reader

Expanded Jomtien Beach huge hit with Songkran revellers

From The Nation

Newly expanded Jomtien Beach a huge hit with Songkran revellers

The refilling of Jomtien Beach was a triumph because it drew many tourists during the Songkran break, the Marine Department announced recently.

The department expanded the 800-metre Jomtien beach’s width from just 5 metres to 51 metres in line with the Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob’s policy to prevent beach erosion.

After refilling the beach, the department handed the management back to the Na Jomtien Municipality on December 29.

The Marine Department said the refilling of the beach was a huge success because it managed to draw a lot of tourists during the Songkran holidays, allowing tourism operators there to earn good revenue.

Nothing has changed on DongTan beach. I have to admit that I have not been down to sit on my favourite section in front of the White House for a long time now, but when I walk past all is well. Over the long Songkran holiday there were a lot of Thai families sitting along there too, but that was good for business when there are still so few tourists here now.