Thai Pass

Richard Barrow had an interview with Thai officials that shed light on some much debated issued concerning Thai Pass. Here are some excerpts:

"I think the biggest improvement that they will be implementing soon is the ability to log in to check on your application status. Which will also give you the ability to download the QR Code once it has been released."

"...there are some (vaccination) certificates that are challenging for them which is why it sometimes takes time. Particularly if someone uploaded an image that is not clear."

"Another problem is the “date of arrival”. For many people, there should also be a date of departure as it might take them several days to reach Thailand. This then becomes a problem if their QR Code doesn’t arrive before their first flight. They recognise that as a problem and have noted it. The second problem is that some people might need to move their flight date for some reason. I think most of us thought that to do that we would have to apply again from the start. But that is not so. You can apparently still arrive as long as it is within 72 hours of that date."

"...many people asked how far in advance can you apply for a Thailand Pass. Well, the good news is that there is no time limit. If you want to, you can apply now for a holiday to Thailand in say January next year. If you do that now, then you don’t need to worry about the QR Code arriving on time."

"... like I have said many times already, don’t rush to come to Thailand. Certainly not during this transition period between the COE and Thailand Pass. But, if you can wait until, say December, then you will find it much easier."

"...there will be a big CCSA meeting on Friday that will be reviewing the first two weeks of the reopening of the country and will discuss possible easing of some of the rules. I think next week, we might see the exemption age for vaccination certificates for the Test & Go program will be raised from under 12 to under 18. Another major change we might see next week, is the dropping of the rule to have a RT-PCR test within 72 hours of departure. This is because there is a growing number of countries that don’t actually have an option to have this test done. If it doesn’t happen next week, then I think we should see that happen by 1st December. The other thing they should be discussing is the list of approved countries and territories."

======================

There's additional discussion about the RT-PCR test and other issues of interest and I encourage readers considering a future trip to check out the post in full context at link below.

https://www.getrevue.co/profile/richardbarrow/issues/latest-updates-about-the-thailand-pass-849676?via=twitter-card-webview

• Members
1 hour ago, spoon said:

If they really waived the pcr testing pre departure, that should at least replaced by rtk test, with doctor's letter. Otherwise, the thing we dread the most, sitting next to a positive person, chances for this to happen might increase.

I would rather see the RT-PCR pre-departure test changed to a regular PCR test.  Regular PCR tests without the RT (reverse transcription) are much easier to find in the local area than RT-PCR tests are. 

As far as a doctor's letter, the lab test results from a completed PCR test should satisfy the travel requirement, with no need for a doctor's letter. 

I think having to get a doctor to issue a letter within the 72 hour window would complicate the process, at least in the US, where doctor's offices run at the speed of cold molasses.  

14 hours ago, reader said:

Another major change we might see next week, is the dropping of the rule to have a RT-PCR test within 72 hours of departure. This is because there is a growing number of countries that don’t actually have an option to have this test done. If it doesn’t happen next week, then I think we should see that happen by 1st December.

I hope this will materialize, one  considerable and costly obstacle less

3 hours ago, daydreamer said:
4 hours ago, spoon said:

If they really waived the pcr testing pre departure, that should at least replaced by rtk test, with doctor's letter. Otherwise, the thing we dread the most, sitting next to a positive person, chances for this to happen might increase.

Expand  

I would rather see the RT-PCR pre-departure test changed to a regular PCR test

This will be the next best thing, but still not as cheap and widely assessable as rtk selft test kit, where u can even just use saliva and takes 15min to get the result. The accuracy is not as good but it is high enough for some brands (95-96%) and can be done in the airport if there is a clinic there.

I know for a fact that KLIA2 (malaysia) have a counter that will provide the documents for only Rm5 (40 baht if u bring your own kit to test there. And price of the kit itself has gone down to around rm6-7 (50-60 baht) only. I guess other airports might have it too.

You will need a rt-pcr test on arrival anyway. Though id still prefer for some kind of test pre-departure if it helps reduce the chances of sitting next to a positive person.

Maybe just maybe, hope they do go down the path of the rapid test.

The government is considering replacing the RT-PCR test with other screening methods for vaccinated tourists under the Test & Go scheme, and easing high-risk close contact (HRC) rules which force airplane passengers who had sat near Covid-19 patients to undergo mandatory quarantine.

