hammeredmsi

Should I visit Pattaya?

I was last in Pattaya 2 months ago, however:

1   Gogo bars were closed, with the irrelevant exception of Nice Boys, which is more rough trade than "pretty boys".

2  There were & still are plenty of pretty boys on the phone apps.   They are not on the apps 24-7, so if you're fussy, browse a few times in the first few days to build up a favourites list.  

3   There are plenty of boys around Jomtien complex.  All clothed, except for one cute bar manager, who has a BF and AFAIK isn't available.

Pre-pandemic, the scene in Pattaya had about 8 gogo bars remaining, of which I thought 3 were reliably worth visiting.   (Winner, Toy Boys & Cupidol). The owner of Winner will reopen as soon as he's allowed to, Cupidol is apparently permanently closed and I've no idea about Toy Boys.   

I don't see Pattaya ever recovering to the level where it has a large number of open gogo bars.   If this assessment is correct, I will still go to Pattaya and use the apps.

So my suggestion is to go to Pattaya.   If not, where else would you go ?

There are a few pandemic benefits, such as low hotel rates & quiet streets.

I added to my post above while you submitted your latest post.  You might want to have a look.

There are plenty of varying opinions about which apps are the best.  I can tell you the most popular apps are Planet Romeo, Hornet, Grindr, BlueD, and Jack'd.  Don't forget about Facebook and LINE, and several other chats such as Instagram and Wechat.  And there are plenty of boys on all of them. 

Which is the best?  In my opinion there is no valid answer to that question.  My advice is to try them all - often.  Whichever of them has the boy who most interests you, then now you have found the best app - for that day . . .

37 minutes ago, hammeredmsi said:

Thanks so much for your replies.  All that info is good to know.  What are the best apps, do you think?

Try them ALL.     Whilst some boys also use all apps, others are rarely seen on anything but their favourite app.   Also, you might see radically different pictures of the same boy on a different app.

I think the most popular apps in Pattaya are (in order):

1 Hornet

2 Blued

3 Grindr

4 Romeo

However, my preferences in Pattaya are in the following order:

1  Grindr

2  Hornet

3 Romeo

Grindr:   Nice large clear pictures on the main page.   Unlimited "blocks", so just block all the lady boys (if you're not looking for that) & anyone else who is a no hoper. Then you just filter the selection down to something interesting using "blocks".   Unfortunately, the advertising has recently become intrusive, early in 2022.  

Hornet:   I think it's got more people than Grindr, but when they fit 4 pictures across my phone screen, this is too small.   Advertising has long been painfully intrusive.   That doesn't seem to hurt Hornet in Thailand, but back home where I live, their market share has dropped from comparable to Grindr to less than 1% of Grindr levels (based on a profile count within 10km radius)

Romeo:  Used to be very popular, but they were slow to adopt apps.    Good free functionality.  Advertising is not intrusive, so ideally everyone would kick Hornet & Grindr into touch and move here.   Blocks limited to 50, I think.

Blued:    Lots of people, but I hardly ever meet any one via this.  I think the last time would be in Chiang Mai or Myanmar a couple of years ago.    If you use it in EU, CH, UK etc, they will close your account.    I guess they are not prepared to comply with GDPR or something like that.    I log out before leaving Thailand.

Whatever apps you use, beware of various quirks, for example:

1  If using the Grindr travel feature, for Pattaya, it will show lots of profiles "near Pattaya".   If you keeps scrolling, this includes people actually in Bangkok and further afield.

2  People can adjust their profile setting so they are not visible using the "Grindr Travel" feature.     So some of the boys in Pattaya will not be visible.   This means they spend less time answering messages from time wasters who aren't going to Pattaya soon.     Mine is also turned off, in a failed attempt to reduce spam messages.

3   If filtering by age, of course you might exclude people who didn't enter an age.    So occasionally turn it off.

4   Hornet messages seem to synch from one device to another.  Grindr messages only go to devices that are on and logged in at the time.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:48 AM, hammeredmsi said:

Hello,

I;ve been to Pattaya many times before COVID.  I'd like to go back soon.  But is it worth it?  I go there for the go-gobars. I really like pretty boys.  But is there anything going on there or should I call it a day and not return?

Please help.

Yes.

Even if you just go for a couple of days, then decide if you want to stay.

