reader

Govt mulls resuming 'Test & Go"

Although I prefer to regain my wellness in Bangkok, I think this proposal is a worthy idea. Now if authorities can only come to realize that the best way to make it a reality is to make Thailand accessible as it was in 2019.

'Wellness' Sandbox touted

The government is set to promote Hua Hin and Cha-am as Thailand's “Wellness Sandbox” to attract health-conscious tourists from around the world.

Government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana said on Friday that the Centre for Economic Situation Administration (Cesa) approved in principle the Tourism Authority of Thailand’s (TAT) proposal to promote the "Thailand Wellness Sandbox" for Hua Hin district of Prachuap Khiri Khan and Cha-am district of Phetchaburi.

According to the spokesman, Hua Hin and Cha-am will be touted as destinations for wellness tourism targeting tourists from neighbouring countries in Asean as well as from Europe, the Middle East, the United States and Canada.

Health-related products and services in both districts will be highlighted, along with the "Thailand Riviera" campaign to attract visitors to coastal destinations in the South, Mr Thanakorn said.

Efforts will be made to ensure tourists receive international-standard services, he said.

Cesa also instructed TAT to consider expanding wellness promotion to other regions, Mr Thanakorn said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2251671/government-to-plug-wellness-sandbox

19 hours ago, reader said:

The revamped Test & Go entry scheme now requires overseas arrivals to stay at an approved hotel on day 1 and again on day 5 of their stay – and to take a PCR test on each day. They must Netflix and chill in their hotel rooms after each test, until they receive a negative result.

Another hilarious decision of the Thai government. I will stay away from Thailand till all this madness is over.

53 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

Another hilarious decision of the Thai government. I will stay away from Thailand till all this madness is over.

I think this ranks at the top of the list as the most stupid restriction of the lot. Test and go, then turn yourself in again for one day ?

Well, since they are past the peak season and have a ridiculous policy, there will be very few arrivals. Most will wait for more sensible policies.

1 hour ago, z909 said:

I think this ranks at the top of the list as the most stupid restriction of the lot. Test and go, then turn yourself in again for one day ?

Well, since they are past the peak season and have a ridiculous policy, there will be very few arrivals. Most will wait for more sensible policies.

628p3j.jpg

I'm sticking to my Phuket sandbox plans, I feel like a day 5 test in Bangkok is too high a risk for me.

Given the current restrictions toward international arrivals (especially the ridiculous second pcr test), I'll be among those postponing my next trip (ticketed in early February) for several months.

When you consider that Thailand is receiving fully vaccinated and tested tourists before they even land in the country, the additional testing requirements constitute unnecessary anxiety and expense. I'd be spending the first 5-6 days (after the first test) primarily worrying if I'm going to test positive on the second. That's not a formula for a pleasant stay.

The hodgepodge of new hoops you have to jump through just to get the pass should be sufficient as long as I observe the same protocols expected of Thai citizens when out in public. The imposition of the second test could find the visitor restricted to a quarantine hotel room--or some other facility--for 10 days. Even if my visa was extended (as described in the article below), I still may be facing additional change fees or a different fare basis depending on conditions at the time.

===========================

Phuket Immigration visiting those in Hotel Isolation to extend visas

After the story went viral of a man being charged for an overstay because he was locked in Hotel Isolation after testing positive for Covid-19, Phuket is taking action. The Immigration Chief of Phuket is sending staff around to local hotels to make sure that people caught in a 10-day Hotel Isolation do not have their visas expire.

If a traveller tests positive for Covid-19 while in Thailand, they are subject to a mandatory isolation period of 10 days, but what if their immigration stamp ends in 5? Authorities tout their new plan as a proactive step to keep people on the right side of the law, by offering this convenience they say builds trust and shows that Phuket is taking care of their tourists.

The immigration Chief explained that Phuket is remaining vigilant against the spreading Omicron variant throughout the world. He also conceded that this abundance of caution can create difficult situations and inconveniences for people travelling, especially if they catch the virus while on holiday here.

“During the second test on Day 5 or Day 6, many tourists are testing positive. Therefore, they have to be brought under the treatment process according to public health measures, either in ‘Hotel Quarantine’ or ‘High-Risk Contact’ quarantine. But during the quarantine period, the tourist visa period may be nearing its expiration and the tourists are unable to travel to extend the visa by themselves. Therefore, Phuket Immigration is proactive in providing visa extension services, which is convenient for tourists by coordinating with accommodation operators where tourists have been detained for a period of one week.”

He said that the new hotel visit initiative from immigration will help tourists staying in over 200 properties on the island make sure that their visas are in good standing. He also observed that it was a good chance for officials to answer any questions and explain Covid-19 safety measures, something authorities were out in force in tourist hotspots doing over the past two nights.

