babybear2

short Jan Brazil trip report

• Members
18 hours ago, babybear2 said:

I went to brazil Feb 2021, and after almost a year, I took another trip in Jan 2022. Things are pretty different this time.

(1) most stores/restaurants/malls are opened with no restrictions, while it is like half of them are closed last time

(2) sauna is a lot more packed, it is pretty busy almost every night, both in Sao Paulo and Rio. I met a few new faces I like. 

In the same time, all the regular ones I saw in 2020, still work in the sauna. The average turn over rate for some boys must be > 3 years I think 

(3) I also went to Salvaor, but did not really enjoy it that much. Salvador feels like a forgotten city, with many abandoned residential buildings near tourist zone and other places. And the beach is pretty small (the one with a lighthouse). The sauna boys are also a lot less, none of them are particularly hot. This is only my personal impression of the city after 3 days there

(4) Inflation is really high in Brazil. The mid-end restaurants I go to, 2 people meals, can easier go > 200R. Same for grocery store, > 100R with only a few items. I have no idea how normal Brazilian can handle this type of price.

(5) Sauna fees did not change though, same as 2020

(6) do not count on doing your Covid test at local drug stores, all slots are booked up a week in advance. I did mine in Sao Paulo GRU airport.

I am sad you did not have a good experience in Salvador. Based in your comment about the beach, I do not think you explored much. You are on point on the sauna scene, it cannot compete against Rio. 

Most of the guys I'm into in Rio and SP are from Salvador....so went I went to Salvador, I thought I'd hit the motherload. Once I arrived in the airport, I was blown away...so many of my types.

Just not in the gay saunas or gay scene it seems.....those types go to Rio and SP to make the real money, lol

• Members

Laborlife Diagnosticos in Rio … not a maternity ward … 

laborlife.com

5-10 minute walk from Botafogo station (southwesterly)

Very professional and fast, walk-in. If you are not a nickel-and-dimer is worth it for convenience.  Close to half the cost of fee-for-service equivalent in Canada.

Results in PTG and English, get both versions automatically. 

There are other options locally but Botafogo is so accessible whether travelling south from as far as Lapa or north from Ipanema, etc. 

RAT 2 hrs swab to email BRL180

RT-PCR 12 hours BRL300

RT-PCR 6 hours BRL450

For searchability keywords on our GG site: COVID rapid antigen test PCR

C9E0AA8B-2976-4ABC-AF58-B1D172CAAA84.jpeg

• Members
30 minutes ago, msclelovr said:

That’s a very useful post @Riobard.

Would you perhaps post it again in its own separate thread so that it stands out? It’d be a shame for such useful info to get lost in this thread on @babybear2’s recent trip. 

Thanks. I actually put it here because it was one of the threads where an OP expressed difficulty getting a test, though as is often the case no distinction was made about type. Some readers do prefer vague, and an attempt at elaboration and clarity is deemed over-inclusive. 

But when I woke up I realized I would need to tax some very short attention spans by adding that cash is king at this place and credit cards are not accepted. 

Anybody that wants to start a topic, say, city-specific and not exclusively antigen-centric (read USA-centric or other sovereign states without obligatory NAAT as may be the case) is welcome to import the details about this resource. My sense is that nobody here generally possesses the characteristics that would predispose them to getting wound up about the risks of plagiarism. lol

• Members

Hello, I made my decisions for July now. Will be in Rio and will make a 4 days Stop in Salvador - because of Weather and Culture. I am not only in brazil because of the saunas (wich I enjoy very much, too :D) but also because of culture, food, weather.  

So I would like to enjoy the old city of Salvador and the Beaches. I have seen that Florida Beach is mentioned as a good choice for beaches, but its far away from old city. And i love good bit luxurious hotels (like Ferara Hotel ) and did not see any near beaches.

