endlessdream

Summer trip set, Colombia + Brazil

• Members
On 5/25/2022 at 9:29 AM, Slvkguy said:

I could easily stay in SP for 2-weeks+ as there’s so much to do/see.

Wow, and I thought I was an SP fan. Adding it up, I've probably spent more time in SP than all but 2 or 3 other places in the world other than my residences. SP has its charms but they are well-hidden and perhaps undetectable on a first trip. Therefore, only those of us who have other than touristic reasons to go to SP have uncovered its charms.

• Members
On 5/25/2022 at 1:14 AM, endlessdream said:

So now I have two months in Brazil in stead of one. My plans might need to get twice ambitious, too. Any suggestions besides SP and Rio? Im looking at Porto Alegre, Belo Horizonte, Salvador, Recife and Fortaleza. It would be nice to have a comparative chart (Again, I’m asking for the impossible). 

You'll be in Brazil during the Festas Juninhas, or summer saints' holidays, which are SUPER-interesting in the north, rivaling their local carnavals. I did it in Sao Luiz, way up north and very cool. I heard Salvador and Recife also have great festas juninhas.

If you're talking about garotos, adjust your expectations. BH is the only other city that, in my experience, even comes close to the big two.

• Members
5 minutes ago, davet said:

Wow, and I thought I was an SP fan. Adding it up, I've probably spent more time in SP than all but 2 or 3 other places in the world other than my residences. SP has its charms but they are well-hidden and perhaps undetectable on a first trip. Therefore, only those of us who have other than touristic reasons to go to SP have uncovered its charms.

Do you mean boys out of sauna? Any tricks to share? Thx 

2 hours ago, davet said:

Wow, and I thought I was an SP fan

Yup - i was blown away by SP.  

It’s uniquely Brazilian- but if I had to describe it for those that have never been there: picture the vast geography of LA w mountains in the distance, urban density similar to Manhattan & tropical like Miami.  All rolled into a city of 12 million & 30 million in the metro region. It felt much bigger than NYC. 

I LOVE big cities and there was really cool architecture, interesting neighborhoods, safe/clean public transportation & excellent restaurants.  People were so friendly. And it’s crazy inexpensive. Easy to find great hotels at reasonable prices.  It doesn’t have obvious tourist attractions which is also nice because it’s not flooded with dumb tourists - thus, they don’t have crime issues targeting tourists as in Rio. 

Yes - crime happens there for sure.  I just didn’t see it. and I was very careful bc of all the warnings. Paulistanos are security conscious & they don’t hesitate to share dos/don’ts w visitors.

SP is portrayed as a third world city by American media for sure - and as @SolaceSoulcorrectly pointed out, Jardins and wealthy areas are safer than European capitals & many US cities.  I’m already planning my return - cannot wait to go back.  And the weather was perfect for 10 days - very unlikely that will happen again.  

On 5/18/2022 at 12:45 PM, Half-vaccinated said:

Cali: 18-28 Juin

I'll be interested in hearing about Cali if you decide to make a report. I've so many hot guys online from Cali. But it's on the, you should definitely not go there, list issued by the Canadian government, although they seem to apply that to many places in the world... classic butt covering maybe.

On 5/18/2022 at 11:34 AM, endlessdream said:

but mostly I might just Grindr surf

be very careful with unverifiable people on Grindr.  More and more reports of hookup apps being used to target & rob gay men.  Or worse.  We are particularly vulnerable in foreign countries, although happening w more frequency  in US too.  Vast majority of these crimes go unreported because of shame & embarrassment - the criminals know this.
the only way to verify these people is if they happen to have other social media account w significant followings - OnlyFans, IG, Twitter, etc 

I can’t speak about Thailand & Asia - but definitely a bad idea in Brazil when saunas provide a safe option. Any tourist from US/Canada or Europe is rich in their view and an easy target. 

Personal safety should be priority #1.

• Members
8 hours ago, xpaulo said:

I'll be interested in hearing about Cali if you decide to make a report. I've so many hot guys online from Cali. But it's on the, you should definitely not go there, list issued by the Canadian government, although they seem to apply that to many places in the world... classic butt covering maybe.

I would not let that stop you from getting acquainted with the fun-loving caleños. The warning about Cali applies to the regions surrounding Valle de Cauca which are major producers, and the nearby city of Buenaventura is a major export centre, meaning that there a many unsavoury characters running around who have no patience for a clueless foreigner.  The entire area from Valle de Cauca to Riseralda (Pereira) is very safe now.

