reader

3 more flying farangs

From Pattaya News

A 64-year-old foreign man, believed to be an expat, has been pronounced dead last night (January 11th) after falling from a condominium in Jomtien.

Captian Sanan Kotanon from the Pattaya City Police was notified of the incident at 9:00 P.M. at a condominium in Soi 7 Jomtien. The name of the condominium was withheld pending a full investigation by Pattaya police.

Police, emergency responders, and The Pattaya News arrived at the scene to find the body of the foreign man who was identified by police as a 64-year-old Norwegian. He had landed on an awning on the 2nd floor. His name was withheld by TPN media pending notification of his family and embassy expected to be later this morning.

He was found shirtless and wearing only shorts. He had suffered severe skull injuries and three cut wounds were found on his left wrist, likely inflicted before the fall according to police.

According to Captain Sanan, the man lived alone on the 5th floor of the condominium. No signs of a struggle or other occupants were found in the room. A box cutter was found on the bed. No notes were found in the room.

A 72-year-old foreign man, believed to be an expat, has been pronounced dead (January 7th) after falling from a central Pattaya condominium.

The incident took place just before midnight in Central Pattaya on the 16th floor of a well-known local condominium and was responded to by Pattaya Police Col. Kulchat Kulchai, Sawang Boriboon rescue services, and TPN media. The name of the condo was withheld pending a full investigation by Pattaya police.

A Russian man was found dead after he apparently jumped from the Pattaya City Police Station early this morning (January 5th), 2022.

The Pattaya City Police was notified of the incident just past 2:00 A.M. near a power pole and exchange booth directly in front of the Pattaya City Police Station on Soi 9 on Beach Road.

They and The Pattaya News arrived at the scene to find a deceased male who was identified by police as a Russian male national, aged 38, lying on the ground with severe injuries from his fall.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/05/russian-man-found-dead-after-apparently-jumping-from-the-pattaya-police-station-roof-overnight/

I find it curious how jumping off buildings is the preferred method of "suicide" for farang in Thailand, but not at home.   

Just to be on the safe side, I'll ensure no one has known financial incentives for my suicide.

34 minutes ago, vinapu said:

wait for that high-speed rail coming to Pattaya as promised

Expect lots of big concrete railway stations and the same 4 hour rail trip to Bangkok.

I am afraid of heights. I always told my family if I die from suicide by jumping off a building, it was NOT me. I don't even go out on the balcony. Now, I might die of a heart attack trying to go to the balcony, but the jump itself would be impossible.

That being said, I have seen jumps in Pattaya out of the corner of my eye. I never thought that would be something I would see.

14 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

I am afraid of heights. I always told my family if I die from suicide by jumping off a building, it was NOT me. I don't even go out on the balcony. Now, I might die of a heart attack trying to go to the balcony, but the jump itself would be impossible.

The height of the balcony railing plays a significant role in accidental falls. I've noticed that many older buildings, and even some newer ones, have balconies that don't meet recommended building code of 42 inches (107 cm).

Some areas and buildings require a deck railing height of 42 inches above deck surface

This photo illustrates a man leaning against a railing that appears to be constructed at the minimum recommended height. His center of gravity is well below the railing, minimizing accidental falls.

194 Man Leaning Rail Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock ...