Thai Pass

Thanks Tmax
Yes I’ve found the link and completed the process and I now have the registration. Really it was very easy as I do have a basic knowledge of IT but I imagine many without this would find tasks like “finding the link” , “upload your vaccination certificates”,  “print out the QR code” difficult or impossible. I used an iPad knowing that using my iPhone for this job would be tricky. AlSo I was lured into a scam website at the top of the Google list which wasted a lot of time.

Thailand seems to be more difficult than most countries for tourism with the requirement for this “Thai Pass” with the result that its income from this source is a fraction of that pre-Covid . Maybe it will shortly be abolished. 

I am pleased for you. And for myself....I'm computer-illiterate and was anxious as to what I| could if I had problems. My flight and hotel are booked for July.

Some will find my trepidation funny or, even worse, pitiful but it's very real. I curse the Thai junta for putting me through this, not just the expense- that I can tolerate- but I have supported the economic welfare of many places ( not to mention young men) in Thailand, from Krabi to Chiang Rai for decades.

They could at least have made an exception for  someone with my disability!

23 minutes ago, spoon said:

Someone in another forum reported that pdf upload is allowed now. 

When I applied on May 2nd it was possible but only for supplementary documents, not for passport, vaccination and insurance scans so what I did I uploaded pictures of those taken and then as supplenentary documents uploaded the same as pdf. Worked for me. 

5 hours ago, Londoner said:

I am pleased for you. And for myself....I'm computer-illiterate and was anxious as to what I| could if I had problems. My flight and hotel are booked for July.

Some will find my trepidation funny or, even worse, pitiful but it's very real. I curse the Thai junta for putting me through this, not just the expense- that I can tolerate- but I have supported the economic welfare of many places ( not to mention young men) in Thailand, from Krabi to Chiang Rai for decades.

They could at least have made an exception for  someone with my disability!

Well Done - you like me, have overcome our inadequacies IT wise and are poised to launch ourselves onto the mercies of Thai immigration (I’ve just booked my flight 20 June on Qatar - despite reading negative comments by other travellers). Things will be different I’m sure when I confront the reality of the places I used to love pre Covid Bkk, Pattaya, Hua Hin etc etc. I just hope I get there without new problems emerging. It should be quieter once there without Russians and Chinese,

5 hours ago, Londoner said:

I'm computer-illiterate

I'm sure it will be less difficult than you expect.   If any help is needed, PM me. 

On the insurance front, the requirement remains enshrined in the Thai Pass. The article below lists Thai companies and a easy to navigate interactive tool to help select your preferred option to meet the $10,000 minimum coverages. 

However, if you’re over 75 expect to find that none are interested in making an offer. The automatic response recommended “try changing your age.” Remember TIT 🙂

US insurance broker Squaremouth does insure those up to 99 and lists multiple companies (including AXA).

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/pr/2318738/thailand-covid-insurance-for-thailand-pass

Remember, there is no legal requirement to buy one of the Thai scam insurance policies.    

Enquiries on one of the Facebook Thailand pages show that people are still getting the Thai Pass with policies from their own countries.  

So rather than paying a few thousand baht for a useless policy, pay the same for one that provides some cover and don't perpetuate the insurance scam.  

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

What do these people charge* ?    

Can you get a proper insurance policy that provides some worthwhile cover for the same price as this worthless scam policy ?

As long as some people keep buying scam policies, those with their fingers in the pie are incentivised to keep the Thai Pass scam.

People on Facebook mentioned using "Post Office" and "Southdown" insurance to get the Thai Pass. Obviously Post Office Insurance is just whoring their brand out to another insurance company, but when I had their car insurance, it was still a reputable insurer behind it.    This is likely to provide far more cover than the scam policies, which is not difficult.

[*I was going to get a quote just for a 3 month stay, just for  interest, but I can't simply enter my date of birth.   It seems I have to scroll all the way back, well over 50 years, one month at a time.   If that's the way they behave, they know where to stick their policy.   Sideways.]

I paid 5000....and I also have an existing policy from my bank which is much more generous. If I had an accident, for example, that is the one I'd use.

However, before everyone collapses in mirth at my foolishness, I did have a reason. I paid before the simplification of the TP application. I argued (with myself!) that I didn't want anything to interfere with the granting of said pass. I reckoned that the cost was more of an entry fee than an insurance fee and that spending my money was sensible if it avoided the possibly excruciating wait before the pass was issued. Things are less fraught since 1 June.

I am  anxious about my return after thirty months separation from P and the inexorable encroachment of age. Nothing, nothing must go wrong. 

Hence my decision. Which I do not regret in the least.

Not regretting "sank costs" is a good idea and is appropriate behaviour for anyone who has already bought a scam insurance policy.

Back in December 2020, I did buy the AXA Thai policy.   

That was when they had full quarantine and even fewer tourists, along with a very stringent approvals process for a "Certificate of Entry".   Although my 2020 COE was approved within hours, whilst the 2021 Thai Pass took several days.

Also, that was before the Thai government "generously" reduced the coverage limit from a poor $100,000 to a pitiful $10,000, WITHOUT THE INSURERS MAKING ANY CORRESPONDING REDUCTION IN PREMIUMS (at least that's what I saw with AXA).

In November 2021, I used the "free" Emirates insurance, ie a non-Thai policy.    (I believe Emirates stopped that the following month).

If I were travelling now, I would apply with a policy from my home country AT LEAST 2.5 weeks before travelling & probably as soon as I have the necessary documents.

Then if that's rejected, I have plenty of time to contact them to explain why my policy meets the rules and if necessary, follow a plan-B.