Thai Pass

Mr Yuthasak said the plan to label Covid-19 endemic from the second half of the year will lead to further relaxations, including the termination of Thailand Pass, marking a milestone for the industry.

I very much like that section

Thailand ought to terminate ALL of the covid restrictions.

For comparison, I show some data from the FT in the UK, below.    Omicron is now less dangerous than flu.

Of course, this is in the UK, which has been ahead of Thailand with vaccinations.  Although the percentage of people vaccinated in the UK is nothing special, the UK has vaccinated the right people. ie The vaccination rate is high amongst elderly people and low among children, where it's debatable if the vaccine is a benefit.

However, Thailand is more or less on the same path.   Walk in vaccinations are again available, with a choice of vaccines, as reported by Reader this week.    Walk in means no waiting list.

So once everyone has had the option of mRNA vaccines, these individuals have had the option of reducing their covid risk to better than flu.   So there can be no possible justification for continuing restrictions.  

Omicron.JPG

As for the Thai insurance scam, I hope they will be forced to stop that due to competition, as other countries open up without similar scams.    Whilst some board members may have a strong preference for visiting Thailand, the average tourist is more likely to go elsewhere, if the Thai T&C are uncompetitive.  

From The Thaiger

Thailand’s Health Ministry to propose scrapping pre-departure PCR for Test & Go

Thailand’s Public Health Ministry is set to make a proposal to scrap the pre-departure PCR for Test & Go travellers, making entering the country more convenient and cost-efficient. The proposal will need to be approved by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, which will have its general meeting this Friday and is expected to discuss a number of topics, including possibly lifting the mask mandate.

Officials are set to discuss the predeparture RT-PCR Covid-19 test, which is currently required 72 hours before travel to Thailand, according to Secretary of the Ministry of Public Health, Kiattiphum Wongjit. Thai media adds that officials are also discussing reducing the required health insurance from US$20,000 to US$10,000.

Upon arrival, Test & Go travellers are required to undergo another RT-PCR test and isolate at a hotel or resort while they wait for their test results to come back, which can take up to a day. On Day 5 in Thailand, travellers are required to take a rapid antigen Covid-19 test, or ATK.

Reports say officials will also discuss declaring Covid-19 as an endemic once there are more updates from the World Health Organisation. The mask mandate might also soon be lifted, possibly starting with public parks.

27 minutes ago, gerefan said:

I agree spoon....but unfortunately open to abuse.

In their eyes one done at an approved Thai hotel/ hospital would be more trustworthy.

In their eyes, the test done at an approved Thai hotel/hospital would also be more lucrative.

In my eyes, the test done at an approved Thai hotel/hospital is less trustworthy and open to fraud, although I suspect if you avoid Phuket, the risk is very low.

The Thai government should abolish ALL these pointless restrictions on inbound travel.   

Where they ought to concentrate their limited bandwidth is on the vaccination programme.  According to the WHO, on 9 Feb, only 62% of over 60s had received 2 doses.   So the people who need the vaccine the most have a lower uptake rate. 

10 hours ago, z909 said:

In my eyes, the test done at an approved Thai hotel/hospital is less trustworthy and open to fraud, although I suspect if you avoid Phuket, the risk is very low.

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure the arrival test in Phuket is done at the airport and does not have any hotel/private-hospital affiliation because it is booked through the PSAS (Thailand Department of Disease Control) system. That's how I have booked mine for my arrival in 2 weeks, so I'll find out soon I guess.
The day 5 tests used to be hotel/hospital-affiliated but that's no longer a thing with ATK being day 5.

Arriving in BKK you have hotel/hospital arranged testing though, so your point is still a valid concern.

1 hour ago, 10tazione said:

What makes you think Phuket is less trustworthy regarding PCR test results than the other provinces?

Some of the Phuket data has looked suspicious and every single problem I've read about was in Phuket.   In particular the case where a tourist had independent tests done and passed those..

I can't be sure about this and there may be perfectly good reasons for all this, but I won't be going to Phuket whilst these rules are in place.

