billyhouston

Soi Than Tawan

8 hours ago, colmx said:

Looks like the old location of Tomahawk bar?

The Tomahawk Bar I remember from 2003 had several seating risers built into the wall opposite a VERY small raised stage when the guys would dance. Maybe this is after one of many remodels???

I saw this picture & thought the outfit is just crying out to be edited.   

Here's the result.   Once upon a time the lads at Nature Boys used to wear aprons rather like this & nothing else.   Times change......

Nature boys simulation censor.JPG

• Members
11 hours ago, New Londoner said:

Yes....I remember them well. Ah, the Good Old Days. As I recall, Tomahawk had gone by 2000. Since then it's been downhill all the way in go go bars. Or is that just an old man reminiscing?

The Tomahawk was in existence on my first visit to Bangkok in December 2000.

29 minutes ago, New Londoner said:

Really? my poor memory suggests that I'm older than I thought! So when did it close?

By the way, who recalls a go go bar called Apache in Saphan Kwai?  The area was once a significant centre for gay bars.

I remember venturing to Saphan Kwai about 3 times during the early 1990s since I had heard about a cluster of bars in that area. I stopped by a couple of the gogo bars although I cannot now remember their names. As far as I recall, the dress of the boys was not as skimpy as Soi Twilight and the clientele was more Thai than farang. Perhaps one reason was it was really difficult to get there by tut tuk. I found it less interesting than what was on offer in Twilight and other central locations. So never went back.

11 hours ago, New Londoner said:

Really? my poor memory suggests that I'm older than I thought! So when did it close?

Fortunately I did not have to rely on my failing memory. My notes from the era record a visit to Tomahawk on 22 February 2003. A quick skim of the next couple of years did not reveal any subsequent visits. There is, I'm sure, an unkind word for people who keep these sorts of notes.

• Members
17 hours ago, New Londoner said:

By the way, who recalls a go go bar called Apache in Saphan Kwai?  The area was once a significant centre for gay bars.

Yes, I remember the Apache Bar from the 90's, and the loincloth costumes the boys wore in the bar.

I remember reading an article in Midway magazine that predicted that the planned skytrain, which was due to open in 1999, would hopefully bring more farang customers to the numerous Saphan Kwai bars.  I don't think the skytrain ever made the area popular with farangs.

Some of the Saphan Kwai bars I remember offing boys from were:

Be High
Street Boy
Hippodrome
Charmming (spelled with two M's)
The Eagle
Apache
Midnight Cowboy

These bars were all within walking distance of each other, in the side sois along Pradipat Road.