topjohn5

Which Rio hotels do you like?

• Members

Hi

I prefer hotels to airbnb. I don't speak Portuguese, prefer the added security of a hotel, and enjoy the facilities like clean linen and room cleaning.

Rio hotels seem pretty strict on not allowing anyone other than guests to go into hotel rooms. Airbnb maybe less strict.

Rio hotels seem expensive for what you get - many hotels seem rundown or pretty small. 

I usually stay in Ibis in Copacabana - Posto 2 and 5. Prices are reasonable for a clean modern room with safe and daily cleaning. I have brought guys back - only have trouble on one occasion.  

Posto 5 is close to metro, walking distance to 202, a few blocks away from the beach and not far from Ipanema beach.

I'm due to visit Rio in a few weeks time - have got Hotel Atlantic Copacabana booked - heard so much about their relaxed attitude to bring guys back I wanted to try it. Still in two minds though - anyone any recent experience of this place?

1 hour ago, redxs said:

anyone any recent experience of this place?

Was the hotel of choice for 20 years for members of this and other boards, many have moved on to Airbnb's or just moved on.

I stay here still whenever I go back, I like the easy guest policy, free breakfast, location and daily maid service.....Mostly the same workers from all those 20 years 😲

• Members

If you do decide on the Atlantico Copacabana make sure you book a Deluxe room. When I stayed there years ago their standard rooms were painfully small--like barely enough room for a suitcase. Their air conditioning is a window unit and depending on how that unit is functioning it can be noisy. I had no complaints about the hotel other than if I ever returned--a larger room on a higher floor(lots of street noise on lower levels) is what I would prefer .

7 hours ago, floridarob said:

Was the hotel of choice for 20 years for members of this and other boards, many have moved on to Airbnb's or just moved on.

I stay here still whenever I go back, I like the easy guest policy, free breakfast, location and daily maid service.....Mostly the same workers from all those 20 years 😲

I just made a reservation there for a week...May 1-8...Thanks All!

In 2020, I stayed at the Hotel Arpoador.  Recently refurbished, modern, boutique style hotel and one of the few hotels that is directly on the beach. A short walk to the Ipanema gay beach, the metro, and Spa Rio. The breakfast (included) in the beach cafe each morning was awesome.

• Members
1 hour ago, seajoc2 said:

In 2020, I stayed at the Hotel Arpoador.  Recently refurbished, modern, boutique style hotel and one of the few hotels that is directly on the beach. A short walk to the Ipanema gay beach, the metro, and Spa Rio. The breakfast (included) in the beach cafe each morning was awesome.

This hotel gets very mixed reviews on TripAdvisor.

I don't see the mixed reviews on Trip Advisor. 4.5 rating.  Mostly all good reviews.  Reading into the few bad reviews (with low stars} they complain of check-in issues/room not ready, dry cleaning, & room requests.   I enjoyed my stay there (first time in Rio).  Hotel was reasonably priced and had a great vibe.  I would probably rebook, as the AirBnB(s) I wanted to book in Ipanema had a high penalty cancellation policy.

51 minutes ago, Lucky said:

I like the Windsor Miramar, but have never tried to bring in a guest.

So many hotels in Rio DON'T allow guests, it doesn't seem obvious until you try and they cock block you.

Marriott seems to be no problem, but for me...Atlantico Copacabana is perfect...was 18-20usd a night during the pandemic, haven't seen what the current rates are....

• Members
5 hours ago, floridarob said:

So many hotels in Rio DON'T allow guests, it doesn't seem obvious until you try and they cock block you.

Marriott seems to be no problem, but for me...Atlantico Copacabana is perfect...was 18-20usd a night during the pandemic, haven't seen what the current rates are....

I was just reading TripAdvisor reviews on the Atlantico. If you couldn’t find a sauna boy there is always the bed bugs to keep you company.

On 1/29/2022 at 3:33 AM, sydneyboy1 said:

I defy anyone to name a city of comparable standing anywhere in the world that has such an appalling choice of hotel accommodation as Rio. At all levels the picking is very, very lean.

