Jimbillp

Thailand reopening, some observations, ups and downs

Phuket eases mask rule, Bangkok eyes same

From the Thaiger

Phuket has eased some of its mask-wearing requirements for people not at risk of serious illness as a result of Covid-19. People no longer need to wear face masks while outdoors in open-air spaces, such as beaches, stadiums, and public parks, provided there is a space of 2 metres between them and others.

The new order, effective from June 1, was signed by provincial governor Narong Woonciew yestereday. However, the Bangkok Post reports that people are still required to wear face masks in indoor spaces and where there are large crowds. In addition, the lifting of the outdoor mask mandate does not apply to those in the high-risk groups, such as the elderly and those with underlying health conditions.

Meanwhile, in Bangkok, the newly-elected governor is watching what’s happening on the southern holiday island. Asked about the easing of the mask mandate on Phuket, governor Chadchart Sittipunt says he’d like Bangkok to be able to do the same, given that the Covid situation has improved in the capital. However, this will need to be done in consultation with health authorities, including the health department of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.

The Bangkok Post reports that Chadchart is also interested in extending the opening hours of bars and other nightlife venues, as well as public parks. He says doing this would ease congestion in such places and allow attendance to be more spread out. Nightlife operators in the capital have expressed frustration at the current closing time of midnight, saying the re-opening is pointless if this rule remains.

Dr Kiatiphum Wongrajit from the Public Health Ministry has previously stated that restrictions could be eased further from mid-June. According to Kiatiphum, the outdoor mask mandate could be lifted in Bangkok at that stage, with only high-risk groups still required to wear one.

16 hours ago, Vessey said:

The ban on over 60s for example?

One of the Thai News sites referred to some government ADVICE that over 60s avoid bars, or something like that.   

Nothing to worry about.

From the Thaiger:

Thailand’s party-pooper-in-chief, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, has made another spurious claim to Thailand’s media. He’s predicted that Thailand’s Covid infections could soar to 10,000, a day, now that Thailand’s nightlife has ‘officially’ reopened.

He said that the numbers of new coronavirus cases could “soar” within 3-5 days after the country’s entertainment venues were given the official nod on June 1.

From Bangkok Post:

PHUKET: Mandatory wearing of face masks in public areas is back on the island province, just two days after the restriction was removed.

Governor Narong Woonciew on Friday signed an order rescinding a previous one dated May 31 which allowed people to take off face masks while in open public spaces provided they maintain social distancing of at least 2 metres.

On 6/4/2022 at 6:51 AM, reader said:

Thailand’s party-pooper-in-chief, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, has made another spurious claim to Thailand’s media. He’s predicted that Thailand’s Covid infections could soar to 10,000, a day, now that Thailand’s nightlife has ‘officially’ reopened.

The number of covid infections really doesn't matter.    Thankfully Thailand seems to have realised this and is going to stop regularly reporting covid infections.   So the idiot health minister will have to find something else to talk about.

"The government's COVID-19 task force will shift to reporting new COVID cases only twice a month, as the number of daily cases continues its downward trajectory. New announcements will be issued by the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) every other Thursday, except during weeks in which new announcements take place on the same day as the general CCSA meeting.

While all RT-PCR positive cases are normally counted as newly confirmed cases, the CCSA will also shift to reporting only symptomatic cases and hospitalizations.

2 hours ago, jason1975 said:

I just arrived this afternoon after being away for 2 years. Bangkok is quieter without tourists from China and Russia. Sad to see Patpong market gone. Volcano Ramen which i frequented has closed. Even Tawan Hotel has closed. Surawong Road is so quiet.

Would love to read your trip report/experiences if you are inclined to post! Have a great time. 

Freshly in office at City Hall, Bangkok’s newly elected governor yesterday vowed a return to “normal life” including no face mask rules and later closing times for nightlife venues, the Thaiger is reporting.