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-immigration-visiting-those-in-hotel-isolation-to-extend-visas

========================================

The following quote from the above article poses more questions than it answers:

"“During the second test on Day 5 or Day 6, many tourists are testing positive."

How many is many? 5, 50, 500?

13 minutes ago, reader said:

The Immigration Chief of Phuket is sending staff around to local hotels to make sure that people caught in a 10-day Hotel Isolation do not have their visas expire.

Such a complex solution for a simple issue. Couldnt they just waived the overstay charge instead if u show the hotel isolation order? 

19 minutes ago, reader said:

Phuket Immigration visiting those in Hotel Isolation to extend visas

After the story went viral of a man being charged for an overstay because he was locked in Hotel Isolation after testing positive for Covid-19, Phuket is taking action. The Immigration Chief of Phuket is sending staff around to local hotels to make sure that people caught in a 10-day Hotel Isolation do not have their visas expire.

If a traveller tests positive for Covid-19 while in Thailand, they are subject to a mandatory isolation period of 10 days, but what if their immigration stamp ends in 5?

at least that shows oxygen is flowing to some brains in charge

7 minutes ago, spoon said:

Such a complex solution for a simple issue. Couldn't they just waived the overstay charge instead if u show the hotel isolation order? 

that's too much oxygen

on more serious note such decision perhaps can be done only on central government order .

When I go to my local mall at every entrance there are 2 security guards behind the table who are asking every arrival

" do you have any covid symptoms? " .

Would somebody taking serious view of covid go to the mall with symptoms? Will covid deniers with symptoms answer ' yes, I do" ?

I every world's corner there are to say the least weird ideas of fighting that virus

5 hours ago, spoon said:

Such a complex solution for a simple issue. Couldnt they just waived the overstay charge instead if u show the hotel isolation order? 

Immigration are clueless.  For example, rather than have software verify your accommodation for visa extensions, someone checks it on their computer and prints out a slip to confirm the accomodation.   The person granting the 30 day extension checks the print out manually!!!!! 

No clue at all about process automation.

As for the overstay, well if quarantine is 10 days, surely they can allow everyone 11 days overstay, no question asked?

3 hours ago, Boy69 said:

Don't try to look for logic in Thai authorities decisions you won't find it.

I don't need to look at Thais.

We have now minus 15 Celsius and city bus had open window this morning so upon boarding promptly  I closed it only to be chided by the driver that 'We have now open window policy to improve ventilation" , I'm kidding you not !!!

Some idiot who probably never took the bus since finishing university ordered it , thinking that  freezing to death saves us from Covid.

I'm still shocked that driver was so stupid too instead of keeping quiet, after all I took only three stops and he is inside for the whole shift.

No, I don't live in some operetta city or country. I'm telling you , whole world is getting stupid over covid.

15 hours ago, vinapu said:

I don't need to look at Thais.

We have now minus 15 Celsius and city bus had open window this morning so upon boarding promptly  I closed it only to be chided by the driver that 'We have now open window policy to improve ventilation" , I'm kidding you not !!!

Some idiot who probably never took the bus since finishing university ordered it , thinking that  freezing to death saves us from Covid.

I'm still shocked that driver was so stupid too instead of keeping quiet, after all I took only three stops and he is inside for the whole shift.

No, I don't live in some operetta city or country. I'm telling you , whole world is getting stupid over covid.

It seems that not only the Covid is contagious but Governments stupidity as well...

16 hours ago, vinapu said:

I'm telling you , whole world is getting stupid over covid.

It certainly seems that way.

From Chanel News Asia

One surrendered Hong Kong hamster tests COVID positive as city lockdown grows

HONG KONG: Hong Kong authorities said on Sunday (Jan 23) one hamster surrendered to authorities by pet owners had tested positive for COVID-19 and that more than 2,200 hamsters had been culled as the city struggled to contain an outbreak.

On Tuesday, officials ordered the killing of hamsters from dozens of pet shops after tracing a coronavirus outbreak to a worker at a shop and asked people to surrender any bought on or after Dec 22.

While a handful of hamsters had already tested positive for the virus, this latest case is the first involving a hamster in the care of a pet-owner that had tested positive.

Despite a public outcry against the hamster crackdown, authorities urged pet-owners to continue to hand over their tiny furry pets given burgeoning health risks.

"(The government) strongly advises members of the public again to surrender ... as soon as possible their hamsters purchased in local pet shops on or after December 22, 2021 for humane dispatch," the government said in a statement.

As of Jan 22, a total of 2,512 animals, including 2,229 hamsters, had been "humanely dispatched" according to a government statement.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/surrendered-hong-kong-hamster-covid-19-positive-lockdown-2454076

From Tourism Authority of Thailand

UPDATED! TEST & GO scheme resumed from 1 February 2022

From 1 February, 2022, fully vaccinated travellers from any country around the world can apply for a TEST & GO Thailand Pass up to 60 days in advance.

