macaroni21

Anyone remember the Thai classical dancer?

Here's hoping some old-timers can help me out here. Over the weekend, some friends and I were reminiscing about old times in the gogo bars of Bangkok. We recalled the really strange item on a bar's progamme where, in between displays of male flesh, often accompanied by foam, fire, glow paint and baptismal glory (hurray!), an elderly lady would appear, dressed in traditional silk finery, to perform a classical dance.

My friends and I couldn't agree which bar it was that had this item. Anyone remember?

One of us said she -- well into her seventies -- was an aunt of the bar owner and there was no way the owner could ask her to retire, however risible the mismatch of her dance was to gogo entertainment. Don't know whether there was any truth to that.

I remember seeing that performance, but what I understood was that she was not an actual woman, but an old ladyboy who got the job from a kathoey mamasan who had been a bit of a protegee of her in her younger days, and felt sorry for her.

I believe her name was "Auntie Nong" - there was an interview with her in this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ladyboys-Secret-World-Thailands-Gender/dp/190537948X

She was indeed a ladyboy and profiled in the book to which @forrestreid has helpfully posted a link. She performed in many different bars over the years. I first saw her at Super Lex Matsuda around the turn of the century. The mamasan at the time, Khun Phet, herself a ladyboy, told me a bit of her background but I didn't get the deeper story until I read the book. I used to tip Auntie Nong wherever I happened to see her. As for Super Lex Matsuda, it was one of my fave bars in those days. I always thought it went downhill after Khun Phet left, as did Mustache House, which she had managed before she moved to SLM. She wasn't pushy, was good company if you wanted her to be, knew everything about every boy, and kept the place in good order. She was inventive, too. During one of the Thai Rak Thai morality campaigns when no nudity was allowed, she got the boys to show off their more respectable talents. I'll never forget one boy getting up and doing a mor lam number accapella. It was hauntingly beautiful and got a long spell of applause from the other boys. Auntie Nong also performed. Then I took a boy home and got demolished like I never had before. An unforgettable night for several reasons!