Lucky

Is Avianca Business Class Worthwhile?

• Members

Which alternate airline are you compare Avianca against?

Or are you compare bussiness against economy class?

Or are you asking if it's worth the extra money to fly bussiness instead of economy?

Or are you thinking about saving the mileage/points for another trip to other destination on other airlines?

6 hours ago, Lucky said:

I can get tix r/t to GRU but not sure I want to fly Avianca. Seems like it can be subpar. Any experience here?

Just watch some of the connections on the return, some are LONG layovers that would require getting a hotel...and if you're coming from Brasil, you'll need a yellow fever vaccine card. Not sure on connections, doubt it, but check with someone to be sure.

The internet has very mixed reviews on Avianca and I think their biz class seats on many jets don't recline flat.

Unless significant savings, you should take a direct flight to GRU, also to avoid the hassle of a transfer at BOG.  I traveled with AV between GRU and BOG pre-covid on A330 with non-flat business seats (actually, the seat was OK and I slept on the red-eye service to GRU) but the soft-product/service is below par compared to other carriers; disappointing IMO.

As stated above, you need proof of yellow vacc. when boarding a flight from Brazil to CO (unless only in transfer at BOG). 

Just echoing what has been answered here: it's not worth it.

To be more specific: I have flown them a few times since the pandemic started, all biz class.  They have fallen so far down in quality that I can't say I will fly them again till they improve.  

I've flown their Bogota to Rio and Sao Paulo to Bogota and their biz class meals are cold sandwiches and not a lot of drink options. Both flights are not lie-flat (6 hour flights) and they have that weird "extra reclining seat".  The seat was more hinge-ing more than reclining.  Not comfortable.  I'd suggest eating at Bogota airport (more or less back to great dining options) if coming from there.

The shorter biz class routes I've taken, Mexico to San Jose Costa Rica and the Costa Rica to Bogota flights, were fine/not good. Traditional extra reclining seats and again not good food and drinks.

I think if you can get the LAX to Bogota, or Madrid to Bogota flights, I think you'll be more or less fine. I've taken both this year and both a lie-flat normal biz class seats (tho showing their age), and the meals were decent with a fine selection of drinks.  Not sure if they are administered by a different part of Avianca, but I feel they were fine, and are cheaper than most biz class products.

• Members

The offered trip was very reasonably priced with a combo of miles and money. But, it was R/T to GRU. There was no option to return from GIG. There was a stop in BOG, but short, maybe too short. Someone at FlyerTalk posted a pic of a Business Class that was dark and narrow- not appealing at all.

The comments I have received there are quite discouraging, not only for Avianca, but for the Lifemiles program.

• Members

Depends. A330s are acceptable. B787s are one of the best in Americas. The rest are not so worthy.

that said, I noticed something weird recently. They streamlined their classes to xs s m l xl and xxl some time ago and xl xxl are international biz class. But for some reason, my upcoming jfk-bog and big-gig are both only up to L on A320s. I did buy L class. And I could choose the two front rows , which are 2-2 instead of 3-3. I chose 2K in both cases. Did they deleted biz completely from their inventory on narrow bodies? Try on Avianca website.