reader

Pattaya hotel room bookings drop significantly after “Test & Go” scheme suspended

From Pattaya News

Hotel room bookings in Pattaya have dropped significantly after the Thai government suspended the “Test & Go” scheme earlier this week. This has led to a rising number of business leaders asking for Pattaya to become a Sandbox zone like Phuket during the suspension.

Mr. Boonanan Pattanasin, the president of the Pattaya Businessmen and Tourism Association, told TPN media, “After the “Test & Go” no-quarantine tourism scheme for all international tourists has been suspended and only the Phuket Sandbox allowed with the other sandbox zones closed, the number of hotel rooms booked in Pattaya have dropped significantly.”

“Many tourists are planning to come to Pattaya during the high season from January to February. We need either the “Test & Go” system to remain open for this registration so that tourists can come to Pattaya after New Year or allow Pattaya to become a Sandbox.” Boonanan added.

“Pattaya is similar to Phuket. We have many tourism attractions and businesses and rely on tourism for about 85 percent of our GDP. Only having the Phuket Sandbox cannot drive the whole countries tourism economy.” Boonanan stated.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/12/24/pattaya-hotel-room-bookings-drop-significantly-after-test-go-scheme-suspended-more-business-leaders-call-for-pattaya-to-be-a-sandbox-again/

This should not come as surprise. Well known hotel I'm staying in Bangkok seems fairly busy judging by quite decent crowd at breakfast at 8.30 but very few farangs and only 2 money boys, luckily one sitting at my table. 

Seems locals finally can enjoy their country by  themsekves, unfortunately it comes by other locals expense. 

In Pattaya likely it, s even worse

Since Omicron is already circulating in Thailand, a reversion to "Test and Go", or even lateral flow testing would make much more sense.  

While they are at it, why not make it really easy for tourists already here to extend their visas ?  By really easy, I mean a 60 second online application.  Passport number, no of extra days, SUBMIT......

As it is, the hotel opposite mine recently had some rooms with lights on for the first time this month.  I even decided to pay more attention to my attire before opening the curtains in the morning. Now they seem empty again.

Boyztown was having a very quiet Sunday.   Of the dozen or so staff outside BBB, about 2 or 3 were customers.  

On 12/26/2021 at 6:50 PM, z909 said:

As it is, the hotel opposite mine recently had some rooms with lights on for the first time this month.  I even decided to pay more attention to my attire before opening the curtains in the morning. Now they seem empty again.

Boyztown was having a very quiet Sunday.   Of the dozen or so staff outside BBB, about 2 or 3 were customers.  

Another wasted high season this year. Very sad.