SCOOT out of Gatwick ?

I just fired up Kayak to check who is currently offering direct flights from the UK to Bangkok and Scoot showed up in the search.

1  London Gatwick to Bangkok

2  A very convenient 22:05 departure from London.   All day to get to the airport and a good chance of some sleep on the flight.

3  A fairly convenient departure time from Bangkok.  

Of course, this says "Subject to regulatory approval".    Personally, I would probably wait until they get approval and have operated flights before booking.

For me, getting to Gatwick would take just slightly longer than Heathrow.    However, that is balanced out by the option of a direct train from one of my nearby railway stations.

Remarkably, the trains seem to run all night, so even a major delay when coming home shouldn't mean missing a train.

1469448891_SCOOT!.thumb.JPG.38790525b4b39246f37dd6c2df27940e.JPG

2 hours ago, gerefan said:

I have read some Scoot reviews. Similar to Ryanair! 

You're correct.    No in flight entertainment and you have to buy drinks.  (Review link below)

However:

Having searched over 7 different departure days, just out of interest, the only 2 airlines running DIRECT to Bangkok are Thai & Scoot.    So we are not blessed with a choice of fine airlines.    No EVA offering yet.

So if going direct, it's Thai or Scoot.   If going indirect, add a few  hours.

Thai have no Premium Economy, whereas Scoot seem to have some kind of Premium seat.   That appeals to me.  

All we then have to do is buy some meals & drinks and fix up a good range of in flight entertainment on a tablet.   There is the slight complication that I tend to eventually fall asleep whilst watching something on the overnight flight, so ideally I would have some kind of tablet holder to reduce the risk of damage.    They seem to have missed the chance to put something in the back of the seat in front for holding a tablet. 

https://callumelsdon.com/articles/review-scoot-plus-premium-economy-on-their-flagship-787-dreamliner-aircraft

EVA are expected to make an announcement next week about the resumption of flights, according to their London ticketing office. Unfortunately the expectation is that because of the isolation required for their flight attendants between flights, after the unfortunate incidence of them bringing covid in to Taiwan, they won't be resuming flights until June or July.

With Taiwan's borders still closed to most people and covid rates again spiking, I guess the only hope for an EVA London/BKK service any time soon will be if the airline has completely separate crews for the London/BKK sectors. Apart from the additional costs of basing crews outside Taiwan, both the UK and Thailand have vastly more daily cases than Taiwan. I'm not optimistic about a resumption of flights in the summer - and Taiwan friends agree. More likely the end of the year.

I flew Japan Airlines from Boston NRT Bkk a couple weeks ago.  On the Bos NRT leg were 3 Thai flight attendants from Bangkok. They said it was their first flights in the two years of Covid.    They said the Thai and Japanese govts came up with a flight attendant solution.  They fly Bkk Nrt Usa.    At Nrt company tests them on arrival and departure next day.  Dedicated bus to a block of hotel rooms used only by flight crews.  They also test in Boston and Bkk before departures.   They no longer need to quarantine other than overnight.   They said they were so happy to be back to work the extra testing wasn’t an issue for them.    So hopefully a sign that things are getting back to some normality in the Airline industry. 
ps: there were 75 people on my Boston leg, 25 going to Bkk.   The Nrt Bkk flight almost full.   

You are probably right....this is my third attempt to book a post-Covid flight on EVA. On the other hand, I'll be laughing if the July flights do go ahead and there is a scramble for seats.  And, if my flight is cancelled again, past experience suggests that it will be done early enough to find another airline. And  a quick refund is promised.

To be honest, desperation (and EVA's unbeatable convenience for a Londoner)  were behind my choice. 

• Members

I share everyone's concern about EVA.  Their excellent Premium Economy service between NY & BKK has been my default option for 10 years+ so I am rooting for them to start flying to BKK again soon. 

As to z909's original question about Scoot, I would look very carefully & pay particular attention to the upcharges for checking bags & the like.  If you have not already started looking, there are plenty of reviews & Youtube videos available to help you decide.  You could start here: https://www.airlinequality.com/airline-reviews/scoot/

EVA selling tickets is like dangling the carrot in front of a donkey on the beach.    The distance from the donkey to the carrot remains constant.