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) governor Yuthasak Supasorn said these decisions would be up to the national communicable disease control committee, and would also require approval from the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) meeting to be chaired by the prime minister on Friday.

As the RT-PCR test requires at least six hours for the result, and inbound travellers must book and stay in a hotel room while awaiting the outcome, alternative methods, such as antigen test kits, are more convenient and help manage the flow of tourists better if the number of arrivals increases.

Mr Yuthasak said the CCSA will also consider easing current HRC rules which force those who sit two rows in front of or two rows behind infected passengers on a plane to be relocated to quarantine facilities.

Under the new proposal, only passengers who had sat next to a Covid-19 patient would be kept in quarantine, for a shorter period, meaning there would be a maximum of two travellers affected by the HRC rule.

Meanwhile, those who test positive with mild or no symptoms don't have to be relocated to hospital to receive treatment, but can choose a hospitel or alternative quarantine instead with a shorter period of up to 10 days, from the current 14 days

Maybe rapid testing

14 minutes ago, TMax said:

Mr Yuthasak said the CCSA will also consider easing current HRC rules which force those who sit two rows in front of or two rows behind infected passengers on a plane to be relocated to quarantine facilities.

This rule isn't declared on any of the documentation and publicity material for inbound travelers.

Furthermore, the rules inbound travelers agree to clearly say we can travel anywhere in Thailand after passing the PCR test.  So to detain us when we have passed the test is dishonest.

Also, it dramatically increases the probability of being detained.    If the plane has 3-4-3 seating and they count the entire row, then 2 rows either way means 50 people on a full plane.  

Richard Barrow published the following numbers for top 10 “countries of origin” for people flying to Thailand from 1-14 November. The figures do not distinguish how many entered under COE and those arriving on Thai Pass.

1 USA 7,999

2 UAE 7,935

3 Germany 5,648

4 United Kingdom 2,706

5 Japan 2,530

6 France 1,953

7 Russia 1,875

8 South Korea 1,729

9 Israel 1,532

10 Switzerland 1,507

I really must stop watching Youtube videos from Thailand "helping" technophobes like me to complete the  Thai Pass.

Two weeks ago, one advised us to use only a Gmail address to ensure a response.

Yesterday, another claimed that our insurance document must refer to Covid specifically.  It went on to advise

using a Thai insurance company....

I know that the Gmail advice is wrong; I'm assuming that the insurance advice is too. As I say, I must stop clicking on these videosi

There's no shortage of helpful--and not so helpful--information out there on how to succeed in getting your Thai Pass successfully completed. Richard Barrow today posted that one of the reasons that some get instant approval for their vaccination certificate if they come from one of the 30 countries who share a PKI key (tools used to create and manage public keys for encryption, which is a common method of securing data transfers on the internet. PKI is built into all web browsers used today, and it helps secure public internet traffic).

===============================

Border runs to return?

Land borders are still closed to tourists. However, with the reopening of Cambodia, and hints that Thailand will re-open their land borders to more people, visa runs might be a possibility again. This, together with #ThailandReopening, might mean the end of the “visa amnesty”.

Credit: Richard Barrow Twitter site

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

I really must stop watching Youtube videos from Thailand "helping" technophobes like me to complete the  Thai Pass.

Two weeks ago, one advised us to use only a Gmail address to ensure a response.

Yesterday, another claimed that our insurance document must refer to Covid specifically.  It went on to advise

using a Thai insurance company....

I know that the Gmail advice is wrong; I'm assuming that the insurance advice is too. As I say, I must stop clicking on these videos

There is lots of BS around & none of it will be proven by statistically significant trials.

I think the most reliable way to get your Thai Pass on time is to apply at least 2 weeks before you need it.     In fact, since it is free to apply, why not apply as soon as you have the documents ?

They promise delivery within 7 working days, so if it's not there after 1 week, contact them.

Also, beware of one expert posting something, then everyone else repeating it until it's accepted as fact.  

e.g. There are many people that say the RT-PCR test needs to be taken within 72 hours of flight departure.  That is nonsense, as the rules say the results must be issued within 72 hours of departure, which is quite different.   

I suppose it's age....but I find myself frequently panicking about my upcoming trip, although  it's more than three months away. Two years of separation from my boyfriend has taken its toll and I need desperately to make a success of this visit before travelling is too much for me. This is why every detail has been covered in detail and why erroneous reports of complications (like the Covid stipulation in my insurance) are so annoying.

