reader

Govt mulls resuming 'Test & Go"

As Vinapu observed, the decision whether to travel to Thailand under the revised Test and Go policy needs to be made on an individual basis. What is acceptable to one may be unacceptable to another due to a wide array of factors ranging from health. affordability, time constraints and simply uncertainty itself.

In my own case, my biggest concern is acquiring the Omicron virus between the first and second shot. However, it's not that I anticipate serious symptoms--if there even are any symptoms--will be debilitating, it's the 10-days of enforced isolation that would follow.

Also, I'm ticketed for departure on Feb. 7. Since  I can't apply for the pass until Feb. 1, there's a high probability it would not get approved in time. In that scenario, I lose my investment in two quarantine hotel reservations and insurance premium.

Although I'm retired and have more flexibility, those using vacation time would be more than a little inconvenienced.

I think z909's "No unnecessary quarantine = no unnecessary quarantine costs" pretty much sums it up. 

=================================================

17 minutes ago, vinapu said:

on Agoda when  doing search you will find  "Entry to Thailand button"  and when you click it three options appear , one of them "Thailand Pass", when you click it list of hotels available will appear, at this time very limited though after  suspension of Test and Go program.

I spent some time yesterday looking for ASQ hotels and found the same thing with Agoda and other sites (i.e., Expedia, Booking.com). Many of the hotels that were offering "Test-and-Go" options under the original version don't currently appear. This may change in coming days as more hotels populate the consolidated booking sites.  You need to be very cautious when booking on line. Fewer hotels seem to offer cancellation options.

If you have specific hotels in mind, calling or emailing them directly may be your best bet.

2 hours ago, reader said:

Also, I'm ticketed for departure on Feb. 7. Since  I can't apply for the pass until Feb. 1, there's a high probability it would not get approved in time. In that scenario, I lose my investment in two quarantine hotel reservations and insurance premium.

in, God forbid, such a case I'd be trying to contact hotels , they may show flexibility with arrangements as well as extending check-out and check-in (my own experience   ) 

This year. I'm hoping the hoops you have to jump through will be clear in Thailand. Much less clear that the Philippines will be doable, but probably.

I'm just hoping that we get off the Omicron spike and I can catch a travel window. I'm not interested if I have to do a long quarantine.

11 hours ago, Mateo_37 said:

Can anybody help me where can I find the list of hotels (Pattaya and Bangkok) that will fulfill the requirements for new Test&Go rules? Thanks a lot in advance :). Thanks to Vinapu's advise, I decided not to cancel my vacation in February :D.

https://www.shathailand.com/list/Pattaya/

This looks to be an incomplete list but might help.

4 hours ago, caeron said:

This year. I'm hoping the hoops you have to jump through will be clear in Thailand. Much less clear that the Philippines will be doable, but probably.

I'm just hoping that we get off the Omicron spike and I can catch a travel window. I'm not interested if I have to do a long quarantine.

if air clears it's great idea but if not trying to visit more than one country may be nerve wrecking experience.

In Dec I was taking three different airlines to get to BKK connecting through two different countries and while it worked,  it was clear  that every country including my own and Thailand and every airline had  bit different idea of what it's important and what is not , logistics of trying to comply were bit  burdensome

11 hours ago, caeron said:

I'm thinking of adding a Philippine leg to my next trip, so hopefully by march-ish, things will be clear enough that proper plans can be made.

Funny you should mention the Philippines. Just a few days ago, someone (work-related) was mentioning similar hopes, but was disappointed when he fould out that besides the usual pre-flight PCR test, the visitor is to be quarantined until anther PCR test on the 5th day of quarantine gives a negative result. And even then, he told me, there would need to be home quarantine for 2 or 3 more days. 

I haven't researched this myself but merely reporting what I heard. Nor have I any idea how home quarantine is to be enforced.

I see you're hoping for rules to be looser by March, but somehow I doubt it. This story 5 days ago from Bloomberg says it is now Southeast Asia's worst Omicron surge. This will take tme to come down. It also puts you at risk for failing the PCR tests when moving on to Thailand.

I guess we'll see. Omicron spiked really fast elsewhere and then fell off quickly. It is doing that here in the US now as far as I can tell, the trend is now down nationwide.

My trainer whose normal job is in ER said they broke new records last week here in Oregon at his hospital, so I think Omicron is peaking here now.

