Milk78

Value for money

I am planning my next trip out - possibly November but it strikes me that is peak season and because I am not really tied to dates, I might ahead out during the shoulder season, particularly as things are opening up. Although what this winter will bring in terms of new infections is anyone's guess. 

With that in mind, where do people think is going to be the best value? I have been to BKK and Chiang Mai a couple of times and would like to spend some time at least somewhere else. 

Where am I going to the best all round package and value for money - boys, hotels, bars, restaurants, things to do? 

There are lots of interesting places in Thailand, but in many of them, the choice of boys will be very limited.  So it depends on your priorities and where you want to compromise.

6 hours ago, Milk78 said:

With that in mind, where do people think is going to be the best value? I have been to BKK and Chiang Mai a couple of times and would like to spend some time at least somewhere else. 

Are you saying you haven’t been to Pattaya?

If so it is the obvious answer!

17 hours ago, gerefan said:

Are you saying you haven’t been to Pattaya?

If so it is the obvious answer!

No, I have not been yet and I think it will make the list this time., at least to see what it is like. I have been reading a couple of threads on here about the place. 

18 hours ago, Boy69 said:

November is not exactly the high season. the high season is December to February. In the Covid era there is no high season actually at all .

a hotel was telling me that it was high season when I was asking about a potential long stay. They were reluctant to offer any sort of discount. With the restrictions now mostly lifted, I would think that things will start accelerating back toward normal - it is just how long it will take. 

1 hour ago, Milk78 said:

a hotel was telling me that it was high season when I was asking about a potential long stay. They were reluctant to offer any sort of discount. With the restrictions now mostly lifted, I would think that things will start accelerating back toward normal - it is just how long it will take. 

I noticed visible move of hotel prices  upwards from my December stay, they are bit higher now and prices offered for end of year are much higher still.

Market economy at work I guess.

But still good deals and good value for money abounds

3 hours ago, Milk78 said:

hotel was telling me that it was high season when I was asking about a potential long stay. They were reluctant to offer any sort of discount. With the restrictions now mostly lifted, I would think that things will start accelerating back toward normal - it is just how long it will take. 

In principal at normal times high season is December to February and peak season is between mid December to mid January . Some hotels are charging high season rates from November till the end of March or even April.

If you have never been to Pattaya it is a must. If only to see the gay scene there.

Have you considered a condo instead of a hotel? There are many available in Pattaya for short term rent. Rates at the movement are very reasonable. In March I was paying 550 baht per night all in.

If you are considering a long stay as you say, then Pattaya would fit the bill. Plenty to do during the day, beaches, Malls (yuck!) and other attractions.

In the evening many bars, Massage places, restaurants etc., and plenty of boys available. Hopefully some of the gogo bars will be open again soon according to some posts on the net.

And prices are much lower than Bangkok.

Some of us spend months there from November through to March.

On 5/3/2022 at 9:25 PM, gerefan said:

Have you considered a condo instead of a hotel? There are many available in Pattaya for short term rent. Rates at the movement are very reasonable. In March I was paying 550 baht per night all in.

Yes, when I have been up to Chiang Mai I have stayed in an AirBnb. Are there other sites that you would recommend?

• Members

I would agree that the Thai high season starts on Nov 1.  Back to the OP's question, I think that it is not certain how busy this year's high season will be at this point.  IMO, it depends on how long it takes for international travel to return to 'pre-Covid normal' & how soon China gets out of its current Covid difficulties & allows the Chinese to start traveling again.  The bad situation in Ukraine is another unknown.  Every week brings positive news about international travel but I think there's still a long way to go.

1 The costs which vary according to season are flights and hotels.  These can be checked online right now for your chosen dates and locked in with bookings.  November should not be too bad.

2 Other costs vary drastically according to how you live.   Staying in the Marriott, taking taxis everywhere and spending all night in Gogo bars would increase the bill.  

There's a limit to how far controlling costs is worthwhile.   After all, if someone spends (say) 47 weeks at home and 5 weeks on holiday, after the egregious waste has been cut out of the holidays, more is likely to be saved from looking carefully at the other 47 weeks.

2 hours ago, 10tazione said:

5 weeks of holiday is not enough!

Well I spent 89 days on the last Thai holiday and it would have been longer, had the Thai authorities offered an easy route to extend by a few weeks.

However, I guess most people asking questions might be planning a shorter trip, due to work commitments and so on.

As for booking properties in Thailand, all my booking has been done via Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, or by e-mailing the property directly.

3 hours ago, Milk78 said:

Does anyone have recommendations for sites to book condos? I use Airbnb a lot but wondered if there are other options or sites specifically for Thailand properties?

There are a number of apartment hotels in Bangkok that will likely show up on the main booking sites. I always enjoyed that I got more space in a place like Siri Sathorn. Agoda and Booking.com have options for apartment/condo booking in their searches. Last time I was in Pattaya I stayed at a large corner condo in View Talay 6 that I booked on Agoda. There were several little agencies in that building renting out condos there. I had a corner unit overlooking the beach. The building is next to Central Festival mall.

I expect the travel industry will be in a bit of upheaval for a while. I have noticed prices are really jumping now that people are starting to venture out again. Not Thailand, but I was just in NYC last weekend. The trip was booked long ago. The train cost me $49 each way and the hotel in Manhattan was $119/night. Looking at options to return and all of the prices have tripled in the meantime. I was looking at flights to visit family in Florida and they've doubled since my last trip.