Milk78

Back in Bangkok

6 hours ago, reader said:

Here are some ideas that I believe might succeed in helping to improve the bottom line:

• Early bird 200 baht drinks for first hour every night
  • 2-for-1 specials (per customer) Tuesdays through Thursdays
  • Beer special of 100 baht beers on Tuesdays through Thursdays
  • Off fee of 400 baht Tuesdays though Thursdays
  • Last-minute weekend specials

None of these are particularly new ideas. They've been used by bars and clubs around the globe and they frequently persuade undecided customers to give it a try.

Agreed, but firstly, the gogo bars need to provide hot lads in underwear !

1   7-Eleven beer costs about 40 baht, just for reference.  Low overheads means a lower price.

2  Beer or host bar prices are typically 70~130 baht.    I accept a higher price because of the location, the hosts, the atmosphere & to meet other customers.

3  Gogo bar prices are typically 200~400 baht.    I accept a higher price to watch cute lads in underwear.     If they don't have cute lads in underwear, the bar has no advantage over host bars, so even the proposed 200 baht "early bird" deal wouldn't entice me.   

49 minutes ago, Milk78 said:

I might just take a trip on the river. Recommendations very welcome!

Take the Chao Phraya Express (ordinary orange flag, not the tourist boat) from Sathorn (Saphan Taksin BTS) to the end of the line at Nonthaburi, enjoy the scenery on the way, lunch in a riverside restaurant, return. (caveat: I don't know if the tourist-oriented restaurants are currently open but it's a big non-touristy town so you won't starve.)

Cost: 2x15B plus whatever you spend on lunch.

I don't disagree, although I suspect it's the bib who are keeping the pants on the boys in some clubs while looking the other way in other, better financed ones. If the owners had their druthers, it would be different, I'm sure.

What the owners need to do is something they've been perennially, inexplicably reluctant to do: adjust prices in relation to demand. 300-450  baht is a range that puts most locals out of contention. That may have worked when 35 million foreigners were arriving in BKK but certainly not today.

The government also has to open the land borders to ASEAN neighbors, making it possible for the guys from the countries to again fill out the stages at places like Freshboys, Screwboys and the yet to reopen Lucky Boy that routinely offered 40-50 boys on weekend nights. Granted, that's something out of the control of the owners. But what's wholly within their control is the price of drinks and offs.

If they can't succeed in bringing bodies in the door, their most important assets--the guys on the stage--can't make any anything, either. The formula to turn this around is to do whatever's necessary to coax in the customer. I remember sitting in Soi 4 late in the evening when the owners of Telephone and Balcony would dispatch waiters to the corner of Silom, carrying signs advertising 59 baht drink prices. They puled in passersby and persuaded current customers to order another. It also created a vibe.

What if the Patpong bars did something like that, say 99 baht drinks for the last hour. It gives the guys who haven't been offed a second chance. That might create a similar vibe.

Maybe Moonlight can still make it with the highest drink prices but they have always had its on unique type of vibe, one that got started when Babe and his peers raised the bar for top of the line boys performing in a real show. I ponied up the 400 and felt I got my money's worth.

But it's clear that Patpong bars can't succeed in the current environment without innovating.

12 hours ago, thaiophilus said:

Take the Chao Phraya Express (ordinary orange flag, not the tourist boat) from Sathorn (Saphan Taksin BTS) to the end of the line at Nonthaburi, enjoy the scenery on the way, lunch in a riverside restaurant, return. (caveat: I don't know if the tourist-oriented restaurants are currently open but it's a big non-touristy town so you won't starve.)

Cost: 2x15B plus whatever you spend on lunch.

Thanks! Going to catch it this afternoon. 

14 hours ago, Milk78 said:

OH MY GOD - he was absolutely stunning. @vinapu would have been in heaven. Thai, probably about 30 although i find it very difficult to age Thai guys sometimes, they can have an ageless/ timeless quality to them on occasion. He arrived wearing a muscle vest and my word was it appropriate. I am not sure I have been with someone so ripped and yet almost understated. Perfect sized dick - a notch or two larger than average without getting to the oversize category.  Stunning meet. I don't often do repeats but will definitely seek him out again. He lives behind the hotel so can be at my room door in no more than 15 minutes. Bonus. He also loves overweight white guys, double bonus, and I am very happy to oblige. Not a money boy so brings all the goods for free - what's not to like? For the life of me I have no idea how I almost let this guy slip by....

I want to meet this guy too!! 🥺

2 hours ago, Lucky said:

These days the prospect of a high end hotel and a wonderful buffet appeal to me more than a go-go bar. Sad, huh? I always liked the buffet breakfast at Le Meridien and the W.

Who's  better?

I haven't had the others. All i can comment on is Banyan Tree. I stuffed my face this morning. Omelette, cold cuts, Thai Chicken red curry and rice, passion fruit, orange juice, coffee. It plenty worked for me...

2 hours ago, scott456 said:

OMG. A whopping 100 baht note.

Not everyone in Thailand is a prostitute & offering 1000 baht or more to someone who just wants some fun can cause offence.   As Milk78 correctly figured out.

Even I've had some rare instances when traveling around, where guys in their 20s just want some fun and no money.   I've had cash in the top drawer and was carefully watching for any clues they want a tip.

Or to put it another way, if any board member invited someone around for a meal, sex, or whatever, they would probably be offended if the guest offered payment.    One should tread with care.

I also ran into the Surawong taxi issues this week. The guys at Hot Male told me you have to walk over Silom.  Can still take some time but they show up.  Part of the problem is Surawong is blocked off at Thaniya. You can’t drive out to Rama 4 so taxis avoiding the area. 

16 hours ago, paulsf said:

I stayed at the Le Meridien Tuesday night for Test and Go.   Had the breakfast buffet in the morning.  Outstanding. I’ll make a repeat visit before trip over. 

I like the fresh coconut they offer for breakfast pre pandemic