I am hopeful, if for no other reason than I've spent so much time in despair at the stupidity of my fellow americans, that I've decided "fuck it. Let the idiots die, I'm moving on. I'm vaxxed and boosted. If they think they can win a macho battle with a virus, it's just improving the gene pool."

I was thinking if I did this, I'd probably hit Thailand first, so that if I needed to, I could just abandon that leg of the trip.

From Bangkok Post

Hospital dean predicts end to pandemic

The world could be approaching the end of the Covid-19 pandemic later this year, as evidenced by the rapid-spreading but less-severe Omicron variant, according to the dean of the Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital.

Prof Dr Prasit Watanapa said on Tuesday the spread of Omicron would result in the majority of people surviving an infection with the virus and developing immunity.

"The fast-spreading Omicron will replace the more severe Delta variant and this indicates that we are in the latter period of the Covid-19 pandemic," he said.

"If the majority of the world's population has Covid-19 and they survive and develop immunity, this will lead to an end of the Covid-19 pandemic, because the global population will have enough immunity, both through vaccination and an infection that is not severe," Prof Prasit said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2253215/hospital-dean-predicts-end-to-pandemic

On 1/24/2022 at 11:46 PM, vinapu said:

in, God forbid, such a case I'd be trying to contact hotels , they may show flexibility with arrangements as well as extending check-out and check-in (my own experience   ) 

Hyatt Bangkok allow me to cancel the booking even though it states that no cancellation is allowed after I email them and of cos showing them the TP rejection.

Years ago when there is a huge protest, Thai Airways also allow me to cancel my non-cancellation ticket after I called them.

Something I like about Thailand is that they are willing to make things happen unless it is beyond their ability.  

On 1/24/2022 at 9:23 PM, reader said:

Although I'm retired and have more flexibility, those using vacation time would be more than a little inconvenienced.

I'm planning for departure on 4th Feb.  I'm taking a gamble on this.  Wish me luck!

** I'm waiting for Royal Gazette to release tomorrow (hopefully) so that I can start my bookings.

1 hour ago, starbum said:

I'm planning for departure on 4th Feb.  I'm taking a gamble on this.  Wish me luck!

** I'm waiting for Royal Gazette to release tomorrow (hopefully) so that I can start my bookings.

I was in a similar position. Only a week between applying for the Thai Pass and my flight date. After two or three days had passed I had only the acknowledgement I was getting seriously worried.

I then found this website https://asq.in.th/thailand-pass?tpOpen=1&rushIt who promise you the pass in 6 to 48 hours. Or a refund.

I paid up and got the pass in an hour!

Recomended.

38 minutes ago, spoon said:

Is it true that the 5th day testing and quarantine doesnt apply if your trip is shorter than 5 days? And by extension, if your trip is within 5-7 days, u cab use the pcr test for your pre-departure pcr returning home too? 

Yes for the 1st question. I believe the answer is yes to your 2nd question depending how your country's requirements.

From Pattaya Mail

Thailand Covid visa extensions

By Barry Kenyon

Chonburi Immigration is confirming this morning, Wednesday 26 January, that visa extensions based on the Covid discretion are now restricted. Eligible foreigners are those who originally entered the country on a 60 days tourist visa, granted by a Thai diplomatic post abroad, or with 30 days visa exempt stamped at Bangkok airport.

Holders of non-immigrant visas of any kind cannot now extend or renew their stay by using the Covid route. Obviously, they can continue to obtain extensions of stay if they qualify under the rules of that non-immigrant visa. For example, holders of non-immigrant visas based on retirement can continue to obtain their annual extensions provided they have the necessary bank or embassy documentation as in the past.

Holders of non-immigrant visas of any kind cannot now extend or renew their stay by using the Covid route. Obviously, they can continue to obtain extensions of stay if they qualify under the rules of that non-immigrant visa. For example, holders of non-immigrant visas based on retirement can continue to obtain their annual extensions provided they have the necessary bank or embassy documentation as in the past.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/confirmatory-updates-for-thailand-covid-visa-extensions-387454

==============================

From Richardbarrow.com

Many tourists cancelled plans to visit Koh Samet in Rayong after authorities imposed a compulsory 330 baht fee to do an ATK test. Local businesses are pleading for the rule to be revoked before the tourism industry is further damaged

51 minutes ago, reader said:

Many tourists cancelled plans to visit Koh Samet in Rayong after authorities imposed a compulsory 330 baht fee to do an ATK test. Local businesses are pleading for the rule to be revoked before the tourism industry is further damaged

This is excellent news.  If an island introduces stupid rules, tourists will stay away and eventually they might learn to set reasonable rules. 