Eligible travellers
• Thai citizens.
• Foreign travellers, including but not limited to diplomats, guests of the government, Thai work permit holders, students and their family, and patients seeking medical treatment.

Eligible countries
All countries/territories.

Pre-Arrival Requirements

All travellers must have the following documents for entering Thailand:

1. A Thailand Pass, which can be applied via https://tp.consular.go.th/. *The system will reopen for new TEST & GO applications from 1 February, 2022 (09.00 Hrs. Thailand Time)
  2. A Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected issued no more than 72 hours before travelling.
    • Travellers under 6 years of age, travelling with parents with a negative RT-PCR test result within 72 hours before travelling, are not required to have a pre-arrival negative RT-PCR test result and can have a saliva test when entering the Kingdom.
    • For arrivals by water, everyone on board the vessels must have a medical certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected within the officially specified time frame. Anyone on aboard with a history of COVID-19 infection within a period between 14-90 days must have a medical certificate of recovery.
  3. An insurance policy with coverage no less than US$50,000.
    • Thais and foreign expatriates under Thailand’s national healthcare coverage are exempt from this requirement.
  4. A proof of prepayment for 2 separate nights of accommodation at government-approved hotel/s, such as, SHA Extra Plus (SHA++), AQ, OQ, or AHQ on Day 1 and Day 5, and the expenses for 2 RT-PCR tests on Day 1 and Day 5. The prepayment for Day 1 must include an accommodation, a test and a prearranged transfer from the airport to the hotel. *Travellers can book 2 different hotels for the accommodation on Day 1 and Day 5. However, on both Day 1 and Day 5, they must stay within the room for the RT-PCR test result.
  5. A Certificate of COVID-19 Vaccination/Recovery
    • Everyone 18 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 with an approved vaccine at least 14 days before travelling to Thailand.
    • Travellers 12-17 years of age travelling to Thailand unaccompanied must get vaccinated with at least 1 dose of an approved vaccine. Those travelling with parents are exempt from this requirement.
    • Travellers 6-11 years of age, travelling with parents, are exempt from this requirement.
    • For arrivals by water, everyone on board must be fully vaccinated. This is except for travellers under 18 years of age, travelling with parents or guardians.
    • Travellers with a history of COVID-19 infection who have recovered by medical treatment, and travellers who have received at least 1 dose of an approved vaccine after post-infection must have a certificate of COVID-19 recovery.

All travellers must undergo ‘exit screening’ at the point of departure, i.e., at the airline check-in counter and present the required documents to the person-in-charge to carry out the checks.

On-Arrival Requirements / During the Stay

1. All travellers must undergo ‘entry screening’, including body temperature check at the point of entry.
  2. Present the required documents to the Immigration/Health Control officer to carry out the checks, then proceed through the Immigration procedures.
  3. Proceed to the prearranged accommodation or medical facility to undergo the first RT-PCR test. The trip must be by a prearranged vehicle on a sealed route. Then, all travellers must wait for the test result within the hotel only. Travellers under 6 years of age, travelling with parents, can have a saliva test.
    • If testing negative for COVID-19, travellers are free to go anywhere in Thailand. However, they must stay at their prepaid accommodation on Day 5 and undergo their second COVID-19 test using the RT-PCR technique (they must stay within the room for the RT-PCR test result.) The second test can also be taken when the travellers experience respiratory symptoms.
    • Travellers whose test result returns as positive will be referred for appropriate medical treatment in accordance with Thailand’s Communicable Diseases Act B.E. 2558 (2015). The expenses must be covered by the required insurance for foreign travellers, or national healthcare coverage for Thais and eligible foreign expatriates.
      • Pending on their conditions, they may be medically advised to receive treatment in either hospital hotel isolation or community isolation.
      • During receiving the medical treatment – at least 10 days, they must remain in their accommodation only. They should not leave their accommodation unless utmost necessary, and must notify the Communicable Disease Control officer in-charge.
      • After having recovered from COVID-19, they will receive a medical certificate of recovery.
  4. While in Thailand, travellers are advised to strictly follow standard, good personal hygiene practices; such as, wear a mask in public, maintain hand hygiene (washing with soap and water or using hand sanitizer), and keep physical distance of at least 1 metre from others.
    • Travellers who are experiencing COVID-like symptoms should get tested. If testing positive they must get an appropriate medical treatment. Those with COVID-19 testing appointment must get tested.
  5. All travellers must download and install the MorChana application, and set it on at all times for the COVID-19 precautionary measures and to record the result on Day 5-6 in the application.