NOTE - This doesn't mean many long-haul tourists will escape the pre-depdrture tests as most airlines require them, especially for transit passengers.

From Thai Enquirer

New rules on April 1

Thailand will lift the pre-travel test for entry regulations next month, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) decided on Friday.

To encourage more tourists, all travellers will no longer require an RT-PRC test 72 hours before departure to Thailand, starting April 1.

The remaining tests for vaccinated travellers going through the Test and Go and Sandbox procedures include an RT-PCR test on arrival and a self-administered rapid antigen test (self-ATK) on the fifth day of arrival.

For people going through the quarantine programmes, the quarantine period is five days with the same testing procedures.

Starting April 1, the number of “Blue Zones” an area where tourist sandboxes are located and Covid restrictions are more relaxed has been increased from eight to ten provinces.

The provinces include, Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Krabi, Chonburi, Chiang Mai (new addition) Nonthaburi, Pathumthani, Phang Nga, Phetchaburi (new addition) and Phuket.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/38733/covid-restrictions-ease-in-hopes-to-draw-new-tourists/

==========================

From The Tourism Authority of Thailand

Relaxed rules from 1 April, 2022:

Eligible travellers

International arrivals under any of the current three entry schemes – TEST & GO, Sandbox, and Alternative Quarantine (AQ) – will be allowed to enter Thailand without the need to show proof of a negative RT-PCR test within 72 hours of travel.

Points of entry

Air, land, and water points of entry.

• Number of approved airports increased from 7 to 8 – Don Mueang, Suvarnabhumi, Phuket, Krabi, Samui, Chiang Mai, U-Tapao, and Hat Yai (new).
  • Land border checkpoints increased from 3 to 4 – Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Songkhla, and Satun (new)
  • Water points of entry increased from ports and piers in 2 to 3 provinces – Phuket, Chon Buri, and Surat Thani (new).

Types of vessels also increased from yachts to also cover ships of Thai government agencies, while Thai crew members on cargo ships will also be allowed to enter Thailand.

Testing requirement

Two tests remain in place for the TEST & GO and Sandbox travellers: RT-PCR test upon arrival (Day 0) and an antigen self-test on Day 5.

Sandbox staying period

Reduced to 5 days from currently 7 days. After completing five days within the Sandbox destinations, travellers will be allowed to travel domestically within Thailand.

AQ requirement

Quarantine reduced to 5 days and an RT-PCR test on Day 4-5.

================================

1 hour ago, reader said:

NOTE - This doesn't mean many long-haul tourists will escape the pre-depdrture tests as most airlines require them, especially for transit passengers.

From Thai Enquirer

New rules on April 1

Thailand will lift the pre-travel test for entry regulations next month, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) decided on Friday.

To encourage more tourists, all travellers will no longer require an RT-PRC test 72 hours before departure to Thailand, starting April 1.

The remaining tests for vaccinated travellers going through the Test and Go and Sandbox procedures include an RT-PCR test on arrival and a self-administered rapid antigen test (self-ATK) on the fifth day of arrival.

For people going through the quarantine programmes, the quarantine period is five days with the same testing procedures.

Starting April 1, the number of “Blue Zones” an area where tourist sandboxes are located and Covid restrictions are more relaxed has been increased from eight to ten provinces.

The provinces include, Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Krabi, Chonburi, Chiang Mai (new addition) Nonthaburi, Pathumthani, Phang Nga, Phetchaburi (new addition) and Phuket.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/38733/covid-restrictions-ease-in-hopes-to-draw-new-tourists/

==========================

From The Tourism Authority of Thailand

Relaxed rules from 1 April, 2022:

Eligible travellers

International arrivals under any of the current three entry schemes – TEST & GO, Sandbox, and Alternative Quarantine (AQ) – will be allowed to enter Thailand without the need to show proof of a negative RT-PCR test within 72 hours of travel.

Points of entry

Air, land, and water points of entry.