Meanwhile, Thailand allows tourists on 60 day visas to get an extra 30 days, then 60 on top of that.  Total 120.

It seems tourists on 90 day visas cannot get any extension of 30 or 60 days.   A somewhat arbitrary difference that will reduce tourism revenue.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) today (28 Jan.) issued revised information about the Test-and-Go application process.

TEST & GO scheme resumed from 1 February 2022

Pre-Arrival Requirements

All travellers must have the following documents for entering Thailand:

1. A Thailand Pass, which can be applied via https://tp.consular.go.th/. *The system will reopen for new TEST & GO applications from 1 February, 2022 (09.00 Hrs. Thailand Time)
  2. A Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected issued no more than 72 hours before travelling.
    • Travellers under 6 years of age, travelling with parents with a negative RT-PCR test result within 72 hours before travelling, are not required to have a pre-arrival negative RT-PCR test result and can have a saliva test when entering the Kingdom.
    • For arrivals by water, everyone on board the vessels must have a medical certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected within the officially specified time frame. Anyone on aboard with a history of COVID-19 infection within a period between 14-90 days must have a medical certificate of recovery.
  3. An insurance policy with coverage no less than US$50,000. TAT recommends that travellers make sure to check the small print of any COVID-19 insurance policy before purchasing. Ultimately, the policy should cover the cost of treatment and other medical expenses associated with being infected with COVID-19, including in-patient hospitalisation. The policy should also cover the whole duration that travellers are planning to stay in Thailand.
    • Thais and foreign expatriates under Thailand’s national healthcare coverage are exempt from this requirement.
  4. A proof of prepayment for 2 separate nights of accommodation at government-approved hotel/s, such as, SHA Extra Plus (SHA++), AQ, OQ, or AHQ on Day 1 and Day 5, and the expenses for 2 RT-PCR tests on Day 1 and Day 5. The prepayment for Day 1 must include an accommodation, a test and a prearranged transfer from the airport to the hotel. *Travellers can book 2 different hotels for the accommodation on Day 1 and Day 5. However, on both Day 1 and Day 5, they must stay within the room for the RT-PCR test result. The second RT-PCR test will not be required if the traveller’s length of stay is less than 5 nights, or his/her scheduled international departure date out of Thailand is on Day 5 or before. For example if the traveller plans to stay in Thailand for 3 days, then he/she does not have to undergo the second RT-PCR test, but he/she must leave for another country immediately. However, whether the traveller will be required to take another RT-PCR test depend on the airline and the final international destination.
  5. A Certificate of COVID-19 Vaccination/Recovery
    • Everyone 18 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 with an approved vaccine at least 14 days before travelling to Thailand.
    • Travellers 12-17 years of age travelling to Thailand unaccompanied must get vaccinated with at least 1 dose of an approved vaccine. Those travelling with parents are exempt from this requirement.
    • Travellers 6-11 years of age, travelling with parents, are exempt from this requirement.
    • For arrivals by water, everyone on board must be fully vaccinated. This is except for travellers under 18 years of age, travelling with parents or guardians.
    • Travellers with a history of COVID-19 infection who have recovered by medical treatment, and travellers who have received at least 1 dose of an approved vaccine after post-infection must have a certificate of COVID-19 recovery.

All travellers must undergo ‘exit screening’ at the point of departure, i.e., at the airline check-in counter and present the required documents to the person-in-charge to carry out the checks.

On-Arrival Requirements / During the Stay

Kindly note that if you arrive during 00.01-18.00 Hrs., the day is Day 1. If you arrive during 18.01-00.00 Hrs., the day after is Day 1.