The city of Cali is a different Colombian experience to be certain, but the culture is highly social, famous for salsa, lively music and boisterous gatherings where all are welcome. The caleños love a good time and enjoying life. It is certainly one of the cities not to be missed in Colombia.

3 hours ago, macdaddi said:

meaning that there a many unsavoury characters running around who have no patience for a clueless foreigner

I think this is good advice for anywhere - although I get the emphasis in context here.  Anywhere that we travel & appear as obvious tourists for whatever reason, added caution is necessary.  Double that as you get older. 

On 5/26/2022 at 1:57 PM, davet said:

If you're talking about garotos, adjust your expectations. BH is the only other city that, in my experience, even comes close to the big two.

I've been to Belo twice, once for one of the World Cup games. It's laid back and feels safer than some of the other bigger cities, but I have no proof for that. I had good times at a couple of the saunas, one was pretty scuzzy and there were some genuine thugs, but they didn't seem dangerous in that context. It was the only time in my life I truly felt like somebody's bitch. I can't remember the name of the other one I went to, but it had a pleasant bar in the basement with some shows and lots of good looking guys. There was a third one I went to that was very modern looking and clean and and expensive and had a few muscular male model types, but no fun at all.

On 5/25/2022 at 1:14 AM, endlessdream said:

Lol. This forum is making me crazy. As I kept on reading those posts about Brazil, I was getting less and less patient. At a certain point yesterday, I decided to ditch Colombia and fly directly to GRU in two weeks. Aeromexico is offering insanely cheap biz flights from Europe and I’m getting tons of Flying Blue XP (lol, excuse much?!)  on the other side, I’m loosing hundreds of euros canceling my existing tickets.

So now I have two months in Brazil in stead of one. My plans might need to get twice ambitious, too. Any suggestions besides SP and Rio? Im looking at Porto Alegre, Belo Horizonte, Salvador, Recife and Fortaleza. It would be nice to have a comparative chart (Again, I’m asking for the impossible). 

It's June 14, 2022: I read this post on last Sunday, June 12.  ...didn't post for I couldn't remember particulars regarding the following recommendation.

In your initial post-- you asked for advice, so I'd highly suggest that you venture to Salvador (Bahia), the most African influenced city in "Mother Brazil."  When I visited "The Falls" a few years back, I met a Jewish couple who'd been traveling in the country for a few weeks.  During our discussion, the wife stated that I must go to Salvador Bahia, for it was definitely a unique place beyond other cities in Brazil.  Well, I'd already had included that city during that particular visit, so her suggestion piqued and furthered my interest.

While there I had a wonderful tour guide  who I'd obtained from a gay tour agency that was based in Rio.  Unfortunately, it's no longer, for the popular gay agent is deceased.  My trip to Salvador was stellar; it was so great that I went there the second time a few years later and engaged the services of the same guide.

Since this apparently will be your first time to that part of Brazil, I highly recommend your taking a few tours with Fernando Bingre (tour guide).  I'd recommended his services and expertise to a friend who did visit, and my amigo was highly pleased and satisfied.  Prior to Covid, Fernando had a website; today all of his superb information and photos can be found on tripadvisor.com along with his innumerable photos and reviews.  Fernando is gay; his mentor and former guide (mine) is not, but he did respect and communicated with me most amicably.

When you conclude this impending trip, I personally would appreciate reading about all of your experiences, for you initial post piqued my interests and encouraged me to make the preceding recommendation.

Keep in mind it’s winter in Brazil - so some of the southern beach cities like Florianopolis and Balneario Camboriu wouldn’t be appropriate now.

Fortaleza would be my choice given time of year.  Maybe Salvador too - there’s a 5 star Fasano hotel that’s not expensive.

1 hour ago, endlessdream said:

Thank you so much guys. I feel bad not  being able to report anything so far. I’m happily trapped with two ‘boyfriends’ here in SP and barely had time to go to Lagoa. A 20 yo fashion student cute like a button, and a 28 yo model with a cock to die for. I promise I’ll write something when I get to Colombia this weekend. 

Enjoy immensely and take your time in reporting back here.  If you choose to relay your great experiences after you return to your home base, I personally can live with that,

The times that I traveled to both Argentina and Brazil-  I always chose to share my experiences here as well as at, the now companyofmen.com formerly daddysreviews.com or the like after I'd return to home base.

