Olddaddy

Your favourite Pattaya hotels

I know Airbnb are now more popular so I'm considering on my next stay to look around on this.

Its been 3 years away and I'm back this month for a month.

Where do you guys usually stay in Pattaya ?

I loved the Ban Souy gay resort  but I did move a bit closer to jomtien plaza on my last trip to the Zing inside the jomtien plaza .

Ban Souy is a bit overpriced at this stage average from b1800 b per night and the drawback was transportation 

The Zing however was great value and gay friendly and walking distance to most bars 

The Agate also in the jomtien complex much similar although higher priced and rooms overlooking the pool with balcony 

Usually I like to split my weeks changing hotels , one week jomtien complex, the week after Boyztown etc.

Haven't stayed at the Ambiance for years though, my last trip in 2019, I didn't really enjoy the Le cafe Royale hotel  in Boyztown.

I have come to realise though that many of these hotels do not like you booking thru travel companies apps 

Has anyone used  Airbnb in Pattaya?

Would you say it was better for you in terms of price, location etc ?

1 hour ago, Olddaddy said:

I have come to realise though that many of these hotels do not like you booking thru travel companies apps

As far as I can see, more Thai hotels offer better rates on the booking sites than for direct booking.   Or that is at least how it is for the majority of the cases where I have made a comparison.    So I presume they don't want direct booking that badly ? 

There are some places I book directly, but these are typically where I stay long term.   Even then, it pays to cross check with the booking sites and make sure the price is appropriate.   It's not unknown for certain apartment rental places to quote a higher price directly than on the booking sites, but a little negotiation can solve that problem.

On checking into the Classrooms a few years ago, I even received a letter encouraging customers to book directly.   However, at the time, direct booking would have worked out more expensive than the apps, unless staying more than 2 weeks.

I've also been in hotels in Thailand and Laos, where walking up to the counter, they will not match the booking site price, either for a new booking or an extension.   So I book online.

Of course, in some cases, direct booking is cheaper and may involve far better terms, possibly with no deposit.    Although I have fulfilled  every hotel booking, I'm still averse to paying out large deposits, just in case health, airlines, pandemics or other unexpected events prevent travel.

I'm open to learning from other members.

As for where to stay.

The Ban Souy area is in the middle of nowhere, without any decent coffee shops nearby.   OK for some people, but not me.

Anywhere in South Pattaya from near Tuk Com to Boyztown works for me.   Whilst Jomtien is better for nightlife these days, on long trips I certainly don't go to the bars every day and South Pattaya is more central for daytime activities.    However, I keep this under review.

I have never used AirBnB.   For a start, they deliberately show an incorrect location for most places, presumably to stop people contacting the property and booking directly.   Whilst I can recognise some properties and the location from the picture, this policy still makes it too difficult to bother with.

I only stay at Airbnb’s.   Your correct they don’t give exact address until you book, but I’ve never had an issue where the pre booking location wasn’t correct.    My experiences the map location has always been in the correct neighborhood within a couple of blocks.     If you see something you like you can contact the owners and they will usually give you the street name. 

I also prefer booking via the apps, but I did get reminded at one Pattaya hotel not less than twice that I should of booked directly with the hotel itself , as far as I know it was more expensive that way so I'm not sure what they were on about.🙄

This thread is rather appropriate for me as I am due in Thailand in 2 weeks time to start my trip initially in Pattaya and see how things develop. During my last 3 trips I have stayed at the Zing and can echo Olddaddys endorsement, that it was, pre-Covid, very good value and gay friendly. It has a reasonable sized pool which is well maintained. In the Complex I have also stayed at the Agate, which was more expensive but still good value. Then there was the Poseidon which I think is 100% gay with no female staff. It’s restaurent has a very good reputation. It had a rather unique indoor pool in which you swim against the pumped current which very much amused my boyfriends.

Before I moved to the Complex I very much favoured the Ambiance in BT, which as we all know, is a Gay Pattaya icon, with its confusing maze of corridors in which it’s easy to get lost. If a boy or friend comes to see you there it’s better to meet them at reception, otherwise they could get lost without trace. The only other hotel worth mentioning is the Sansuck Guest House, which like the Baan Souy, is remote from the action, but with a motor bike it could suit some, being part of the sauna complex.

As to direct booking against the agencies I was once told by a hotel that you get a better room with direct, but I don’t think this applies generally.

I will also be arriving in exactly 2 weeks and can't wait 😁

I'm currently looking at all these hotel apps deciding where to book 

On another note , A colleague at work informed me her husband goes into a app where they bid on not only hotels but flights at almost half price 

I think however they do it the day before they need it.

Any of you guys know any apps such as that ?

Not that I'm a Cheap Charlie though, I don't mind paying more if I have to .

6 hours ago, vinapu said:

Last trip  one I,m currently on my way home from I stay in Copa, Classrooms and The Venue and was happy with all three

Thanks Vinapu.

Never heard of Classrooms.. Is that a new hotel ? Where is it located ?

