Midguy1

Trip report

A very good report.  

Midguy1 clearly stated he confirmed he would be the only passenger on the van in advance, so that's good preparation, not luck !

Well done to the Trinity Silom for turning things around so fast.  Plane touches down at 8:00am.  Free from quarantine at 13:00.   Others planning a trip soon might want to take note of that.

17 hours ago, z909 said:

Midguy1 clearly stated he confirmed he would be the only passenger on the van 

Sorry, my mistake --   " I was put in a van on my own which I previously requested by email." I read  as 'Requested a van in advance' rather than ' van on MY OWN in advance".

In no way was it a criticism, just to point out to others that it would be wise to make sure and why.

Thanks guys.  I did request solo transport by email (the same time I emailed them all the documents they required).  It just so happens it was a van they used as the vehicle.  They kept to their word as I saw the agents itinerary at the airport had me down as solo in one vehicle.

Thanks for raising this as a discussion point because I think it's also useful for anyone else booking a trip to make sure they ask the hotel (and get confirmation) that solo transport will be arranged.

4 hours ago, 18past19 said:

Very impressive turnaround time!
I really appreciate the info. I just cancelled my booking with Furama Silom and just put in a new reservation with Trinity Silom. 

I hope you get as lucky as me.  Just a word of caution - they did tell me it would be next morning for the result when they took the swab - but was very happy when the phone rang 3 hours later!

I thought it is interesting that hotels don't react to those "how long will I be confined" worries ... I would be a big business advantage if they would garantee test results within 3 hours. I guess many would pay a few bucks more to get the result within 3 hours.

Then I saw the website of "The Quarter Silom", and they offer an express test for an extra 4500 baht, which is a bit high of a price in my opinion (offer valid until november, but is still on there website). They also drive you from airport to hospital and then to hotel, so no delay for taking the test, because with some hotels it is not clear if you will be tested immediately after arriving at the hotel.

I would probably pay 50$ extra for getting the results within 3 hours if the alternative is 12 hours and I arrive at a time where the waiting time does not overlap with sleeping time,. How much would others spend? Are there any other hotels who offer express test?

2 hours ago, 10tazione said:

I thought it is interesting that hotels don't react to those "how long will I be confined" worries ... I would be a big business advantage if they would garantee test results within 3 hours. I guess many would pay a few bucks more to get the result within 3 hours.

Then I saw the website of "The Quarter Silom", and they offer an express test for an extra 4500 baht, which is a bit high of a price in my opinion (offer valid until november, but is still on there website). They also drive you from airport to hospital and then to hotel, so no delay for taking the test, because with some hotels it is not clear if you will be tested immediately after arriving at the hotel.

I would probably pay 50$ extra for getting the results within 3 hours if the alternative is 12 hours and I arrive at a time where the waiting time does not overlap with sleeping time,. How much would others spend? Are there any other hotels who offer express test?

Marriot do. I cant recall how much extra but it is significant and the express test promised to be deliver within 6 hours

18 hours ago, spoon said:

Marriot do. I cant recall how much extra but it is significant and the express test promised to be deliver within 6 hours

My hotel has an express option for an additional $70, 4 hours guaranteed.

The total package - car from airport, testing and express results - costs around $180.

The $110 car from airport + non-express test is the standard cost of the hotel's chauffered Benz, so they are not adding anything extra for the non-express test.

On 12/15/2021 at 11:39 AM, faranglaw said:

Which apps are you using?  I am also finding some interest as well but not for free as I’ve passed the point of no return at 71.

I used Grindr and Hornet.  I found the only freebies were in Bangkok though - I was probably just lucky at the right place at the right time.

8 hours ago, Midguy1 said:

The main central soi in paradise seemed to be where most of the gay massage shops are located where I counted about 5 or 6 shops open.  My favourite place was a place called 4 Massage (red shop) at the top of the soi, as being into more guy next door/fuller guys this is where they seemed to be (when I visited anyway).

4 Massage is great! I went there a couple of years ago and had a lot of fun with a couple of the guys there. Glad to hear they are still open.

9 hours ago, Midguy1 said:

The transport in Phuket really is its Achilles Heal.

Agree about the transport. There was a 'smart bus' last time I was there that ran the length of the west coast from the airport, not sure if it is still running but from memory I think it was under 200 baht, and I think it also accepted rabbit cards. The bus stops were limited though and I ended up walking about 10-15 minutes with my suitcase to my hotel. Fun times though and I hope to return at some point in the future.