reader

How long-haul travel will change post-Covid

11 hours ago, reader said:

I think worldwide inflation is already taking its took on the long haul travel market. Carriers are beginning to acknowledge that fare increases are having negative effect on bookings 2-4 months out. They’re finding just how much the consumer is willing to pay, especially for premium seats. 

This creates a cash flow problem in the near term. Airlines are caught in an ever tightening bind due to rapidly rising fuel prices. In the past they relied on hedging but that runs the risk of committing to higher prices now without knowing if world events might result in change in fuel costs going forward.

From the customer point a view, there appears to be a window of opportunity to find promotional fares now for travel in the fall.

Thank you so much for your response :). This is what I've finally decided to do - postpone my travel for now, and hope to advance book cheaper fare sometime later this year, when prices settle down.

I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my query and helped me out. Thanks a ton 😊! Based on what you'll have stated as well as my own research, I've decided to postpone my trip to the US for now, because the prices do seem a bit high. They should hopefully settle down by the fall. Additionally, Texas also reported its first case of monkeypox yesterday, and WHO has also warned that cases are also spreading fast in non-endemic nations. Therefore, I figured from both a cost as well as health perspective, I should stay put in Canada for now. Once again, thank you for the warm welcome everyone has given me on this forum! 

11 minutes ago, Sherlocked said:

I was originally planning on travelling to Bangkok and Chiang Mai later this month, but put my travel plans on hold because of the recent monkeypox scare and cases increasing globally

time to travel is now, after monkeypox it will be something else, donkey diarrhea or elephant's hiccups, you name it. We were waiting to travel for 2 years of lockdowns and should tell ourselves , enough waiting is enough.

Just booked a biz fare out of Chicago on ANA for late September that was actually 25% less than my May departure.

Be persistent and flexible and you have a good chance of finding that sweet spot.

Regardless of the price of fuel, short-term cash flow needs can create temporary bargains.

From the Points Guy

Thailand and North America will soon be reconnected with nonstop flights.

Air Canada on Monday announced that it will launch seasonal service on Dec. 1 between its hub at Vancouver International Airport (YVR) and Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK). The service, on a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, will operate four times weekly. The final eastbound departure from Bangkok is scheduled for April 17.

The westbound flight, AC65, departs Vancouver at 11 p.m. and arrives in Bangkok at 5:55 a.m. two days later, all times local. The eastbound flight, AC66, departs Bangkok at 8:30 a.m. and arrives at 6:35 a.m. in Vancouver. That flight technically arrives before it departs, a quirk of eastbound travel over the International Date Line.

The new flight will be a welcome addition for travelers, particularly those loyal to the Star Alliance, looking to get between North America and Thailand. Most itineraries between North America and Thailand currently require a stop in East Asia, generally at Incheon International Airport (ICN) near Seoul or at one of Tokyo’s two airports — Narita International Airport (NRT) or Haneda Airport (HND). The timing of this flight — a late-night departure westbound and an early-morning arrival eastbound — allows for a maximum number of same-day connecting options.

Air Canada’s new flight is the first nonstop between North America and Thailand since 2012, when Thai Airways ended its nonstop service between Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Bangkok, according to Cirium schedule data. Thai Airways also had a nonstop between Bangkok and New York City’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) that lasted between 2005 and 2008. In addition, United Airlines operated a one-stop service to Bangkok via Tokyo Narita until 2014.

==========================

From the Thaiger

Thai Airways is finally resuming its Bangkok – Perth flight route after a two year suspension due to the Covid-19 pandemic. A Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner will fly on the route 3 times a week starting next month.

The first scheduled Bangkok – Perth flight will take off from Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport on July 5. As of today (June 20), a one-way ticket on the route in July costs 13,000 baht – around 528 AUD – on the Thai Airways website. The flight time duration is 6 hours 45 minutes.

1 hour ago, reader said:

new flight is the first nonstop between North America and Thailand since 2012, when Thai Airways ended its nonstop service between Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Bangkok, according to Cirium schedule data.

I took that LAX - Bangkok flight in 2001 , my first trip to Thailand  but it was with refueling stop in Osaka where we were required to leave aircraft in order to immediately board again but not before we went through security. It was just 2 months after 9/11