babybear2

brazil CPF question

Some friend told me that foreigner can open a CPF online by email, but wondering 

(1) what is the benefits of opening a CPF as a foreigner? 

(2) do I need to print the online CPF myself? Can I use it as identification document? 

Appreciate the insights 

• Members
1 hour ago, guessposting said:

It lists one of the reasons is... to open a bank account, do you know any banks that allows foreigners to open a bank account in brazil?

Any veterans or retirees who are already have bank account in Brazil please give advice on this.

You cannot open a bank account in Brazil with just a CPF number. A Brazilian bank also requires an RNE / RNM number on the CRNM (the residency card similar to the “green card” in the USA) for a foreigner to open an account. And of course, in order to obtain one of those, you first need to have a residency visa — not a tourist one.

• Members

When I signed up the prepaid mobile phone service with Claro, and membership of smartfit gym, the CPF made it a lot easier than my (foreign) passport which did not seem to be accepted.

For some purposes I have not yet figured out, there are options to enter CPF at checkout at many supermarkets and retail stores.

I agree, In Brazil you will be asked all the time if you have CPF, e.g. at pharmacy, when buying SIM card for phone, signing up for Itau bike rental, etc.

You don't need to print anything. Just remember of write down the number if you don't know numbers in Portuguese.

• Members
On 5/21/2022 at 7:34 AM, SolaceSoul said:

You cannot open a bank account in Brazil with just a CPF number. A Brazilian bank also requires an RNE / RNM number on the CRNM (the residency card similar to the “green card” in the USA) for a foreigner to open an account. And of course, in order to obtain one of those, you first need to have a residency visa — not a tourist one.

I have read a blog post detailing the steps to open an account with Bradesco without needing a residency visa: https://toughnickel.com/personal-finance/Can-a-Tourist-Open-a-Bank-Account-in-Brazil

I haven’t attempted this myself (as I determined the potential benefits of a local account were not worth the apparently considerable hassle), but providing the link the in case it may prove helpful to someone.