vinapu

Third time lucky - December 2021 trip to Thailand in covid time

Excellent reports, thank you for writing them. 

Regarding the chat in the thread about the constant messages on the apps from previous contacts, they can get very annoying and tedious, but I've only needed to block 2 or 3 in all the trips I've made so far in my experience.  At first I just try and keep the replies short, non committal and polite, and then I ignore when it gets too much.  After about 6 messages they tend to give up.  Only the very persistent I block - I've only had one occasion where it got a bit messy where the blocked guy turned up at the hotel.  Fortunately the receptionist managed to calm the guy down and sorted it so he didn't return - I felt a bit bad about it so made sure the receptionist was suitably rewarded.

I've also befriended a few guys on Facebook, usually when heart has been ruling head or in the heat of the moment usually regretting it the next day.  I then tend to put on restricted mode for the rest of the trip and then delete when I return home.

I used to feel a bit bad for not responding, but have learnt to be a bit tough about it otherwise it would take over a considerable amount of time engaging and replying.

I guess there are worse problems to have though...

3 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

In short, when it is truly fair I have no problem with it.  But sometimes I see it as nothing more than a scam and rip-off.  When that happens I usually won't go to that venue.  I'll just have to try to survive somehow without going wherever that was.                             

When is life fair for all? Never! If someone gets pissed off, there are usually alternatives of some sort. Maybe they will be just as expensive but probably better quality.

As far as transport in Chiang Mai is concerned, 'twas ever thus! As far back as 1987 on my first visit it was a lot more expensive than by comparison with Bangkok. But what are you going to do about it? It is what it is. At least now with Grab you get a quotation and a car that will usually turn up in only a few minutes. Same as transport in Phuket which for decades was - and maybe still is - run by some kind of mafia. If you don't like it, hire a jeep or a car. I just can't be bothered with the moaners who believe they could run things better (no doubt true) and that everything should be a matter of supply and demand for everyone (why?). This is Thailand - not England, not the USA, not Australia or any other country. What about all those first world countries I mentioned in my earlier post which appear  not to have double pricing but make sure the tourist pays by slapping a tourist tax on every visit? What's the difference? Do moaners quibble about paying a tax which might be the same as an extra euro or so on a Swiss tram?

20 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

When is life fair for all?

Who's talking about whether life is fair?  I'm talking about whether prices are fair.  Don't you think that's just a little bit different?  Like I said, I don't mind paying a fair, reasonable price beyond what Thais pay.  But I mind very much when somebody is trying to rip me off.

The venue owners of some of those places that try to rip-off people don't mind at all having their hands out, but if the situation was reversed and they find themselves having to pay an unreasonable price somewhere, they would be the first ones to start screaming.

To me it's very simple - if you don't mind paying the price, have a good time.  If you do mind, then don't go.

3 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

..... sometimes I see it as nothing more than a scam and rip-off.  When that happens I usually won't go to that venue.  I'll just have to try to survive somehow without going wherever that was.                             

and that is solution we should employ , either grind teeth and pay or give it a miss and see it on You Tube.

Excessive pricing happens in every country, dual pricing or not - we have the same solution , go or not to go.

Sometimes we regret later we were stingy or acted  excessively on principle and did not visit desired place ( did not buy something we liked , did not off boy who was charming and hot etc.). 

I learned that lesson from my friend who years ago skipped on Uffizi Galleria in Florence because of price of admission. Then life came and it took her 30 years before she was able to visit Florence again determined to go there no matter  of price. She did not because some issues and place was closed, fortunately just for a day. Third attempt was successful but she admitted she lived 30 years with kind of guilt she was so cheap.

8 hours ago, z909 said:

However, I dislike the principle of baht buses at the Northern Bus station trying to charge me 6x the price, when their costs are the same. 

that is universal, not just Pattaya or Thailand's problem. 

Taxi drivers at point of entry like airport or rail station often try to scam price of suspected newcomers , not even necessarily foreigners. Meter not working, there's obligatory flat rate etc. stories. Happen to me in my city even if I live in very well behaved place but was taken for foreigner because luggage and accent, lol

1 hour ago, Midguy1 said:

Excellent reports, thank you for writing them. 

I used to feel a bit bad for not responding, but have learnt to be a bit tough about it otherwise it would take over a considerable amount of time engaging and replying.

thank you , you will have plenty of chance to get bored as it was quite long trip of mine. 