Meanwhile, travellers who have applied/obtained their Thailand Pass QR code before 22 December, 2021, with scheduled arrival dates in Thailand from 24 December, 2021, onwards, are still required to undergo their second COVID-19 test using the RT-PCR technique at government-designated facilities on Day 5-6 of their stay in Thailand, or when they experience respiratory symptoms (no additional cost).

Guidelines for Domestic/International Departure

For domestic departure, travellers must show proof that they have received a negative result for their RT-PCR test.

For international departure, it is the responsibility of travellers or their organisations to make sure that the travellers meet the requirements of their specific international destination regardless of the point of departure.

Kindly note the information is to serve as reference only. It is especially important to check in regularly on www.tatnews.org to stay current on what remains a very fluid and fast changing situation.

https://www.tatnews.org/2022/01/thailand-reopening-exemption-from-quarantine-test-go/

4 hours ago, reader said:

UPDATED! TEST & GO scheme resumed from 1 February 2022

From 1 February, 2022, fully vaccinated travellers from any country around the world can apply for a TEST & GO Thailand Pass up to 60 days in advance.

so it looks it's back to what it was plus additional day 5 hotel and testing, nuisance, extra expense but hardly deterrent  off going IMHO but everybody needs to assess his own circumstances and tolerance for a risk 

The MAJOR risque seems to be-as I read more mainstream general visit-Thai fora (mostly farang male and Thai lady) that quite a few people were caught and even taken under Thai Royal Police custody out of their place/HTL as it was found-days after arrival!-that in the plane they arrived in was found someone tested positive and sitting too close by. With this omicron so much more infective the chances of encountering that must be much greater!

As for Thai immigration not being able to just scrap this overtime-fine: do you now still have to learn that NOONE ever in a minor position anywhere in LoS will be allowed to scrap any fee/fine/amount to pay-this will open all doors to gross loss of income and embezzlement by such people claiming they scrapped it but put in their own pocket. Only the BoysinBrown manage their own shop for that. Thats quite logical Thai logic!

From Bangkok Post

More Covid-19 insurance options for foreign tourists

Foreign tourists are likely to have more insurance options to cover hospitel and hotel isolation expenses in Thailand as the government is trying to solve the problem of Covid-infected tourists refusing to pay for medication or running away from hotels.

Yuthasak Supasorn, Tourism Authority of Thailand governor, said the government is discussing with the Office of the Insurance Commission (OIC) offering Covid-19 insurance options for vaccinated tourists whose travel insurance does not cover medical expenditure for hospitels or hotel isolation for mild asymptomatic cases.

A new ruling from the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) last week stipulated that if a tourist's insurance doesn't cover all medical expenses for Covid-19 infection, they are responsible for such expenditure themselves.

Mr Yuthasak said this means both hotels who let guests slip through the monitoring process and guests who refuse to pay their medical expenses will face legal action.

The CCSA subcommittee still needs to discuss in detail insurance options and punishment.

In principle, insurance premiums might start from 800 baht per person to cover the hotel isolation cost, which starts from 30,000 baht, he said.

"We previously sought cooperation from hotels to look after guests during the health screening process. The new rule mandates strict compliance with health measures. Hotels cannot be careless about the process or they risk being delisted from Thailand Pass registration, rendering them unable to welcome any inbound guests," said Mr Yuthasak.

During the past few months of the Test & Go scheme, there were several reports about infected tourists who went missing from hotels.

Some hotel guests refused to be taken to hospitals because they were worried about expenses, said Marisa Sukosol Nunbhakdi, president of the Thai Hotels Association (THA).

According to reports from hotels, the main problems were insufficient hospital beds and high medical expenditure at hospitals.

Some tourists were also worried their insurance claims might be rejected because their policies don't cover medical treatment in hospitels or hotel isolation, though these have become popular options for asymptomatic patients in Thailand.

"Insurance options will help cover expenditure in case tourists become infected with Covid-19 or have high-risk contact that requires isolation," she said.

With hotel operations during the pandemic so challenging because of higher costs associated with hiring more staff for extra health checks at their properties, THA disagrees with punishments for hotels in the new CCSA ruling.

This rule will hurt small operators that have tight operational budgets and cannot afford to increase manpower immediately, unlike larger hoteliers, said Mrs Marisa.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2252343/more-covid-19-insurance-options-for-foreign-tourists

Every country will eventually need to realise that COVID is endemic and stop unnecessary restrictions.

Once that happens, the quarantine cost problem will mostly solve itself.

No unnecessary quarantine = no unnecessary quarantine costs.

From Ricardbarrow.com

There were 2,705 international arrivals in Phuket yesterday on 18 flights. Out of the 64,616 arrivals during January, 4.35% tested positive. Yesterday, 5 Test & Go people and 120 Sandbox people tested positive during their 1st and 2nd Covid tests.