reader

Phuket Russian sister city?

From The Thaiger

Impeccable timing!

The Russian Ambassador to Thailand met with officials in Phuket to discuss establishing Russia’s Kamchatka Krai Administrative Region as a sister city and other matters that affect the roughly 8,000 Russian citizens on the island. Vice Governor Pichet Panapong says Thai authorities are in the process of reviewing the Memorandum of Understanding with the region, adding that it is being handled by the Treaty Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Interior.

Ambassador Evgeny Tomikhin also discussed plans for a new Muay Thai camp in Phuket. Information on the meeting released by Phuket’s public relations department says that the boxing camp can be constructed on the island as long as permission is granted by Phuket officials.

According to PR Phuket, the ambassador gave a statement on the Russia-Ukraine conflict, saying Russian officials attempted to negotiate, but the two countries could not come to an agreement.

With Russian tourists the top demographic to enter Phuket under the quarantine exemption entry schemes, Sandbox and Test & Go, some have been concerned that the conflict “could lead to less tourists travelling to Thailand”.

The President of the Phuket Tourism Association is telling the public not to worry as Russians are still planning trips to the island (although some of the scheduled flights are already being cancelled).

I wonder what the purpose is of establishing Kamchatka Krai as an administrative region is ?    Some freezing region in the far east of Russia, with a relatively small population.  

As for Russian tourist numbers, well Thailand has become 40% more expensive in the last 6 months, due to the fall in the rouble.    That won't help, although it might be offset by other countries banning Russian flights.

It's not just the devaluation of the rouble, many are finding that their credit cards aren't working anymore. 

It's one thing to have to postpone/cancel a trip to Thailand for its warmth, it's another thing for those Russian tourists already in Thailand who may be having trouble with their credit cards.

47 minutes ago, macaroni21 said:

It's not just the devaluation of the rouble, many are finding that their credit cards aren't working anymore. 

It's one thing to have to postpone/cancel a trip to Thailand for its warmth, it's another thing for those Russian tourists already in Thailand who may be having trouble with their credit cards.

The Russian government has also stopped Russians transferring money abroad, presumably to prop up the currency.  So any Russians with bank accounts abroad will struggle to transfer money for that reason as well.

Of course, all this is exactly how it's supposed to happen.    Make life awkward for Russians, who eventually put pressure on their government.  

For the younger people, in the early 80s everything to do with South Africa became toxic because of apartheid. Over time it became wearing on white South Africans to experience being shunned. It was of course the determination of black South Africans who were responsible for the end of apartheid, but the international sanctions helped create the sense among the whites that the end was inevitable. I hope the pressure can be maintained against Russia, if Putin is not stopped now, we'll soon be in the same situation with the Baltic countries.

On 3/1/2022 at 5:55 PM, z909 said:

The Russian government has also stopped Russians transferring money abroad, presumably to prop up the currency.  So any Russians with bank accounts abroad will struggle to transfer money for that reason as well.  

That's not true. Transfers are limited to US $10000 per transfer. Cards VISA/Master abroad works as intended, unless they are issued by 7 (from 330+) banks under sanctions, cards from such banks are working only within Russia. Besides VISA/Master in Russia are widely distributed Chinese UnionPay and own MIR. 

On 3/2/2022 at 12:35 PM, xpaulo said:

I hope the pressure can be maintained against Russia, if Putin is not stopped now, we'll soon be in the same situation with the Baltic countries.

I am sure all reasonable people agree. But the difference between the 1970s/80s and the 2020s is that Russia has the largest stock of nuclear weapons anywhere. We already know that NATO will not agree to Ukraine's request for a no-fly zone simply because of what might happen if a NATO aircraft brought down a Russian aircraft. Unlikely it would immediately result in a nuclear war, but it would dangerously escalate what is already a horrible situation. 