I agree!

When I was traveling there a bit, I stayed most at the Intercontinental Hotel (now closed) and the JW Marriott (painfully small and expensive). I think my next trip will be an Air B and B and I've never done that before.

I stay clear of AirBnB after a horrible experience in Madrid.  The thing about AirBnB apartments is that typically all the residents in the building know there are short-term tourists in residence and many people on the street know too.  I was robbed at the front door of an AirBnB in Plaza de Chueca just that way - the robbers were watching the building knowing tourists were coming & going with no security.  And, in some places the security may be in on the robbery.  I would never stay in another AirBnB in any city with high crime and known security issues. Absolutely no way in Rio or São Paulo.  

On 1/28/2022 at 9:35 PM, seajoc2 said:

But what about guests?

• Members
7 hours ago, seajoc2 said:

I was only there for 4 nights.  Brought back a guest one night and it was not an issue. There was a security guard in the beach cafe, from which you could enter the hotel at night.

Hotel Arpoador-- restricted access to sauna and pool? Access to the gym one at a time?

Screenshot_20220202-191357_Tripadvisor.jpg

I can put a word in for the Hotel Diamond, which is on the main street around the corner from the 117, probably about 4-5 min walk from there. It's a highrise, somewhat dated but respectable, I think it was about 30 USD last time I stayed there pre-pandemic. As a high rise with lots of people coming and going, visitors are free to walk by, no problem. Fridge in the rooms added bonus

44 minutes ago, Canadianbtmguy said:

I can put a word in for the Hotel Diamond, which is on the main street around the corner from the 117, probably about 4-5 min walk from there. It's a highrise, somewhat dated but respectable, I think it was about 30 USD last time I stayed there pre-pandemic. As a high rise with lots of people coming and going, visitors are free to walk by, no problem. Fridge in the rooms added bonus

...visitors are free to walk by...lol...I'm confused. Can visitors stay overnight and have you done that?

• Members
4 hours ago, Canadianbtmguy said:

With respect that location would be convenient for 117 but very little else. 

On 2/4/2022 at 12:18 PM, topjohn5 said:

...visitors are free to walk by...lol...I'm confused. Can visitors stay overnight and have you done that?

i have not had visitors stay overnight but i have had visitors come and go late at night and no one cares. the elevator does not require a key or anything so they can come right up

On 2/4/2022 at 4:03 PM, sydneyboy1 said:

With respect that location would be convenient for 117 but very little else. 

Haha...but what else is there? Actually it's walking distance to Lapa. I don't really care much for Copacabana, Im not a beach person. Some Brazilians have said that Gloria/117 area is actually safer than copacabana because thieves are not really attuned to a non-touristy middle/working class are like Gloria

• Members
16 minutes ago, Canadianbtmguy said:

Haha...but what else is there? Actually it's walking distance to Lapa. I don't really care much for Copacabana, Im not a beach person. Some Brazilians have said that Gloria/117 area is actually safer than copacabana because thieves are not really attuned to a non-touristy middle/working class are like Gloria

Regarding safety you might be on to something. I was mugged nearly in front of the Copacabana Palace Hotel on my first trip to Rio. Copacabana is not safe.

• Members

The Hotel Nacional in Sao Conrado, a genuine Oscar Niemeyer building from the 70s. The interiors are deliciously mid-century modern. The rooms have wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking either the ocean or the lights of Rocinha in the hills. If you leave the curtains open, you will wake up to the most gorgeous sunrise ever. Painfully early, of course, but you can go back to sleep and feel like you just saw heaven in a dream. I paid about $150 per night, which is more than usual for me but completely reasonable for what I think is one of the most beautiful hotels ever.

Sao Conrado might seem inconvenient and remote, but the hotel is a 5-minute walk to the metro, which takes you to Copacabana in 20 minutes. Or take the slower coastal mini-bus for one of the most gorgeous commutes in the world. The beach across from the hotel looks much safer and less hassles than those in Ipanema or Copacabana. My uber driver said it was his family's favorite beach.

(I don't know what the guest policy is, however, but security looks tight.)