Milk78

Back in Bangkok

2 hours ago, Milk78 said:

What time are the boy bars, I mean restaurants, opening? Are they opening earlier to compensate?

Open "beer bars" such as those in Soi4 and Jomtien are open fairly early (~18:00 ??).

I didn't see much evidence of gogo bars in Bangkok opening any earlier.   I stuck my head into Fresh Boys around about 8:30 pm a couple of times and didn't see anyone on stage.    After 9:00 pm, they might be on stage, but in Jeans, so there was no reason to stay and buy a drink.

However, as I've returned home in February, I'll be pleased to hear updates on hours, boys and what they are wearing (etc), from people currently in Bangkok.

I stayed at the Sukhothai next door a couple of times long ago. It's another beautiful hotel with top notch service. But the location was just too inconvenient for the places I wanted to go.

For a couple of years I used to stay at the Siri Sathorn apartments. That was the only place I ever felt a little uncomfortable from the looks of the people in the lobby when I brought a cute boy home with me one evening

6 hours ago, Londoner said:

It's good to know that the snobbery for which my country is notorious  also exists in Thailand. 

I once wandered into a Rolex shop in Bangkok. 

I was dressed for the climate in a pair of shorts and a short-sleeve shirt.  I was wearing a pair of Nikes. There were more shop assistants than customers but I was completely ignored. No-one made eye contact me so after a while I asked for assistance. One guy looked me up and down, decided I couldn't afford to buy a Rolex and turned away.

So snobbery is alive and well in Bangkok, especially in some stores in Siam Paragon shopping centre.

That was the only place I ever felt a little uncomfortable from the looks of the people in the lobby when I brought a cute boy home with me one evening

Not only do I feel uncomfortable, the guy I'm with also feels embarrassed, especially if we are sharing an elevator.

That is why I prefer gay or gay - friendly hotels.

• Members
6 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

I stayed at the Banyan Tree five years ago for two nights, to experience a top hotel in Bkk. It’s a very impressive place deserving at least a 4* rating. I had arrived on a motor bike taxi which prompted the door man to ask for confirmation that I had a reservation. My junior suite was on a high floor with a great view of the city. I used the swimming pool which was also on a high floor which I enjoyed. I was a little nervous when arriving back by Tuk tuk  with an offed boy, but there was no problem at reception, although I got a few stares from farang couples making my way to the elevator with him.  I cannot recall what I paid for the room but I recall that breakfast was the most expensive one I’ve ever had in Thailand. It’s close to Lumpini Park which was a plus as I was into jogging at the time.

After checking out I used the complimentary tuk tuk to take me to the nearest sky train station. My next hotel during that trip was the Zing Resort in Pattaya where the room charge would have been a fraction of that at the Banyan Tree. 

I heard W hotel worldwide is the only five star hotel with a "kinky" vibe.  Perhaps you can try it out and let us know.

29 minutes ago, scott456 said:

I heard W hotel worldwide is the only five star hotel with a "kinky" vibe.  Perhaps you can try it out and let us know.

Most hotels in the silom neigborhood are very gay and adult friendly, W bangkok included. I once stayed at a 3 star hotel near Asok terminal and had a boy comes to my room, and the reception did call me when he arrived, and call me again when he left. It was awkward at first since most hotel in silom i usually went to my room together with the boy, but its actually done for our safety. 

• Members
1 hour ago, spoon said:

Most hotels in the silom neigborhood are very gay and adult friendly, W bangkok included. I once stayed at a 3 star hotel near Asok terminal and had a boy comes to my room, and the reception did call me when he arrived, and call me again when he left. It was awkward at first since most hotel in silom i usually went to my room together with the boy, but its actually done for our safety. 

I was asking about 5 star hotels, not 3 star.  I am a snob.😁

11 minutes ago, Milk78 said:

Drinks were 350 bht which felt pricy and back to regular cost for what was on offer so didn’t hang around.

In both venues, the boys were in jeans but bare chested.

Good on you !   

If people actually pay 350 baht to watch guys in Jeans, I guess they will continue to fob us off with that.    

It just seems a bit mad. There is no-one in these places and the streets are pretty dead. I would have stayed and gawked at the eye candy for a while and with some company... who knows. But when I can get pretty much whatever, whenever, and for free on Grindr without trying, why would you spend that amount? 

But even then - the eye candy is much diminished when they are all in jeans.... 

I might go back tomorrow if i am in the mood (or, as unlikely as it currently seems to be the case, drawing a blank on grindr). Sometimes it is nice to have a pro come over.

Yeah, I was an hour before the show in Fresh boys. Show was starting at 10.30 in Hot Male.

The street outside was dead. I was literally the only person on it not employed by one of the venues. 

If the drink prices were lower, I would have stayed. Like they say, use it or lose it, and it would be tragic to see them all disappear. 

But, given the offer at the moment, it feels way too expensive.

I was thinking of going back tonight and maybe offing a boy. But, I just had a hook up on Grindr and have decided to go to a night market. 

Maybe I will save it for tomorrow/ weekend. 

19 hours ago, Milk78 said:

when I can get pretty much whatever, whenever, and for free on Grindr without trying, why would you spend that amount? 

But even then - the eye candy is much diminished when they are all in jeans....

At risk of too much repetition, I strongly agree with your first two points.  

19 hours ago, Milk78 said:

Sometimes it is nice to have a pro come over.

In my experience, my odds of getting a pro are far better on Grindr than from a gogo bar.

On Grindr we can have a proper chat about what he has to do to get a tip, which drastically improved my odds of success.    In a gogo bar, once I've paid a lad to sit with me, I'm much more likely to overlook any warning signs and off him.

it's becoming ever more evident that until test-and-go is totally scrapped and entertained venues free of restrictions, there won't be the number of tourists to support a 2019 version of Patpong. In the meantime, the operators of the clubs that choose to open should adopt some incentives to lure in the small number of would-be customers who are trickling back.

In the same way hotels lower rates, bars should cut the price of drinks through a variety of promotions. Even in good times, many bars offered "happy hour" pricing or drink specials on mid-week nights. Here are some ideas that I believe might succeed in helping to improve the bottom line:

• Early bird 200 baht drinks for first hour every night
  • 2-for-1 specials (per customer) Tuesdays through Thursdays
  • Beer special of 100 baht beers on Tuesdays through Thursdays
  • Off fee of 400 baht Tuesdays though Thursdays
  • Last-minute weekend specials

None of these are particularly new ideas. They've been used by bars and clubs around the globe and they frequently persuade undecided customers to give it a try.