That the Russians are now fighting very close to Europe's largest nuclear power station is bad enough. What are these monsters thinking about? Sadly I believe there is nothing the west can do that will bring Putin down. Sanctions take time to work and there is little historical evidence that sanctions really work as intended. Only the Russian people can take Putin down. After nearly a quarter of a century in power, ex-KGB agent Putin will surely have his internal defences pretty secure by now, I'd think. But it was his surrounding coterie that got rid of Kruschev (as far as i know). Perhaps a group within Putin's inner circle may eventually find a way of getting rid of him.

3 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I am sure all reasonable people agree. But the difference between the 1970s/80s and the 2020s is that Russia has the largest stock of nuclear weapons anywhere. We already know that NATO will not agree to Ukraine's request for a no-fly zone simply because of what might happen if a NATO aircraft brought down a Russian aircraft. Unlikely it would immediately result in a nuclear war, but it would dangerously escalate what is already a horrible situation. 

That the Russians are now fighting very close to Europe's largest nuclear power station is bad enough. What are these monsters thinking about? Sadly I believe there is nothing the west can do that will bring Putin down. Sanctions take time to work and there is little historical evidence that sanctions really work as intended. Only the Russian people can take Putin down. After nearly a quarter of a century in power, ex-KGB agent Putin will surely have his internal defences pretty secure by now, I'd think. But it was his surrounding coterie that got rid of Kruschev (as far as i know). Perhaps a group within Putin's inner circle may eventually find a way of getting rid of him.

Right now (ok, 2 days ago) Putin's approval rating grew from 65% to 71% in Russia. 

4 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Perhaps a group within Putin's inner circle may eventually find a way of getting rid of him.

Being optimistic, just like the Romans did with Julias Caesar.   

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

nothing to be proud of if true, shame on Russian people who seem to forget meaning of Jun 21, 1941

if you still able to open your eyes then look here, it is how modern (just prewar) Ukraine looks like. How did you say? 1941?

Galychyna_pixanews-6.thumb.jpg.fa463c643c14b067fe7b1373455878e2.jpg

You can find similar photos of crazies in any major city across the globe. It's not just the Ukraine that's for sure. 

Moses, your Siam Guides business has a fine reputation with members here. I personally think it's a mistake to get into the propaganda business, especially at this moment in time.

You've contributed timely information on many topics from time to time. Please don't allow this to become a mirror of "Brink of War."

1 hour ago, reader said:

You can find similar photos of crazies in any major city across the globe. It's not just the Ukraine that's for sure. 

Moses, your Siam Guides business has a fine reputation with members here. I personally think it's a mistake to get into the propaganda business, especially at this moment in time.

You've contributed timely information on many topics from time to time. Please don't allow this to become a mirror of "Brink of War."

Aren't "crazies" on photo - nationalists are base of current regime, and Nazi - are core of current nationalist movements in Ukraine.

And please pay attention: I have relatives in Ukraine and Crimea, so I don't read "news" from both sides - I speak by phone with people who are trusted and are watching everything by own eyes. Moreover: Moscow is filled with etnic Russian refuges from Eastern Ukraine. They are very visible by their Southern pronunciation. Here are over one million refuges in Russia now half of them are surviving in Moscow and suburban and working as taxi drivers, construction workers, cashiers in supermarkets and so on... I meet them every day. Personally. 

Moses, I can appreciate that you have a personal view on the Ukraine. But you're surely aware of what your megalomaniac leader is doing to your own country. Attempting to legitimize his actions with a photo array is an exercise in futility.

In my book, all Nazis are crazy by definition regardless of where in the world they emerge. Just as crazy as the man who started this war.

I accept that you personally know, and speak with, many ethnic Russian refugees who work in an around Moscow. I ask you to accept that most of the world believes that what is happening is an unnecessary and unwarranted tragedy that will end in utter disaster for Russia and the Ukraine, and to some degree for the rest of the world.

Readers have come to know you as a good man. But even good men sometimes get the story wrong for any number of  reasons.

I'm sure Hitler would have had supporters in 1939, who chose to believe every single piece of fake news put out by his regime and refused to even consider any alternative views.    

