TotallyOz

What bank in Pattaya is easy to get account without long term visa?

• Members

I have read that there are two Bangkok Bank branches that are often more lenient as far as opening an account for farang without a visa.  One is located on Pattaya Tai, right next to the corner where Walking St begins.  If you are facing the Walking St overhead sign, it is just on your left. 

The other branch is also Bangkok Bank on Pattaya SaiSong (Second Road) across from the end of soi 6.  I have no experience with either one.  I got my K-Bank account many years ago in Chiang Mai with just a passport and my hotel address.

If the bank asks for proof of residence, your friend can obtain written proof of residence from the immigration office, even if staying in a hotel.  Hotels send the info to the immigration police for all hotel guests, so they can easily verify the address of residence because it's already in their computer system.

I would suggest not wearing shorts, rubber flip-flops, and a Singha Beer T-shirt to the bank when asking to open an account without a long term visa, even though it is Pattaya. 

Bear in mind the way things seem to work with the banks.  If you don't get the answer you want at one bank branch, just go to another - and another.  Chances are if you go to enough of them, sooner later you'll be able to open an account.  Don't forget to also get online banking.

I suggest trying Kasikorn Bank, aka K-Bank.

I tried setting-up an account a few years ago. Visited many Pattaya banks, not a suggestion from any of them that it was possible. I also tried to do do through Bangkok Bank's office here in London.  Gave up.

Eventually, I did so by using my partner's name.  Of course, this isn't much use to you if you are single.  Very convenient for me though. One of the considerations was that he would have instant access to financial support if I suddenly popped my clogs!

Let us know if you succeed, please.

16 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I tried setting-up an account a few years ago.

Do you remember which visa you had at the time? 

Those of you who have been on the boards long enough may recall I used to very often urge those considering retiring in Thailand or making multiple trips to Thailand to open a Thai bank account while you still can - because it was getting more and more difficult to do so.  Many years ago when I opened my Bangkok Bank account, which I still hold, I had no problem doing it on the 30 day privilege.  Obviously now it is far more difficult for foreigners to open a Thai bank account.

No problem at all, though, if you hold a retirement visa.

So - if TotallyOz's friend succeeds and we find out how he did it, I'll repeat my advice - if you may ever need a Thai bank account, open one while you still can . . .

I tried many banks on their different branches in Bangkok and pattaya. Most will outright reject you by asking work permit.

Eventually, got one from Bangkok bank in one of the mall branch. I had to have a consulate stamped letter of sorts verifying address. I just put my hotel address.

I might have gotten one in the Bangkok bank located in the pattaya central festival mall but I needed a trip to my consulate, so I didn’t go through. But they were the only once it was even possible on a visa exempt entry. This was about 4 years ago though.

So if I understand this correctly, they need to see 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account for 3 months to issue a retirement visa, but are also making it more difficult to open a bank account without proof of permanent residency ?

Thankfully, when I opened an account a few years ago, I just needed a passport, a phone number and an address scribbled down on a piece of paper.   I decided to omit the word "hotel".   

They charge about 200 baht a year for operating this & in return, my cost of ATM withdrawals is reduced from about 200 baht to either 0 baht in Bangkok or 15 baht elsewhere.   So it makes sense for anyone who needs more than a couple of Thai ATM withdrawals per year.

2 hours ago, Ryanqqq said:

Eventually, got one from Bangkok bank in one of the mall branch. I had to have a consulate stamped letter of sorts verifying address. I just put my hotel address.

Now without holding the retirement visa it is very difficult to open a Thai bank account, but if you try hard enough and are willing to try enough different branches it still can be done.  How much longer it can be done is anybody's guess.

If anyone has any reason to believe you might sooner or later need a Thai bank account, I suggest doing whatever you need to do to get it during your next trip to Thailand.

From what I understand, Kasikorn Bank (aka K-Bank) is the bank most likely to approve opening an account.

24 minutes ago, z909 said:

So if I understand this correctly, they need to see 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account for 3 months to issue a retirement visa, but are also making it more difficult to open a bank account without proof of permanent residency ?

Obviously people do manage to get their first-time retirement visa, but I don't know how it works or what people have to do if they don't already hold a Thai bank account.  Maybe it has to be done through one of the visa agents.  Maybe they can also help to open a Thai bank account.  Can't hurt to try.

I've never used a visa agent, but I do know in Pattaya Mots-Services is reliable, reasonably priced, and honest.  One of the services they provide according to their web site is "OPEN THAI BANK ACCOUNT" When you read the details, their fee is 3500 baht and they can do it even if you have only a tourist visa.  See:  https://www.mots-services.com/

One thing is clear - things involving Thai bank accounts and retirement visas are not getting any easier.  I wish I could provide better advice, but this is the best I can do.

I visited a visa agent on Soi Bukhao, just to check what visa extensions might be possible.

The options included a 12 month retirement extension.   The fees included 13900 for the visa (presumably including visa fee, agent fee and tea money) and 1700 for fixing up a bank account, briefly crediting it with the 800,000 and getting a statement.   So opening a bank account clearly is still possible.

At a more mundane level, I went to Kasikorn to replace my ATM card.  They asked for 300 Baht. Like last time.  Having looked up the fees whilst waiting, I queried why it was 300 and was told it's 50 for the new card and 250 for the annual card fee.  I stated this fee is debited from my account every December, so they then refunded the portion of that fee already debited. No wonder service is slow, with such daft processes.

On 11/16/2021 at 5:12 PM, Gaybutton said:

Obviously people do manage to get their first-time retirement visa, but I don't know how it works or what people have to do if they don't already hold a Thai bank account.  Maybe it has to be done through one of the visa agents.  Maybe they can also help to open a Thai bank account.  Can't hurt to try.

I've never used a visa agent, but I do know in Pattaya Mots-Services is reliable, reasonably priced, and honest.  One of the services they provide according to their web site is "OPEN THAI BANK ACCOUNT" When you read the details, their fee is 3500 baht and they can do it even if you have only a tourist visa.  See:  https://www.mots-services.com/

One thing is clear - things involving Thai bank accounts and retirement visas are not getting any easier.  I wish I could provide better advice, but this is the best I can do.

Gaybutton, heading your advice, a friend used Mots recently and they were excellent. Totally trustworthy and reliable. Thanks.

10 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

Bangkok Bank.

Excellent.  In my opinion the two best banks for foreigners are Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank.  And getting an account with Bangkok Bank these days is very difficult without either a work permit or retirement visa.

I assume he is aware that online banking is available with Bangkok Bank.

27 minutes ago, Gaybutton said:

Excellent.  In my opinion the two best banks for foreigners are Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank.  And getting an account with Bangkok Bank these days is very difficult without either a work permit or retirement visa.

I assume he is aware that online banking is available with Bangkok Bank.

Yep. He has it all set up on his phone and loves it.

I like many banks in Thailand but I always found Kasikorn easy and good customer support. I have Bangkok Bank for years as well and like their mobile app better than KBank.