I was there during Songkran 2 weeks ago and it was very busy with boys and customers. Jomtien Complex is by far the busiest area, but you won't find gogo bars with pretty boys in Pattaya at the moment. It's all open fronted bars or outdoor seating right now, there are plenty of pretty boys.

I am still in Bangkok now, if I didn't attach myself to a cute boy I like then I would have went back to Pattaya again rather than staying in Bangkok.

3 hours ago, Vessey said:

the karaoke bars are still open until 3 or 4am or later.

I would be very careful about that if I were you.  If a venue is still open after the official closing time, I would advise leaving.  The police do raid those venues.  If that happens and you are in there, you'll be arrested right along with the bar employees and other customers.

I don't know about anyone else, but the last thing I would want in Thailand is an arrest on my record, especially the next time I need to go to immigration.   And the thought of spending even a few hours in a Thai jail is not an experience I would want.  I would not want to have to try to explain to a higher raking police officer or a Thai judge why I did not obey the rules.                          

I don't know what the consequences would be.  To me, it is not worth the risk.

I believe the bottom line is go and have a fabulous time, but whether you like them or not, obey the rules.

3 minutes ago, sydneyboy1 said:

Is there any date for opening of the go go bars and other entertainment places currently under restriction?

Not yet.  It is very unlikely to happen in May.  There is a chance for it in June, but at the moment it is only in the talking about it stage.

What is the official closing time of these (not) bars these days? Where can I find the hunkier/meatier men of boyztown? If it safe to be in nice boys? 

Sorry for the many questions, am split of either Pattaya or phuket. 

1 hour ago, sydneyboy1 said:

Is there any date for opening of the go go bars and other entertainment places currently under restriction?

I doubt we will ever see Gogo bars as before.

I read on one of the boards the other day that they are not going to issue any new Gogo licences or not renew any which have operated as other “venues”.

Looks like the days are over...there haven’t been any in proper Gogo bars in operation for over 2 years now.

3 hours ago, gerefan said:

I read on one of the boards the other day that they are not going to issue any new Gogo licences or not renew any which have operated as other “venues”.

Looks like the days are over...there haven’t been any in proper Gogo bars in operation for over 2 years now.

Most likely you are right the current conservative Thai government will be happy to see all these "venues" vanishing to dust.

• Members
7 hours ago, gerefan said:

A bit depressing. How I loved the Thailand of old.

Three choices:

1  Go to Pattaya

2 Go somewhere else

3 Don't go on holiday

Anyone choosing #3 might be waiting for the rest of their life if they expect to see somewhere with loads of gogo bars, like Pattaya 15 years ago.   Booking a holiday in 2022 is all about choosing from what is offered in 2022.

As for #2, I don't see anyone queuing up with a long list of good alternatives, at least with what Pattaya offers.    The only place I know of with more gogo bars open at present is Bangkok, but if you're expecting to see cute twinks in underwear, none of the bars had that.   On the other hand, the phone apps have boys available in Bangkok and you might still get some very favourable hotel rates (do your own research, as I haven't checked for 2 months).

Of course, it does also depend on what you want from a holiday.   I'm about to take my first European holiday since covid started.   Obviously I have quite different expectations for that, compared with the 2 long breaks I've taken in Thailand during the covid era.

For the type of holiday on offer, Pattaya remains as top of the list.   Plenty of boys on the apps and in Jomtien Complex, which was thriving.    

There might be an argument for waiting until after 1 June, to see what relaxation of the rules is implemented.

Vessey, pls clarify something u wrote: "Farangs r only a tiny bit of the sex tourism."

Assuming farang means Western, who are now the majority? I was under the impression that East Asians r covid-prevented from travelling, and the Russians have their own prblm.....

31 minutes ago, 12is12 said:

Vessey, pls clarify something u wrote: "Farangs r only a tiny bit of the sex tourism."

Assuming farang means Western, who are now the majority? I was under the impression that East Asians r covid-prevented from travelling, and the Russians have their own prblm.....

I meant that pre-covid, we were only a minority of the sex tourists, and certainly in terms of overall tourism. 

Perhaps 'tiny bit' was an exaggeration, but certainly a minority.

They publish, or used to publish, annual figures on where their tourists had travelled from.  I recall Indian and SEA formed the bulk of their numbers?