1   I'd love to see EVA back, with their direct flights, great service and nice Premium Economy seats.  

However, if Taiwan is more or less closed, then the BKK~Taipei leg cannot be profitable.    The London-BKK leg surely needs abolition of all the test & go BS in order to make that leg viable ?      

During the 2 years of covid, there have been quite a few instances of airlines taking bookings for flights and when it comes down to it, they didn't fly.    Those of us who travelled to Thailand in 2020/1 and 2021/2 are very much aware of this.   With all the paperwork, quarantine bookings, covid testing and other nonsense required to travel, choosing an airline that will actually operate the flight has been more critical than ever.  

So like Gerefan, I won't be booking EVA until I see evidence that they have been operating flights.   

2   For short haul flights, I'm used to operating with paying to check bags and so on.   The next time I'm going to Thailand, if the only airline with a direct flight and premium economy seat is Scoot, I shall do the research.    There is some evidence of them operating flights.....

SCOOT2.JPG

1 hour ago, zoomomancs said:

A search on end of June direct shows Singapore, 

I cannot see any Singapore  Airlines flights from Gatwick. Have to say their site is not very user friendly.

There are flights from Heathrow but with a stop in Singapore. 

On 4/18/2022 at 8:51 AM, fedssocr said:

I believe I read that THAI's brand new 777s are going to be on the LHR route. You could fly the King's first class suite

Qatar has increased the number of aircraft with its Q Suites in business class. On my recent visit to Europe I had a suite on the 777 out of BKK and on the A350 from Doha on the return leg. The other two sectors were on 787 aircraft with the usual herring bone configuration. Having paid for the ticket back in October last year, I think they are fantastic value.

image1.thumb.jpeg.26f48411744cf018cd6b6578ee840c94.jpeg

image2.thumb.jpeg.34606c3564b6062651c7010d65d0e664.jpeg

1 hour ago, khaolakguy said:

EVA today cancelled all flights from UK until the end of June...........

Proves the point.
DONT book any flights, with any airline, until they have a proven record of actually operating them on schedule....and for some time.

1 hour ago, gerefan said:

DONT book any flights, with any airline, until they have a proven record of actually operating them on schedule....and for some time.

That is advice that's worth repeating, due to various flights promised by airlines and then cancelled.

So checking the Scoot record, in the short term, it is not bad at all.   I would monitor this for a longer period before considering using them.   I don't like the 2 hour delay shown on one LHR to Bangkok flight, but since this is far less time than would be wasted on an indirect flight, I deem it acceptable.    Until a better alternative arises.    

My guess is EVA London to Bangkok will not be viable until Thailand abolishes all testing, quarantine threats and a requirement to buy for unfit for purpose insurance.   Even then, it might require Taiwan to open up to be properly viable.

Scoot.JPG

Yes, I think Taiwan still not being really open yet might have something to do with EVA's schedule. Altho a friend of mine recently flew SFO to TPE on EVA. But she had to get some sort of special work visa in order to go there. Tourists still aren't allowed

I used Scoot to get to Bangkok last week. Give everything a go once is my motto. I used the scoot plus hoping it equated to premium economy in a standard full service airline and that’s just what it is.

Just be prepared for no in flight entertainment (easy if you have a tablet or read) and less food (I brought some snacks), one average meal was included and you could buy more.

check in line was slow, but fine once I realised with plus you could go round the side with premium.

main issue was we were sat on plane for 2 hrs before journey started, they said this was a Gatwick airport issue with short staff and take off paperwork being cleared. Hmmm!?  Others on here are better at looking up their regular punctuality.

anyway, overall it is a serviceable, direct route.  If you really want to save money go in back of plane and travel in standard short haul type seating. It was busy and not surprisingly looked very backpacker types  

would I use again? Well I have a return so am next weekend!

but yes, I’d use their premium again if it was a decent saving over equivalent direct with Thai, Eva or BA