I had the same feeling of being impolite but fast realized that vacation time is too precious to spent it on the apps

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

I learned that lesson from my friend who years ago skipped on Uffizi Galleria in Florence because of price of admission. Then life came and it took her 30 years before she was able to visit Florence again determined to go there no matter  of price. She did not because some issues and place was closed, fortunately just for a day. Third attempt was successful but she admitted she lived 30 years with kind of guilt she was so cheap.

Yes. Since switching from employed-and-saving mode to retired-and-spending, when contemplating something expensive but affordable I often find I have to say to myself "can you really not afford it?"  with an incredulous inflection. (Precise choice of words, word order and intonation are important here; if your first language is not British English you may not get the exact sense.)

I'm totally devastated to read that Adams Apple is gone.

I've had so many wonderful nights there and have bedded so many of their super-hung masculine Shan studs. So hard, so long, so thick! And so willing to please!

But I'm very happy to hear Classic is still going. They always had a large selection of different types of guys. The only thing you had to be careful about was "mooks" - those pearls the guys put under the skin of their cocks - and the dreaded silicone.

51 minutes ago, a-447 said:

I'm totally devastated to read that Adams Apple is gone.

I've had so many wonderful nights there and have bedded so many of their super-hung masculine Shan studs. So hard, so long, so thick! And so willing to please!

But I'm very happy to hear Classic is still going. They always had a large selection of different types of guys. The only thing you had to be careful about was "mooks" - those pearls the guys put under the skin of their cocks - and the dreaded silicone.

Instead being devastated think an bout new opportunities. What is gone  is gone although in better times mat be resurrected. Adams Apple though seems to be gone for good as even premises are for sale / rent , I don't remember exactly.

As for Classic and mooks I may have good news for many, I saw my share of silicon and mook deformed cocks on  otherwise great guys this trip  but none of them in Chiang Mai and I sampled no less than 5 guys from Classic in those fabulous 4 days there. All five were of good size and well shaped. I agree that selection at Classic was great , it was a reason of my monodiet there in CM, bar one side trip to Sanctuary, also of best cock quality

23 hours ago, vinapu said:

Few steps and big disappointment as Adams Apple  is permanently closed with  ‘ for rent ‘sign. What one can do ?

Adam's Apple is closed for some time ago I am surprised you didn't know that even before the Covid 19 business were very slow ot past its glory day many years ago due lack of gay tourists the whole gay secen in Chiang Mai faded . T

13 hours ago, vinapu said:

500 baht seemed reasonable so I agreed immediately , bought some drinks   at 7/11 and up the  hill we went.

You did the right choice 500 Baht including two hours waiting and return is very reasonable rate , For me  Doi Suthep is one of the most amazing places I ever saw .

3 hours ago, Boy69 said:

Adam's Apple is closed for some time ago I am surprised you didn't know that even before the Covid 19 business were very slow ot past its glory day many years ago due lack of gay tourists the whole gay secen in Chiang Mai faded .

I did not know indeed, perhaps because I always more focus on what's opened , not what is closed , including my own wallet.

Even faded gay scene in Chiang Mai worked for me very well and chances are city will be included in my circuit in future trips.

I repeat  my mantra for 27th time, all we need is one bar and one suitable boy in it.

1 hour ago, Boy69 said:

If you liked the boy and you did have great time together I don't see any wrong here by buying him a phone my moto in life it's better to be generous and kind then cheap Cahrlie. I am doing only long term with a boy because I like the illusion of "boyfriend" companion besides the fee agreed I don't mind from time to time to buy the boy a gift such a perfume ,shoes , clothes atc. as he wishes it's a part of the adventure with him and if both sides are statisfied and happy I never regret doing that.

this is exactly how I treated whole phone debacle - part of adventure. He was particularly good in creating 'boyfriend ' illusion without pretending it's real thing so got rewarded for his skills I guess. Although generally I believe more in monetary compensation than material gifts he skillfully created situation when I wanted  to see him happy  for receiving those goods. 

Let's don't forget that for us 10k Baht is not small amount but it's not something that would brake our bank account but for average Thai boy it's equal to one month average salary in Thailand it's a substantial amount for him and if you didn't buy him that phone it will probably takes for him many months of savings before he could afford himself buying it.

46 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

Let's don't forget that for us 10k Baht is not small amount but it's not something that would brake our bank account but for average Thai boy it's equal to one month average salary in Thailand it's a substantial amount for him and if you didn't buy him that phone it will probably takes for him many months of savings before he could afford himself buying it.

he had a working phone and just took an opportunity to upgrade, lets put it this way , I had fun buying it and witnessing whole spectacle to coerce me to do it, that's all