reader

Hong Kong's travel restrictions are destroying its airport's competitive edge

Commentary from Channel News Asia

LONDON: Hong Kong’s airport has been a spooky place through much of the pandemic as traveller numbers have dwindled, leaving cavernous arrival halls devoid of their usual bustle.

The rest of the world is now opening up to international travel but in Hong Kong, which has some of the toughest COVID-19 quarantines in the world, the airport remains largely empty of incoming passengers.

The city has for many years claimed the title of the busiest airport in Asia and is set up as a vital air bridge to the rest of the Asia Pacific for those coming from Europe, and a passage for business travellers into south China, the country’s economic nucleus.

But last Tuesday, when leader Carrie Lam said that the ban on flights from nine countries would stay until at least April 20, a now-unremarkable trickle of 229 passengers arrived, down from the typical tens of thousands daily before the pandemic.

IS HONG KONG STILL FINANCIALLY ATTRACTIVE?

The local government says that the isolation is necessary as it races to control an Omicron outbreak and keep the city in line with Beijing’s zero-COVID policy, but airline bosses in Asia said that the measures are not only having a disastrous impact on business.

“A lot of airlines are thinking very hard about the future for Hong Kong — do we still need to fly to Hong Kong?” a North American airline executive said, adding that it was becoming “career suicide” to continue to advocate their head office for flights to be sent to the Asian financial hub.

“I’m quite worried Singapore will replace Hong Kong not just as a financial centre but also as an aviation centre,” the executive said, pointing to Singapore Airlines’ move late last year to add new routes, including to Vancouver and Seattle.

Singapore’s Changi Airport and Seoul’s Incheon International Airport have overtaken Hong Kong in terms of traffic, and many airlines, including Lufthansa, British Airways and Air France, have paused direct flights to Hong Kong altogether. 

The situation could worsen because of the war in Ukraine. Finnair said, over the weekend, that it could be economically unviable to continue to fly to Asia.

2 hours ago, reader said:

Singapore’s Changi Airport and Seoul’s Incheon International Airport have overtaken Hong Kong in terms of traffic, and many airlines, including Lufthansa, British Airways and Air France, have paused direct flights to Hong Kong altogether. 

The situation could worsen because of the war in Ukraine. Finnair said, over the weekend, that it could be economically unviable to continue to fly to Asia.

Well, there are a reduced number of direct flights to Bangkok. 

Now Bangkok requires less than 24 hours quarantine, whilst Hong Kong requires 2 weeks or whatever it is, so I'm not at all surprised that flights to Hong Kong are cancelled.   I would have thought people would only fly to Hong Kong if they have to, although perhaps there might be a steady trickle of outbound passengers, not intending to return for some time.

As for Finland, well if Russian airspace is closed, they are disadvantaged more than most.

Airlines departing from places like London, Paris & Frankfurt could get to Bangkok on a reasonable route, without flying over Russia.   EVA had already stopped flying over Ukraine a few years ago and I think the route didn't even go over Russia, or was fairly close to avoiding it in the area around the Caspian sea.

Meanwhile, Helsinki is much more disadvantaged in such scenarios.   Also, flying from Japan to Europe would be awkward when Russian airspace is closed.

The map is from a 50 year old atlas.   Whilst it helps if you have an idea of where Russian borders are, a key advantage is a straight line from London is the shortest distance to any destination.    Shouldn't be too far out for nearby European capitals.  

I also added some google screenshots.    I THINK it draws the shortest distance by air between 2 points.    As you can see, flights from London only need a slight detour to avoid Russia & Ukraine.     Meanwhile, Helsinki has major problems.

Capture.JPG

Lon-BKK.JPG

Helsinki-BKK.JPG

Here's some data to show how effective Hong Kong's zero covid policy is at present.    An Omicron case fatality rate of 5.2%.

Having ridiculous policies like 3 week quarantine for travelers is ineffective compared with persuading the elderly to get vaccinated.   

If people haven't learnt enough to take vaccines by the time they are over 70, do they deserve the protection of lockdowns ?

1527465339_CovidHongKong2.thumb.jpg.4fa6b93db9e9f33f03984b473668f8f5.jpg

Covid Hong Kong.jpg

For comparison, here's data from Thailand.   The vaccination rate in the over 60 age group is also below that for the average population.

Rather than waste their time with daft policies like bar closures and travel restrictions, Thailand ought to be persuading it's elderly people to take vaccines.   That would be far more effective.

Capture.thumb.JPG.1247eb7cd49e8762bb6db1986de7021e.JPG

I've avoided Hong Kong for some time, as I have Russia. I don't trust either China or Russia to obey the rule of law. Russia is now obvious, but I an sure if China thought they could get away with seizing Taiwan, they would. They've been assholes to all their neighbors. When I visited Vietnam some years ago, they cared very little about the US. The guide wanted to rant about what China had done.