• Number of approved airports increased from 7 to 8 – Don Mueang, Suvarnabhumi, Phuket, Krabi, Samui, Chiang Mai, U-Tapao, and Hat Yai (new).
  • Land border checkpoints increased from 3 to 4 – Nong Khai, Udon Thani, Songkhla, and Satun (new)
  • Water points of entry increased from ports and piers in 2 to 3 provinces – Phuket, Chon Buri, and Surat Thani (new).

Types of vessels also increased from yachts to also cover ships of Thai government agencies, while Thai crew members on cargo ships will also be allowed to enter Thailand.

Testing requirement

Two tests remain in place for the TEST & GO and Sandbox travellers: RT-PCR test upon arrival (Day 0) and an antigen self-test on Day 5.

Sandbox staying period

Reduced to 5 days from currently 7 days. After completing five days within the Sandbox destinations, travellers will be allowed to travel domestically within Thailand.

AQ requirement

Quarantine reduced to 5 days and an RT-PCR test on Day 4-5.

================================

Wow - those numbers really are tiny. I am amazed there are any businesses still going. 

I will be doing my bit soon - arrive on the 28 March as long as I manage to avoid the plague pre departure! 

2 hours ago, reader said:

Even if the majority of airlines require tests, thankfully our board members usually have a choice of airline and not all airlines need them.    So if this matters, pay attention when booking.

For example, last month Emirates had no requirement for transit passengers to test, whilst Etihad did.  [I guess it is the same now, but DYOR]

Also, for what it's worth, Thailand had a fairly relaxed schedule for the pre-departure test, requiring the result to be issued within 72 hours of departure.    Some airlines required the test to be taken within 48 hours of departure.

Yes, it's possible to get around the requirement in certain defined circumstances. Conditions that could affect a passenger's need for a per-departure test:

• Requirements of the country of departure
  • Requirements of the air carrier
  • Requirements in transit country (if applicable)
  • Requirements in destination country.

Any of these conditions are subject to change at any time.

The one thing all travelers want to avoid is arriving at the airport and inadvertently not having all required documents.

6 hours ago, abidismaili said:

I also don’t have that app installed

I didn't have Mor Chana installed simply because it didnt work. Therefore I also couldn't upload any test results on this app. Noone in Thailand ever checked if I have that app installed or not.

I took some screenshots to prove it doesn't work just in case though. Was anyone so far able to register his Thai Pass in Mor Chana on an Android phone? Did anyone except me even try?

I understood we were supposed to have Mor Chana installed.

I installed it, but deliberately didn't register or grant it permission to use GPS or bluetooth.

Also TIT, so  I imagine they are used to software not working properly. 

From Richardbarrow.com

Only 26 international arrivals tested positive yesterday although the number of people coming to Thailand is increasing daily. This month so far, only 0.73% tested positive compared to 2.25% in February and 3.73% in January.

30 minutes ago, reader said:

From Richardbarrow.com

Only 26 international arrivals tested positive yesterday although the number of people coming to Thailand is increasing daily. This month so far, only 0.73% tested positive compared to 2.25% in February and 3.73% in January.

It is however as a sex tourist very hard to avoid getting it here in Thailand. Luckily my country from 23 March on doesn’t require a PCR test anymore to travel back home. Else I wonder how many at the end of their trip will have a positive test and can stay. 

Question: my temperature was checked at the airport upon arrival. Do they do the same when you depart? Else for sex tourists - who have very intimate contact - getting back home on the planned date can be a challenge. 

4 hours ago, abidismaili said:

Question: my temperature was checked at the airport upon arrival. Do they do the same when you depart? Else for sex tourists - who have very intimate contact - getting back home on the planned date can be a challenge. 

They screen the temperature when you enter the aiport.

6 hours ago, abidismaili said:

It is however as a sex tourist very hard to avoid getting it here in Thailand.

I imagine the majority of tourists avoid getting covid in Thailand.   I did 89 days with no known covid and I did take a couple of home tests when I had very mild symptoms.  

Out of all the other writers on this forum, the only one I recall reporting covid was caught by one of the 5 day tests. Of course, that was in Phuket.