1. All travellers must undergo ‘entry screening’, including body temperature check at the point of entry.
  2. Present the required documents to the Immigration/Health Control officer to carry out the checks, then proceed through the Immigration procedures.
  3. Proceed to the prearranged accommodation or medical facility to undergo the first RT-PCR test. The trip must be by a prearranged vehicle on a sealed route. Then, all travellers must wait for the test result within the hotel only. Travellers under 6 years of age, travelling with parents, can have a saliva test.
    • If testing negative for COVID-19, travellers are free to go anywhere in Thailand. However, they must stay at their prepaid accommodation on Day 5 and undergo their second COVID-19 test using the RT-PCR technique (they must stay within the room for the RT-PCR test result.) The second test can also be taken when the travellers experience respiratory symptoms.
    • Travellers whose test result returns as positive will be referred for appropriate medical treatment in accordance with Thailand’s Communicable Diseases Act B.E. 2558 (2015). The expenses must be covered by the required insurance for foreign travellers, or national healthcare coverage for Thais and eligible foreign expatriates. TAT recommends that travellers make sure to check the small print of any COVID-19 insurance policy before purchasing. Ultimately, the policy should cover the cost of treatment and other medical expenses associated with being infected with COVID-19, including in-patient hospitalisation. The policy should also cover the whole duration that travellers are planning to stay in Thailand.
      • Pending on their conditions, they may be medically advised to receive treatment in either hospital hotel isolation or community isolation.
      • During receiving the medical treatment – at least 10 days, they must remain in their accommodation only. They should not leave their accommodation unless utmost necessary, and must notify the Communicable Disease Control officer in-charge.
      • After having recovered from COVID-19, they will receive a medical certificate of recovery.
  4. While in Thailand, travellers are advised to strictly follow standard, good personal hygiene practices; such as, wear a mask in public, maintain hand hygiene (washing with soap and water or using hand sanitizer), and keep physical distance of at least 1 metre from others.
    • Travellers who are experiencing COVID-like symptoms should get tested. If testing positive they must get an appropriate medical treatment. Those with COVID-19 testing appointment must get tested.
  5. All travellers must download and install the MorChana application, and set it on at all times for the COVID-19 precautionary measures and to record the result on Day 5-6 in the application.

Meanwhile, travellers who have applied/obtained their Thailand Pass QR code before 22 December, 2021, with scheduled arrival dates in Thailand from 24 December, 2021, onwards, are still required to undergo their second COVID-19 test using the RT-PCR technique at government-designated facilities on Day 5-6 of their stay in Thailand, or when they experience respiratory symptoms (no additional cost).

Guidelines for Domestic/International Departure

For domestic departure, travellers must show proof that they have received a negative result for their RT-PCR test.

For international departure, it is the responsibility of travellers or their organisations to make sure that the travellers meet the requirements of their specific international destination regardless of the point of departure.

Kindly note the information is to serve as reference only. It is especially important to check in regularly on www.tatnews.org to stay current on what remains a very fluid and fast changing situation.

https://www.tatnews.org/2022/01/thailand-reopening-exemption-from-quarantine-test-go

On 1/24/2022 at 4:24 PM, caeron said:

I'm thinking of adding a Philippine leg to my next trip, so hopefully by march-ish, things will be clear enough that proper plans can be made.

Just for information, I just read that the Philippines will reopen for vaccinated tourists starting Feb 10. Only requirement is pre departure PCR test. No quarantine any longer.

I hope Thailand follows similar conditions soon. Even just back to the one day hotel quarantine would be more attractive.

9 hours ago, reader said:

On-Arrival Requirements / During the Stay

Kindly note that if you arrive during 00.01-18.00 Hrs., the day is Day 1. If you arrive during 18.01-00.00 Hrs., the day after is Day 1.

I wonder when they note this time, is it 18:00 when your flight lands, or 18:00 when you get to the immigration officer?

My flight is scheduled to land at 17:15... I might be able to rush to immigration because I'll be in business so departing the plane first. Any minor delay now means I have to change 2nd test appointment, change my domestic flight from HKT to BKK, extend my hotel stay, and reduce my other hotel stay.

I wish they would simplify 'test and go' again, it seems like they're just adding rules for the sake of looking like they're doing something.

10 minutes ago, vaughn said:

I wonder when they note this time, is it 18:00 when your flight lands, or 18:00 when you get to the immigration officer?

My flight is scheduled to land at 17:15... I might be able to rush to immigration because I'll be in business so departing the plane first.

most likely at that time of day it's highly unlikely you will be tested on day of arrival and this is why following day is considered day 1 

10 hours ago, Ryanqqq said:

I hope Thailand follows similar conditions soon. Even just back to the one day hotel quarantine would be more attractive.

I imagine Thailand will simplify arrangements within 2-3 months.  There will be too much pressure to declare this endemic and move towards ending all the stupid rules.  Plus examples of other countries doing that.

On the other hand, the infection rate among tourists will continue to appear high, as they are forced to test twice, whilst the Thais are gradually learning to avoid tests, so they don't get sent to COVID jail for 10 days.  Don't count on this being recognised when decisions are made.