Again, make the best of the situation and don't give much thought to us.  Take care-- a long time visitor and writer and poster--Axiom

On 5/18/2022 at 3:40 AM, endlessdream said:

Cali: 18-28 Juin

Bogota: 28 Juin -03 July

Rio: 04-24 July

SP: 24 July - 10 August

My JFK-CLO and BOG-GIG flights are both with Avianca in economy L. For some reason, business is not on sale and with L fare I can choose biz seats. They are narrow bodies so I don’t expect too much. Let’s wait and see if I get bumped back to Y seats. 

20 days in Rio and 17 in SP seem pretty long. But it’s my first time, so I want to pace myself gently. Maybe I’ll add a stopover in between. Any suggestions? Better avoid long flights within Brazil. Bus trip preferred. Thx. 

Avianca is eliminating business class on non-Europe flights

https://onemileatatime.com/news/avianca-eliminates-business-class/

• Members
8 hours ago, floridarob said:

I don't remember, do you have your Yellow Fever Vaccine?  it's needed to go to Colombia from Brasil

Good catch; I hope it’s been done and is moot. Though there may be worse things than São Paulo Pride Weekend. Or needing to fill an accommodations gap of a few weeks in Brazil rather than losing more than the Colombia return flight and possibly leaving money on the table for Cali and Bogotá accommodations. 

This is an example of where attention to detail in posting is important. The revision had mentioned “ditching Colombia” and moving up Brazil, increasing Brazil to two months, when it appears the original itinerary holds with Colombia (Cali?) this Saturday and then back to Brazil July4-Aug10. Otherwise, Brazil 2 months additively would not be met  by a stay merely from May25 to now.

This revision would have necessitated Yellow Fever inoculation no later than June7 if done in Brazil. One of us may have caught it earlier, had it been clear. But “ditching” is not the same as tacking on more weeks elsewhere at the front end.

Foreign nationals can access it in Brazil though it could be a crapshoot requiring CPF, and an internationally recognized regimen, as opposed to an apparent domestic version that does not yield the yellow-coloured certificate or may be exclusively digital and inadequate for boarding to Colombia.

Since there are only 4(?) origin countries I am pretty sure I would have missed this detail myself had I planned some years ago a trip to Brazil that included Colombia immediately subsequent to Brazil.

I fly from Colombia through Panama this year and expect I may be asked to produce it for the first time ever, though I believe it’s not needed for less than 6 hours airside at Tocumen or perhaps just remaining airside even longer and not entering the country through airport border control.

• Members
On 5/23/2022 at 5:40 PM, floridarob said:

The Hilton Mexico city is notorious for not letting you bring anyone you pick up up to your room. I make sure the guy has an ID, and when he is questioned, I make them register him. Sometimes seems like a scandalous confrontation at the Front desk, but doesn't deter me from doing so. The Othon Palace in Rio was the only hotel that I couldn't get to  back down....and that was in 1999.

Weren’t you a minor?!

• Members
3 hours ago, endlessdream said:

I had the shot four years ago in colombia but it has my old passport on it. I have the old passport with me too so I think it shouldn’t be a problem. 

Phew. Enjoy Colombia.

If your old passport is affixed to the vaxx certificate or immunization booklet by masking tape or staples it should still be adequate. [Teasing]

If you meant that your new passport number is not the same as your old one (odd though, I think) and is not written on the certificate, you probably know to make sure your signature is on and matches in 3 locations: both passports and the certificate. 

Word to the wise, a certificate of vaccination to enter Colombia must be International version, not a Domestic version such as may be issued in Brazil. I suspect that if the inoculation was obtained in Colombia and if Colombia issued a Domestic version, that certificate would suffice. Saving grace was cleverly getting the YF vaxx there in this case. 

[I also probably erred about transiting through Panama on a flight out of Colombia. I don’t think the chances of being required to show it to go through Tocumen are greater than for flights from Brazil through Panama, wherein I have never been asked to produce it. Copa Airlines users may want to check.]

I got the YF vaccination for free in BOG airport 3 years ago. Landside, not airside/in transit area.  Apparently still available also for foreigners. It was very quick/efficient, 5min max. I showed my yellow vaccination passport/booklet and the doctor made an entry in the booklet. Over and done with.

I was asked for proof of YF vacc. when flying from GRU to BOG some time ago, so when traveling from Brazil til Colombia it is needed.