Canadianbtmguy

7:30pm Arrival to GIG on Friday; will I make it to the Saunas?

Can I hit the ground running or will I have to cool my heels til saturday afternoon?

Arriving from Europe (unlike the usual morning arrival from north america). My first trip since covid and coming on the heels of a trip to Istanbul to go to the (disappointing) Aquarius Spa, (I will be reviewing in the europe forum...) which made me realize there is but one Rio in this world and there is no sense waiting for my planned July trip there. So, I'm eager to get started....I'm thinking I might be able to make to to the sauna around 9? And pre-covid I recall the action lasting a little later on Fri/Sat til maybe 10 or even 11?

Just want to get an idea in advance because I have to tell my airbnb host my arrival time (in other words, do I budget for a stop at the sauna "on the way")

Subsidiary question...I have 11 nights, which I'm thinking there will be so many new guys in the Rio saunas no need to run off to SP, whose guys (pre-covid) I always found not as good as Rio anyway...but the new Lagoa has piqued my interest. Should I bother with SP or just revel in Rio for my 11 days?

Thanks guys!

• Members

Impressively valiant but unrealistic.

What is ‘the sauna’? They (plural venue intended) don’t offer a luggage stowage service to unknowns. Behind the manned reception? I know and consistently tip the support staff where lockers exist for belongings, but I probably would not impose such a request. Yet others here with owner/managerial connections have successfully made such arrangements. You might try contacting ahead of time. I cannot give out contact info for specific staff. 

That said, if your accommodations happen to be in Copacabana your best bet might be to check in and rush to 202 for “last call”. Being a Friday night also means some of the guys benefit from extended Metro hours to get home. 

I would skip São Paulo, particularly if this is your first visit. One to three venues will be accessible in Rio each night and it might be interesting to check out New Meio Mundo for fun, though I no longer bother.

All considered, it will be the true dawning of the age of Aquarius. 

• Members

If you can make it to 117 around 9 pm on a Friday, you’ll most likely have a waning crowd of garotos and clients. But you should be able to find someone that tickles your fancy. If you’re arriving at 10 pm, it becomes even riskier. 

Regarding a brief trip to São Paulo, 11 days is enough time for you to manage that. 

2 hours ago, Canadianbtmguy said:

Can I hit the ground running or will I have to cool my heels til saturday afternoon?

given your screen-name, you’ll probably want to freshen up aka douche before sauna.  rushing it never seems to work, especially day of travel. bring a portable kit that you can use w bottled water.  

• Members

For Canucks wishing to conveniently douche transatlantically it’s the upgrade bid, eh?

The key is to ensure that nothing is pumped up prior to cruising altitude. Otherwise, any trapped air can expand as cabin pressure decreases. Wouldn’t want an exploding arse. It is also essential to use absorbent anal panty liners for residual fluid dribbles. 

I'm traveling light with only a backpack and I've long ago abandoned any sense of shame that would keep me from freshening up in the sauna restroom.  But, it so happens that on my overnight layover in Paris I met up with a young African refugee ;) who I met last fall on Grindr who literally goes all night (regrettably almost entirely in doggy style, not only my least favorite position but after hours and hours the legs start to give out...) and so I think I will lack both the energy and the requisite desperation when I arrive tonight.  Hopefully, I will be fully recovered and ready to hit the ground Saturday night (which pre-covid I recall was the only night without a clear winner between 117 and 202, still true?)

I have been to SP several times, although never more than a few days at a time. I always expected as a richer and much larger city it would have the creme de la creme, but on my limited trips to Lagoa (ok, 7 or 8, maybe) I rarely met guys in the same league as Rio

5 hours ago, Canadianbtmguy said:

I'm traveling light with only a backpack and I've long ago abandoned any sense of shame that would keep me from freshening up in the sauna restroom

It’s not your shame you’ve abandoned- it’s your common sense & probably your lower intestinal tract when you infuse it w Rio tap water.  
What a perfect way to ruin a vacation.