I've decided that I'll apply for the Pass in January. I have the necessary documentation already. 

11 hours ago, z909 said:

I think the most reliable way to get your Thai Pass on time is to apply at least 2 weeks before you need it.     In fact, since it is free to apply, why not apply as soon as you have the documents ?

e.g. There are many people that say the RT-PCR test needs to be taken within 72 hours of flight departure.  That is nonsense, as the rules say the results must be issued within 72 hours of departure, which is quite different.   

And according to Richard Barrow's interview, there's no time limit for Thailand Pass which implies that you may apply as early as you want to ensure you have the pass document.

By the way it's a great news for me to learn that only the result needs to be issued within 72 hours of departure, do you know if anyone did research on this rule? My flight will be on a Monday which I worry taking the test on the previous Friday won't be early enough since most of the testing locations don't work on Weekend. If only the result is needed to be within 72 hours then I may take the RT-PCR test earlier.

10 hours ago, GPAPA said:

By the way it's a great news for me to learn that only the result needs to be issued within 72 hours of departure, do you know if anyone did research on this rule? My flight will be on a Monday which I worry taking the test on the previous Friday won't be early enough since most of the testing locations don't work on Weekend. If only the result is needed to be within 72 hours then I may take the RT-PCR test earlier.

Anyone traveling is advised to read the rules themselves.  

This has a link to the pdf rules, which is the same document I downloaded from the ministry of foreign affairs (or was it TAT ?).

https://thaiembdc.org/2021/10/21/enterthailandafter1nov/

The key part is "2.2 RT-PCR test with negative test result, issued within 72 hours before departure"

I would print a copy and keep it handy at the departure airport, just in case officials do not understand the rules.

As last year, my test will be taken about 70 hours before departure and the certificate issued within 24 hours of that, so 2 days before departure.   That gives a day spare in case of some problem with the test.   Plus some margin in case of delays to the departing flight.

I put some effort in to select a supplier with a good reputation, as some get terrible reviews.

11 hours ago, kokopelli 2 said:

Here is a website that offers health insurance with Covid included. Many variables are offered such as duration of stay, amount of insurance desired, age of traveler,deductibles, etc.

https://www.insubuy.com/travel-health-insurance/

Interesting. Do you happen to know if UK residens can apply for this?

I'd be wanting an insurance policy that clearly states it provides covid cover AND >>$100,000 on the same page so that can be attached to the Thai Pass application.

So the first thing I do is to check the example documents. 

Although I have insurance, I checked Insubuy in case it's good for a future trip.   I didn't find anything suitable, although the website did stop co-operating before I finished.

I have found exactly that.

https://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/covid-cover-scenarios/

And no age restrictions;  this was a significant issue I encountered  in my investigations. Another plus- though I've not seen the document yet- is that the advisor informed me that the schedule is  a single A4

My intention is buy their insurance, despite having a perfectly adequate one from Lloyds Bank, in order to facilitate the Thai Pass procedure.

4 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I have found exactly that.

https://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/covid-cover-scenarios/

And no age restrictions;  this was a significant issue I encountered  in my investigations. Another plus- though I've not seen the document yet- is that the advisor informed me that the schedule is  a single A4

My intention is buy their insurance, despite having a perfectly adequate one from Lloyds Bank, in order to facilitate the Thai Pass procedure.

That sounds exactly what I want. I also have the Lloyd's cover, and Amex, but this is simpler to show to the Thai authorities. All on one page is another plus!

6 hours ago, z909 said:

I'd be wanting an insurance policy that clearly states it provides covid cover AND >>$100,000 on the same page so that can be attached to the Thai Pass application.

So the first thing I do is to check the example documents. 

Although I have insurance, I checked Insubuy in case it's good for a future trip.   I didn't find anything suitable, although the website did stop co-operating before I finished.

A friend, whom I recommended this site, said it was easy to use and provided all the info necessary including Covid coverage. The actual amount of the health insurance was reduced from 100,000 to $50,000 by Thai authorities.  But you can choose other higher amounts if desired. He received his Thai Pass in two days.

The only thing in question is how long is the insurance required?  This is especially important for those on a retirement extension which could expire in a month  or up to a year. Some people think one month is ok while others think it must extend until the time the retirement extension ends.