The entry restrictions don't even move the needle in terms of the overall covid incidence rate, so are a waste of time.

Other policies could make a far bigger difference to outcomes, so concentrate on those.

32 minutes ago, z909 said:

What are they waiting for ?

The entry restrictions don't even move the needle in terms of the overall covid incidence rate, so are a waste of time.

Other policies could make a far bigger difference to outcomes, so concentrate on those.

More political than public health I would think; 'playing to the gallery' in terms of being seen to bash farang?

From Bangkok Post

Govt plans to ease rules to lure tourists

The government will on Friday consider scrapping mandatory RT-PCR tests for foreign visitors arriving in the country as it further eases entry rules to attract tourists.

Anutin Charnvirakul, deputy prime minister and public health minister, on Thursday said the Department of Disease Control (DDC) will submit a proposal to end RT-PCR tests during a Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) meeting on Friday.

"If approved [by the CCSA], foreign travellers would only need to take antigen tests upon arrival," Mr Anutin said.

Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the DDC, said the green light from the CCSA over the matter could see the new rule come into effect after the Songkran festival, which starts on Wednesday.

However, a source at the CCSA said the shift to antigen tests may take effect next month.

In Bangkok now and I'm seeing more and more tourist each day. 

Even Tarntawan I'm seeing more "backpackers" type travelers coming in. Probably because the rates are dirt cheap. 

when I was coming back from DJ, the massage shops was filled with tourists as well. So that's a  good sign. 

travel now else, in a few Months time, Bangkok will be crowded with tourists! Hahahah 

I just wish they would scrap the Thai Pass, to me it's a lame duck and a hacked one at that, presenting the necessary paperwork on arrival or at the departure point would be preferred for me. I wouldn't mind taking a pre departure test of whatever kind they want (even though it's being scrapped in favor of an arrival ATK test), I always take out travel insurance so making sure it covers covid is not a problem. I have things happening here so I am looking at 2023 for the next trip so hopefully things will be better by then and hoping the Thai pass is relegated to history. I am also hoping for a week in Singapore later this year when things here are sorted out.

1 hour ago, TMax said:

I just wish they would scrap the Thai Pass, to me it's a lame duck and a hacked one at that, presenting the necessary paperwork on arrival or at the departure point would be preferred for me.

The Thai Pass is not a major problem for me.    

It costs nothing, isn't difficult to apply for and as long as I apply far enough in advance, it's no stress.

The real problems are complying with the Thai Pass rules, including:

1  The risk of failing the test on arrival and having to do some quarantine, for a disease which is already endemic in Thailand. 

2 Having to buy some naff insurance policy to fund this.   I always have travel insurance, but what I want is some competitively priced insurance with a very high upper limit for medical cover.    Not some shitty policy with low coverage, designed to pay for some quarantine scam.    [Admittedly this was bundled with my Emirates flight for the last trip, but Emirates stopped that for bookings after 1 Dec]

3 Having to pay for the test on arrival.

4 Having to find, pay for and take a pre-departure test   -was required when I travelled, but is now stopped.

#1 is by far the biggest deterrent.   ie Risk of quarantine.       That's 95% of the problem. 

Regarding the extra costs, these were easily offset by discounted hotel rates for the duration of my stay.   So not really a factor.

When all the restrictions are removed, I suspect flight costs and hotel costs will increase fairly swiftly.   Although, as it stands, hotels would probably not be full, due to continuing restrictions in China. 

The meeting today--as expected--produced nothing concrete but more nuanced comments.

From The Thai Enquirer

Entry regulations could be eased by May depending on the outbreak situation after the Songkran holiday period, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) said on Friday.

“The meeting agreed in principle, but has yet to approve the proposals,” said Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, the CCSA’s spokesman, noting that many regulations could even be lifted by July. 

“The prime minister asked to see the effects from Songkran first,” he said.

The Ministry of Public Health proposed for the government to replace the mandatory RT-PCR test on arrival with an ATK test in May. The private sector has also been pressuring the government to lift all entry regulations as the government is preparing to declare Covid as endemic by July.

Ahead of the CCSA’s meeting on Friday, CCSA advisor Dr Udom Kachintorn, told reporters that the true number of Covid infections in Thailand is closer to 100,000 per day.

He added that the number of internal cases is much higher than imported cases, and entry restrictions could be lifted by July.

“The number of asymptomatic people is now around 50,000-60,000 per day, and if counting people who are infected but have not been tested with ATK, the total number of infections is now around 100,000 per day,” Dr. Udom said.

When asked if he agreed with the proposal to replace the RT-PCR test on arrival with an ATK, Udom remarked that as long as the number of infected arrivals are much less than domestic cases, the entry regulations should be eased in line with international practices.

“The RT-PCR test 72 hours before departure was lifted on April 1, and as for the test on arrival, it could be ease and by late June and July, the tests should be lifted to support the economy,” he said. 

=============================

From Richard Barrow.com

The infection rate of all travellers entering Thailand.

n  November: 0.13%

n  December: 0.45%

n   January: 3.73%

n   February: 2.25%

n  March: 0.58%

April: 0.42% (upward trend)

n  Test & Go: 0.38%

n  Sandbox: 0.99%

n  Quarantine: 1.26%