vinapu

Third time lucky - December 2021 trip to Thailand in covid time

38 minutes ago, vinapu said:

YOUR BOARDING PASS FROM LEG BRINGING YOU TO THAILAND, somewhat unexpected

I'm not surprised by that.  My guess is they want to make sure, if a leg took you to a country Thailand has currently banned, that you were simply in transit and did not spend time there.  Of course, if you had spent time in a banned country I doubt they would have let you board to continue on to Thailand - either that or who knows what might have happened upon arrival in Thailand.

In any case, no matter what their reason was, I'm glad you made it and had a trouble-free experience upon arrival.

My next question is why did you go now, before the bars and entertainment venues have opened?  And now, because of the Omicron variant, they are already talking about postponing the reopenings even further.

How long will you be in Thailand before returning home?

54 minutes ago, vinapu said:

AND YOUR BOARDING PASS FROM LEG BRINGING YOU TO THAILAND, somewhat unexpected.

Glad to hear you also encountered an efficient arrivals process and welcome to Thailand !

As for the boarding pass, I did try to reduce the element of surprise with a similar warning last week.  Were you too busy packing to read it ?🙄

5 hours ago, Londoner said:

I'm envious! And delighted to see that entry was painless....even a little thing like being able to buy a SIM.

I hope we can look forward to daily updates. 

It was indeed but preparation all those documents  before entry was a bit intimidating not to mention annoying but I, m sure, worth it. Gnash your teeth and do it. 

Good news is, nobody mentioned Morchana app or whatever is called. 

As for daily updates don't  count on it but I'll try if only because I don't like my new tablet and if weather like today will hold it may be problem for me to stay indoors unless forced by suitable company. 

Looking forward to your daily update and hopefully you are not going to write the episodes only after you return to your home country. Looking for updates on bars, massage joints in particular. 

I am booked up to go to Bangkok in two weeks time but I might not eventually be going - can always reschedule.

1 hour ago, rollingstone said:

Looking forward to your daily update and hopefully you are not going to write the episodes only after you return to your home country. Looking for updates on bars, massage joints in particular. 

I am booked up to go to Bangkok in two weeks time but I might not eventually be going - can always reschedule.

Don' t spit on me but it will be exactly what will happen. I will keep you posted about tourist stuff since it was my thirst up to 3 days ago so I understand the needs but manly stuff will wait until I return. 

As for your trip you are best placed to made informed decision based on your priorities and circumstances. All I can say now it' s I' m very happy I braved to come, at least after 1 day. 

Typing on a tablet is not ideal but with predictive typing it is better than using my Bluetooth keyboard, which I decided to leave at home this time.

Editing is more tricky.   If I quote someone, then change my mind, it's impossible to delete the quote.

As for the rats, I do wonder why the cats look so underfed with so much food to be caught.

On 12/5/2021 at 2:39 AM, vinapu said:

I noticed 1 exchange booth open but rates were kind disappointing so I did not change money there. 

In the airport proper, or down in the basement?

In normal times, if you need to change money at the airport it's best to go down to the basement, where there are several money exchanges. Because it's technically the airport rail link terminal, it is outside the cartel that the banks run in the airport proper and the rates are significantly better (several percent, not fractions of a penny).

Of course "normal times" don't apply so I don't know whether the exchanges are operating at present.

On 12/5/2021 at 3:19 AM, Gaybutton said:

YOUR BOARDING PASS FROM LEG BRINGING YOU TO THAILAND, somewhat unexpected

I'm not surprised by that.  My guess is they want to make sure, if a leg took you to a country Thailand has currently banned, that you were simply in transit and did not spend time there. 

or it could just be TiT bureaucracy. They were asking for boarding cards for no obvious reason when I last arrived back in 2019.

I never destroy the paperwork until the journey is completely finished. (Baggage receipt in particular: some countries actually require it before you can pick up your bag!)

Sorry guys for lack of updates but I found chapel for quiet contemplation and I' kind of busy. Will write soon but pleased to inform you that things are picking up, I'd say, by the day at least In BKK but will have news from Pattaya as well. Working on certain travel guide to go there with me as I,m afraid I may be lost in Ekkamai or something. 

Dearth of tourists is visible so if you are thinking of coming, just do it for YKW sake

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

Working on certain travel guide to go there with me as I,m afraid I may be lost in Ekkamai or something. 

Ekkamai is far away and unpleasant ,It's better to take the bus to Pattaya from Mochit bus station or the airport bus from Suvarnabhumi .

14 hours ago, Boy69 said:

Ekkamai is far away and unpleasant ,It's better to take the bus to Pattaya from Mochit bus station or the airport bus from Suvarnabhumi .

??? surely "far away and unpleasant" best describes Sai Tai Mai, which isn't near anywhere.

I'd say Ekamai is accessible and compact. It's right by the BTS station of the same name, so unlike Mochit you don't need a taxi. Also it's so small you can't get lost, unlike Mochit. Tickets for the Pattaya buses are sold at the rightmost counter and the buses leave from platform 1.  Simples.

However, if you're going from Suvarnabhumi, don't overlook the Bell buses. Pre-booked only, about every 2 hours during the day, about twice the price of the regular buses, but that includes minibus shuttle to your hotel.

15 hours ago, Boy69 said:

I think you mixed  both stations, why one going to Pattaya would go to Morchit which is in other direction unless living near there?

I agree about airport bus being best option, easy to get to and bus is not stuck I traffic. In Pattaya airport bus station is, just walking distance from Jomtien complex. 

Speaking about transport options - yesterday I surveyed new SRT red lines from Bang Sue stations. Shiny and fast. About 10 minutes to Don Muang airprt, trains every 20 MINS, go all the way to Rangsit. 42 baht to Rangsit.  Another one  goes other way, across the river to Bang Bamru terminating in some Tailing Chan or something, I forgot no, convenient for unique boat shaped Wat Chelo. 

On another hand old, rickety train from  Hualampong took 1 hour to Don Muang while with new train with need to take Mrt to Grand BaNg Sue Station, than walk to platform  and again walk quite a bit at Don Muang one easily can be there in mere 60 minutes. Conveniently as you walk from SRT to terminal there,s Street food mall on the way so yoy can have your fill.

I,m bit sarcastic here and it, s not warranted since I really liked it but it,s good to be realistic with timing. New SRT station is also at south end of terminal while old one is just across with much lass, walking. Anyways as we know on 23 rd Hualampong option becomes history.

Bang Sue is a monster of the building as far as size goesvbut eye pleasing from outside and all. It needs is a shuttle from old station there, elevated or in the tunnel. 

It, s also prepared for the furore with " HIGH SPEED TRAINS" pointers installed already. You build it and they will come.