To even have a chance of finding the right answer, you need to consider both sides of the argument.

I hope Totally Oz steps in soon, as we don't come here to read fascist propaganda.       There are other sites specializing in that.

1 hour ago, Lonnie said:

Especially now that we won't sanction Russian oil... we are basically paying for Putin's war machine. Shame on Biden.

Certain European countries are partially to blame for that.    

In particular, Germany shut half it's remaining nuclear plants in December.  

Although they did open a new coal plant fairly recently, burning that will eventually need to stop, for CO2 emissions.

Relying on wind power is potty, as the wind doesn't blow all the time.    Just in case people think I'm being overly simplistic, UK wind power output sometimes drops to less than 1% of wind power capacity for extended periods.    Germany isn't going to be any better.

Hence Russian gas is rather critical, until they realize the error of their ways with Nuclear.   

11 hours ago, Moses said:

Moscow is filled with etnic Russian refuges from Eastern Ukraine. They are very visible by their Southern pronunciation. Here are over one million refuges in Russia now half of them are surviving in Moscow and suburban and working as taxi drivers, construction workers, cashiers in supermarkets and so on... 

sure, the same way like  Western European cities are full of Polish, Romanian, Hungarian, Croatian etc refugees doing the same jobs you listed, what they escaped are low salaries seeking higher standard of living , just the same like Russians of Eastern Ukraine.

11 hours ago, Moses said:

Aren't "crazies" on photo - nationalists are base of current regime, and Nazi - are core of current nationalist movements in Ukraine.

Poland must be suicidal country ,  suffered so much in hands of Nazis in 2nd World War and still now is letting the other  Nazis in by the hundreds thousands.

Are Russian mothers really letting their sons die in support of such propaganda nonsense ? 

7 hours ago, vinapu said:

Are Russian mothers really letting their sons die in support of such propaganda nonsense ? 

Russian army is army of soldiers who serve military service by contracts. They have salary, insurance and may quite from service at any time, unless whole country mobilization is announced. Right now here is no any mobilization. So it is their and their families choice to serve in army and to die or not die. Payments to soldiers and officers are so high (for time when service is going in dangerous conditions like military operations) what here are known cases when candidates tries to bribe officials for to get into army parts in Syria. 

7 hours ago, vinapu said:

sure, the same way like  Western European cities are full of Polish, Romanian, Hungarian, Croatian etc refugees doing the same jobs you listed, what they escaped are low salaries seeking higher standard of living , just the same like Russians of Eastern Ukraine.

How many "Polish, Romanian, Hungarian, Croatian" refugees surfed from discrimination in own country because they are speaking Polish, Romanian, Hungarian, Croatian? How many Hungarian, Croatian, Polish TV station and schools were closed in their homelands? How many Polish, Croatian Romanian refugees lost ability to wrote to any state officials in own language before to ran to work in neighborhood country? 

Why do you think Ukraine so easy lost Crimea just in 3 days in 2014 without shoots and with only 1 (one) fatality case? Because etnic Russians are majority in Crimea. 2/3 of population there are Russians. Why Crimea ran from Ukraine only in 2014? Just because nationalist took power in Ukraine by revolt in 2014. Before 2014 there was no intention within Crimean Russians to run from Ukraine. But in 2014 "Ukrainian" Crimean paliament announced referendum and Crimeans voted over 96% for independence. 

15 hours ago, Moses said:

Russian army is army of soldiers who serve military service by contracts. .... So it is their and their families choice to serve in army and to die or not die

Ok, thank you for an explanation. I still feel sorry for their mothers though

15 hours ago, Moses said:

..... Crimeans voted over 96% for independence. 

Independence ?

as for result is seems to be in line with all  elections in most of post-Soviet countries  so no surprise here as results were  known likely 72 hours before referendum took place. 

There's no issue in the whole world in any country on which 96 % of population agree, be it love of fathers, hate of gays  or taste of borscht, you name it.