So...any recomodations for a hotel: bit luxurious (boutique hotel), near old city AND beaches. :D

• Members

You may have more luck @Alex_Berl if you start a separate thread. Put your request as something like “Seeking hotel & recommendations for Salvador”

I’m sure there are posters here who are also travelers that stayed in Salvador but they will see your request more easily if it stands alone as a thread. 

• Members

As I may have mentioned, I have visited rio and recife in january. A little bit more than a week in rio and week in recife.

All stores and restaurants were opened. The beach has usual crowds. Maybe there were less vendors on the beach during the week. I did not visit saunas, because a new wave of omicron just started to grow in brazil.  I was said when I saw that my my favorite bar Tonemai on Rua de amoedo in Ipanema is closed. Now they are refurbishing the place and the domino pizza will move in short time.

This was my first trip after January 2020. Maybe the prices of food did increase, however the exchange rate is taking care of the increase. What is more sad, is that I feel that quality of food is getting worse.

As I said, I did not visit the saunas, because of covid fear. However, grindr is rich with boys who are willing to do anything. Some will start their offers with 500, some with 300 reais, but they will all settle for 200 reais.

It was particularly interesting in Recife. I did not know, how the hotel will treat visitors. I have read on tripadvisor that hotel’s policy is liberal. And really, whenever, I came in the lobby with guest the security was looking literally away. No problems.  Recife is not much up to, but village near by Olinda is beautiful old village. I would also recommend uber trip to beach in porto galinhas. Really nice, but avoid weekend.

• Members

After finishing several weeks in São Paulo I decided to spend a few weeks in Rio de Janeiro though I had not at all planned it. I had been toying with going to Recife, particularly since an excursion to that destination was abruptly cancelled in March 2020.

The weather was certainly better in Rio and the recently overused umbrella stayed packed away. One of the most striking things was that Tues free 1st cabin booking night, of which I attended two while there, though always packed in years gone by, was almost unmanageable. Reserving a suite involved a  90-minute wait that was best spent in more remote corners far from the maddening crowd to attenuate coronavirus exposure risk, attending the event being so very counter-intuitive with case incidence peaking there. It seems to be a locked-in ritual but with diminished returns, including for providers. You can collect phone numbers. 

Over the few months I tested very regularly and managed to beat the odds of a pandemic index case of infection.

• Members

The wait time on free cabine nights (Tuesday at 117, Wed. at 202) seems like bad business from the house, the boys, and the clients. The old Lagoa had so many nooks and crannies for quickies and the guys there were usually quite willing. At 117 and 202, however, I found neither opportunity nor receptiveness for such hanky panky. Is it house policy to discourage it? It takes away from their business but if their rooms are booked solid for 90 minutes, I'd think it'd be better to keep the clients and boys continuing to do their business one way or another.

5 hours ago, davet said:

The wait time on free cabine nights (Tuesday at 117, Wed. at 202) seems like bad business from the house, the boys, and the clients. The old Lagoa had so many nooks and crannies for quickies and the guys there were usually quite willing. At 117 and 202, however, I found neither opportunity nor receptiveness for such hanky panky. Is it house policy to discourage it? It takes away from their business but if their rooms are booked solid for 90 minutes, I'd think it'd be better to keep the clients and boys continuing to do their business one way or another.

sorry, do you mean the wait time is too long for free cabin nights?

It was not super long in Jan, the week I was there

• Members
On 2/15/2022 at 11:21 AM, Alex_Berl said:

Hello, I made my decisions for July now. Will be in Rio and will make a 4 days Stop in Salvador - because of Weather and Culture. I am not only in brazil because of the saunas (wich I enjoy very much, too :D) but also because of culture, food, weather.  

So I would like to enjoy the old city of Salvador and the Beaches. I have seen that Florida Beach is mentioned as a good choice for beaches, but its far away from old city. And i love good bit luxurious hotels (like Ferara Hotel ) and did not see any near beaches.

So...any recomodations for a hotel: bit luxurious (boutique hotel), near old city AND beaches. :D

I’ll be in Rio from 4th to the 24th July too.