Are you sure you’re not American ??

• Members
6 hours ago, Canadianbtmguy said:

Thank you, regarding the comparison. I took a long term pricey house in São Paulo this past winter because I like the city overall, but left oodles of cash on the table because I was so frustrated and had to go to Rio for a few unplanned weeks with extended overlapping accommodations. Lesson learned. That said, I constrict myself regarding sites and that likely accounts for the difference

Should be possible if taking an Uber straight to Club 117 or Pointe 202 (Club 117 is actually closer to the airport, but I can't remember how it is on a Friday night). If you get there by 9 PM you should be fine, even by 10.

There is a shower room next to the locker room for clients downstairs. No need to freshen up before arriving the sauna.

Saturdays should be okay at Club 117; at least it was when I was there in April. They showed a local football match (I forgot the details) on the big screen in the outside smoking area/bar which was very popular with the local guys/GP.

For those curious, there was an uncomfortably long wait at passport control, flights from Munich and Ams had just arrived before Paris and nearly an hours wait. Still got to Copacabana at 9:15pm, couldve made it if need be. Saturday I met an American guy on Grindr (free); he was 50ish and no washboard abs but had, even by Brazilian standards a huge dick, 25cm by his estimation and I would grant it was 24 anyway. (And unlike so many big dicks that seems to grow large in odd ways it was utterly proportional to a normal dick but supersized) Great multihour sex with him, ruined when I accidentally--and tragically--came.  Not only did it end the sex with him, but I wasnt horny for my debut at the saunas a couple hours later. Started at 202 (in my recollection Sat was the one night without a clear winner between 202/117). It was a birthday party with a rather lavish buffet compared to (raunchy) food served in the past. About 25 boys, lots of twinks not much muscle. I waited around a bit waiting for the buffet to open, but that's not why I came to Brazil so at 7:30 I left and went to 117. Clear winner. Old form, about 35 boys at least 10 very good bodies, 4 of which seemed to be cocooning with clients along the back wall of the inside bar. At least 2 guys I wouldve gone with under normal circumstances. One I made out with a little and he assured me he would be there the next night. Just arrived at 117, it's now 6pm, slow still about 15-20 boys, nothing to write home about and the guy from last night not here yet. Still not so horny, darn this 50year old libido that takes days to recover!

A few practical info:

Gyms: Smart Fit, many locations, 25 reais day, limited early hours on Sat and Sunday. Forma Fitness, rather drearily located in basement of Club Israelite but great equipment 20 reais, a little better hours. Pretty hopeless to find gym in Rio on Sun afternoon (morning possible)

Covid test: Pharmacy of NS de Copacabana promoting it, 105 reais, no appointment necessary.

SIM Card: spent an inordinate amount of time on this. Registration requirement. major carriers in Copacabana do not handle foreigners, have to go to RioSul Shopping. Instead you can buy TIM SIM card at news agent (12 reais) and call the number pressing 3 for English and give them your passport information. English in fact spoken, was supposed to be active in 2 hours. Wasn't working and pressing 3 didnt seem to do anything but lead to endless Portugese menus. Asked doorman to listen to message and he said I had to get a recharge. (Was my undertsnading that the SIm included some GB but for 12 reais what do you expect. Bought 20 reais recharge and it's now working. Have no idea how long it will last, especially for some reason my laptop does not find the wifi in the airbnb and so to use laptop I am tethering from phone. Or using laptop at 117, rather geekily right now....

30 minutes ago, Canadianbtmguy said:

Or using laptop at 117, rather geekily right now....

You’re carrying a laptop around Rio & using it in 117 ?   That’s a new one for sure

On 5/22/2022 at 4:15 AM, speedoo1 said:

No need to freshen up before arriving the sauna.

The OP is a bottom w a big dick fetish & wants bareback sex  - no need to freshen up before the sauna ??  the garotos will just love that.

