reader

Gay Pride Bangkok 2022

On 6/7/2022 at 2:41 PM, z909 said:

I hope the organisers stay clear of that idea.   If a pride event gains a political element, then those in power with vested interests would have more reason to oppose the event in the first place.   Also, they might diversify the content of the event so far that the original purpose becomes less relevant.  Finally, political diversity could include ideas from all across the spectrum and participants in the original event wouldn't necessarily want anything to do with some of the ideas.

By all means organise a separate political diversity event.    Once they do that, there is of course the big question which we must not discuss here.

spot on analysis. There were, in fact, some people and banners about political issues, especially gay marriage, legalization of sex work, but also and critically, issue 112. My Thai friend I was with, who is very royalist got very upset about that, asking what that had to do with gay issues. I tried to explain that gay issues are very political indeed in many respects and have always been ever since pride became a thing some 50 years ago. Prime example is gay marriage, doesn't get more political than that. But also various freedoms including a general freedom of expression and press freedom, which is let's say underdeveloped in Thailand (for 112 reasons, among others) and which the younger generation yearns for, gay or straight. But such arguments count for nothing for the "conservative" people if some holy thing is being involved.