reader

Laos to drop Covid entry curbs for vaccinated tourists

From Bangkok Post

Laos will drop Covid-19 entry restrictions for fully vaccinated tourists from Monday after the country reported falling coronavirus cases and deaths, senior officials said.

From January travellers had been required to complete seven days of quarantine, present a negative Covid-19 test, and were limited to travelling within certain areas with officially sanctioned tour groups.

The relaxed measures will see international checkpoints re-opened for Laotian citizens and foreigners, provided they are fully vaccinated.

Unvaccinated visitors must produce a Rapid Antigen Test issued within 48 hours of leaving their origin country.

Tourists will also have to pay for their own medical treatment should they become Covid-19 positive.

Laos officials added that pubs and karaoke bars could reopen.

===========================

From Laotian Times

Citizens of countries that do not have a visa waiver agreement with Laos may now apply for a visa at a Lao embassy or consulate abroad or via the e-Visa online system. Visa on arrivals will also be reinstated at certain international checkpoints.

2022 might be a good time to visit Laos.   The new railway line is open, but there will not be hordes of Chinese tourists arriving on it.

Anyone going for "visa on arrival" should take USD to pay for it.  Last time I went overland, they asked me for 2500 BAHT.  I asked to pay in dollars and they quoted the correct price of $40.