The water in Rio isn’t safe to drink, let alone send it rushing into your butt/intestinal tract.

Maybe it just  me - but proper preparation is among the basic & respectful things a client can do before entering a garoto sauna.  

• Members

Based on my recent trip to Rio, you can still find something at 9 pm at 202 on Mon. and Wed. nights or 117 on Tue. and Fri. nights. But don't expect a cornucopia at that time, more like 1 definite and 1 maybe-if-you're-real-horny.

17 minutes ago, Latbear4blk said:

I did not know that. I always drunk tap water in Rio, with no issues.

You’ll find many opinions on this - the most sensible explanation I found is that the water in Brazilian cities is treated and should be safe to drink.  However, aging & poor infrastructure in pipes below ground & in buildings are not well maintained, thus contaminating water.  It’s best to ask in a hotel.  When I asked in SP recently- they said absolutely not….and I assumed they would have filtered the water at that hotel.  They told me the local pipes made the water unsafe, which is exactly what I read online.  SP is first world compared to Rio IMO. 

You will not see tap water served in Brazilian restaurants and most locals drink bottled water only or have filtration systems.  

Re: using the water for internal hygiene - no, that could ruin a vacation quick. Why risk that vs bottled water ?  Seems simple 

• Members
1 hour ago, Slvkguy said:

You will not see tap water served in Brazilian restaurants

This is certainly not true. But anyways, I know people who only drink bottled water in DC and Buenos Aires, all with the same arguments you shared, internet research included. 

So whatever makes you feel safer, go for it.

3 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

This is certainly not true.

No tea / no shade - but I guess depends on experience. I’ve been to Brazil 12x and never ever anyone served tap water.  

Your experience may be totally different - all good

• Members

What kind of water do they use in their juices? Honestly, I got so careless in Latin America that I stopped watching what I was eating or drinking. Then I got a moderate case of traveler's bowel in DR and a more serious case of maybe food poisoning in Rio. I'm thinking it was the juices, which are mixed with water, but filtered/boiled or tap?

5 hours ago, davet said:

I'm thinking it was the juices, which are mixed with water, but filtered/boiled or tap?

Just google it - you will find a variety of opinions from Brazilians and foreigners in Brazil.  Some swear water ok to drink & others equally adamant never drink the water.  I’ve always been told by the hotels no.  Others may have different experiences.  When in doubt, why risk it ?

For the water, I think it's a nuanced answer that it is unlikely to make you acutely sick, like Mexico, and so you don't have to go around worrying about eating say, salad, but it's not a good long term option.

As for the saunas, certainly any evaluation of Rio based on Sat-Sun-Mon is woefully incomplete. But so far, pretty lackluster. Sat was a fairly good night at 117, no stunning guys, but definitely some handsome ones. Sunday at 117 and Monday at 202 quite forgettable. The few hotties I had gone with pre-pandemic, and so far the biggest surprise is that (again based only on these 3 days) I have not seen a new crop of post-pandemic hotties. Tonight, tuesday, of course will be the test. ;) 

While the saunas so far disappointing, the Grindr (free) experiences are more than making up for it. Yesterday morning a 30ish guy out of my league, a body face and cock that would have been well above average had he been working at the sauna. Great sex for free ;)

On 5/23/2022 at 7:37 PM, Latbear4blk said:

This is certainly not true. But anyways, I know people who only drink bottled water in DC and Buenos Aires

I don’t know how you compare DC (first world) and Rio or Buenos Aires  (third world) residents drinking bottled water to make the argument for drinking tap water in Brazil - but whatever works.  I can’t ever remember a hotel in any major American city saying don’t drink the water.  In a Brazil, it’s common.

I wouldn’t touch Brazilian tap water personally - but I also always use condoms too, so there’s that.  I don’t take risks when an easy sure-thing solution is available and not cost-prohibitive.  Last time I checked bottled water & condoms are not expensive