Chadchart on Sunday also proposed allowing night owls to remain at bars and nightclubs until 2am. Currently, the law requires they shut by midnight. 

Chadchart said the extended hours would reduce overcrowding, attract more tourists, and benefit the economy, as long as strict health measures are in place. 

“When alcohol sales were banned during the pandemic, many sought to drink in the streets,” Chadchart said. “I think it’s better to allow nightlife venues to open until later and regulate them.”

In a recent development, the PM is urging police to clamp down on the 12am closing time citing fears of clusters emerging. Yet, since entertainment venues have been open on June 1st, overall cases in the country have dropped. 

Let's hope the people meeting next week who are deciding to extend until 2am actually look at the data of venues being open rather than making fear-based decisions.

Yes I can confirm this. I was in Dreamboys watching the show. Just before the last act (2 pairs of guys sucking each other) the oher guys started getting dressed. After the 4 guys ended their act, a few guys came and stood on stage full clothed for less than one minute for any possible offs and then they headed to the exit. Mamasans then started telling everyone, "Bar close. Bar close." There were still about 5 customers left, some with bottle service and some with shirtless guys seated next to them. I left the bar and saw all the beer bars shuttered and lights off. At the entrance of soi patpong, there were about 10 policemen standing around.

From Bangkok Post 

Most Covid controls to be lifted

The Public Health Ministry expects the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration to lift nearly all Covid-19 restrictions nationwide, meaning the virtual full-scale resumption of business and other activities including entertainment.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said on Thursday that he expected the CCSA to announce nationwide green Covid-19 zones on Friday and also set the date for the relaxation to begin.

As for the use of face masks, Mr Anutin said the Public Health Ministry would not announce a complete end to face mask use on Friday. Officials would consider lifting the requirement in particular areas.

Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control, said the Public Health Ministry would on Friday propose the CCSA impose green zones nationwide and in practice there would not be any restrictions on business and other activities.

Health authorities had no concerns about the operation of pubs, bars and karaoke shops. The number of serious Covid-19 cases dependent on ventilators had dropped to 200-300, he said.

On the use of face masks, Dr Opas said the Public Health Ministry had never arrested anyone who failed to wear a face mask. It only recommended people wear masks as long as they could do so, he said.

The ministry suggested people remove face masks while eating, when alone or a fair distance away from others, or when outdoors or in well-ventilated places, Dr Opas said.

6 hours ago, reader said:

On the use of face masks, Dr Opas said the Public Health Ministry had never arrested anyone who failed to wear a face mask. It only recommended people wear masks as long as they could do so, he said.

Wouldn't the police do the arresting ?      Or far more likely, collect some "tea money" from the offender ?

2 hours ago, Vessey said:

Face masks seem increasingly pointless, although if it is only 'advisory' .....

Eventually, I would hope the objectives include normalization of society and that ought to include the abolition of mandatory face masks.   After all, we can hardly expect young people to be required to wear masks for ever.   That would be some kind of social disaster.

Then, if that's the objective, what better time to remove the mandate than after everyone has had the option of an mRNA vaccine ?

I usually walk Patpong 1 nightly if for no other reason than to judge how its reopening is progressing. Last night I was impressed how many of the lady bars were open. What’s different is taxis now have free use in either direction, dropping off and picking up patrons. One of the old restaurants seems to be doing a halfway decent business, feeding the workers. I make it a point to check the Madrid for signs of life. Nothing new to report but it does not appear abandoned, just closed.

I walked it from end to end this afternoon and was surprised by how many small shops had recently opened (eateries, barber, nails shop, massage and sundry others).

Would not be surprised if night market returns by high season.

6 hours ago, floridarob said:

when I was visiting Patpong Museum early in Jun guide  told me that owner moved business to new premises somewhere on Charoen Krung, now we know.

But New location signs says "Madrid Cafe and bistro" which coupled with old location of Madrid Tavern not  looking  completely abandoned leave me hope that Madrid Tavern still may be resurrected. Time will tell