37 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

Thanks Vinapu.

Never heard of Classrooms.. Is that a new hotel ? Where is it located ?

It's here:   https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@12.9274151,100.8766466,3a,75y,288.19h,97.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVcuQ61to7Wd8pkPaoaEBiw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Directly above A-Bomb and The Classroom girly bar next door.     I've stayed on the top floor a few times.

In that area being quiet after midnight is a major advantage. I stopped staying at the Ambiance in Boystown because of the 3 am racket from a nearby Karaoke  bar. Thai bars only know  one setting of the sound system volume control - maximum.  Vinapu - how did you make your reservation at the Classroom ? It seems to be fully booked on Booking.com for most of June.

Just now, Travellerdave said:

In that area being quiet after midnight is a major advantage. I stopped staying at the Ambiance in Boystown because of the 3 am racket from a nearby Karaoke  bar. Thai bars only know  one setting of the sound system volume control - maximum.  Vinapu - how did you make your reservation at the Classroom ?

on Agoda although when checking in staff encouraged me to book room directly with them next time as Agoda is charging them plenty so she promised direct booking will be cheaper. They were one of few hotels which did not depress their prices because of Covid but hold them still, it's why I did not stay there in December

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

advantages of Classrooms : big rooms, quiet soi even if has 2 bars on street level and card operated discreet entrance bypassing both bar and reception

Their rooms with sit on balcony look good @1450 baht per night 

I love a room with a balcony, can't recall if I had a balcony at Zing resort in jomtien.

I know I had one at the Agate hotel in jomtien.

oh and be careful when booking for the Zing hotel, I remember booking on a app way back in 2018 thinking Wow I snared a bargain here for the Zing hotel, only to find out I actually booked the Zing hotel up on the main road and not in the jomtien complex !

When I want to stay near Sunee and the massage places behind Tuckom I stay at Mosaik serviced apartments.

In Jomtien Complex I stayed at Agate and Posoiden, I think I liked Agate more just for the price. The restaurant at Posoiden was really good and the owner makes you feel very welcome looking after guests and chatting, so it is a very nice option if you want to spend a little more.

10 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Their rooms with sit on balcony look good @1450 baht per night 

I love a room with a balcony, can't recall if I had a balcony at Zing resort in jomtien.

I know I had one at the Agate hotel in jomtien.

oh and be careful when booking for the Zing hotel, I remember booking on a app way back in 2018 thinking Wow I snared a bargain here for the Zing hotel, only to find out I actually booked the Zing hotel up on the main road and not in the jomtien complex !

Zing in Jomtien complex calls itself Zing Resort as to differentiate from the other Zing

Is the mosaik apartments still going ?

Haven't seen them in the hotel apps lately.

I noticed Rabbit resort advertised at 3k a night, haven't stayed there in like 15 years,but for that price I won't be rushing back .

Interesting hotel here I saw on the app,but too far away from the action.

It has train carriages as rooms 

www.trainresort.info 

I’ve just checked the Ambiance on Booking.com. I entered a stay of 7 nights in a couple of weeks and the price for that starts at 4600 baht. This is for their cheapest room - there are larger rooms going up to 14000 baht for a suite. 4600 is 657 a night - this seems a real,bargain. The place apparently has been refurbished. There are no negative reports on Tripadvisor.

Edited by Travellerdave
Addition

42 minutes ago, Travellerdave said:

I’ve just checked the Ambiance on Booking.com. I entered a stay of 7 nights in a couple of weeks and the price for that starts at 4600 baht. This is for their cheapest room - there are larger rooms going up to 14000 baht for a suite. 4600 is 657 a night - this seems a real,bargain. The place apparently has been refurbished. There are no negative reports on Tripadvisor.

That's a very good price.   

Some of us avoid staying in Boyztown due to the risk of excessive noise.    However, as long as the closing time restrictions remain in place, I guess BT would be an acceptable place to stay.  There are advantages from such restrictions.

I'm guessing the cheapest room would be one of those at the rear, which should be better for noise as well, although no view.     

in Boyztown my choice is still Copa, the same standard  but I don't like  Ambiance's maze of claustrophobic corridors. In case breakfast is included than I'd go for Ambiance as Copa doesn't provide breakfast but still one can be ordered there , your guessed it , from Ambiance across the soi. At least it was  a case before Covid as now I'm not sure Ambiance restaurant is opened

It seems likely that the karaoke bar that produced all the noise early morning has not yet resumed. Yes the Ambiance’s maze of corridors has given me problems in the past. I believe the restaurent has not yet opened.

I am fantasising that my forth-coming trip will be one of nostalgia. Visit places I haven’t seen for 2.4 years, listen to sounds, eat food, maybe sleep with boys from the past.What better place to stay for this than the Ambiance !

What hotels do we have still going in or near Sunee Plaza ?

Seems mosaik is still going,although last time I stated there I ended up in a small room with a window view of a tiny laneway and facing a brick wall 😆