Olddaddy

What apps do you use in Thailand?

Just wondering what apps to download ready for my Thailand & Phillipines trip.

For transport I have downloaded Grab , not sure if Bolt is another one that operates ?

For meetings I have downloaded Grindr & Hornet,not sure if planetromeo  could be another one along with blued?

For communication I have download Line , although I have WhatsApp,I'm not sure what they use in Thailand.

Also is there any apps that you use to record notes & trip report , that you say can include pics etc ,is that apps such as Evernote etc ?

42 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

Just wondering what apps to download ready for my Thailand & Phillipines trip.

For transport I have downloaded Grab , not sure if Bolt is another one that operates ?

For meetings I have downloaded Grindr & Hornet,not sure if planetromeo  could be another one along with blued?

For communication I have download Line , although I have WhatsApp,I'm not sure what they use in Thailand.

Also is there any apps that you use to record notes & trip report , that you say can include pics etc ,is that apps such as Evernote etc ?

Download all of them, but don't worry, you can download anything you forget in Thailand.

Bolt are far cheaper than Grab in some locations, such as Pattaya.

For note taking, I use Color Note (sic), but I am happy to keep text separate from pictures.   Whilst I admire the use of paper for notes by Vinapu, with Color Note on my phone, I can check out the archive and see notes from trips several years ago.   

Also, I don't have to think about people picking up my notebook and reading about who shared my bed in Pattaya.

On 6/9/2022 at 10:41 AM, jason1975 said:

I tried to use Grndr but I gave up after 3 days. Very tiresome to communicate via inbox. I rather chat to a guy in person at bar.

I’ve just got Grindr via the App Store and paid for the basic service. I think I must have messed up the installation as I don’t seem to have the functions some refer to, like saving favourites or seeing photos of guys I click on. It seems quite hard to operate. However I have had several experimental conversations in which boys have sent me photos. Obviously they loose interest when they know I’m not in Thailand. But I have seen times when there are quite a few boys of my type online.

what experience do other members have of Grindr or other apps. ? Romeo seems just packed with ladyboys and old guys like myself.

grindr could be useful to me during my forthcoming trip.

The basic Grindr ($19.95) is very restrictive in displaying wide range of photos. Grindr is constantly trying to get you to upgrade to $39.95 monthly level. I’ve canceled my subscription that expires this week. It’s simply not worth the time or money IMO.

I have found Grindr to be the most useful.  Free version.   The paid for filters might be helpful in Bangkok, but I don't need them in Pattaya.  There are loads of lady boys on Grindr in Pattaya, but I solve the problem by blocking them all.   So I can't see them and vice versa.   In fact, I now use the block feature more widely as a filter to remove unsuitable candidates.

Grindr does not synch messages from one device to another.

Hornet has more lads than Grindr in Thailand, but he adverts are horrendous.  Too frequent and some run for a couple of minutes, with no obvious way to shut them down.     I also dislike the screen layout, which puts 4 very small photos in a row on my phone.    I notice another board member's older phone has a more helpful 3 photos on a row & doesn't have the same level of intrusive advertising.  

In the UK and some other European countries, customers seem to be abandoning Hornet, possibly due to the advertising policy.     Last time I looked, there were about 100 Grindr users for every 1 Hornet user, in about a 10km range.   Hornet deserve that.  

The browser based version of Horned doesn't seem to suffer ads.    There might just be an argument for paying for an ad-free app version of Hornet, just as long as that can easily be terminated when leaving Thailand.    I certainly wouldn't want to pay for an app with no one on it in my home country.

I have a phone and also an Android tablet, which is now at least 5~6 years old & almost due for replacement.   Hornet works on the phone, but doesn't show the user text on the screen on the older device.

Planet Romeo has fewer lads, but I think the proportion of MBs is higher.

Blued.    Lots of boys, but I think the last time I actually met one on this app was about 2.5 years ago.   I met several in Yangon & there might have been one in northern Thailand.

It makes sense to use more than one app, as some of the lads only seem to use one app on a regular basis.   So if you use one different app, you miss them.  

4 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

I’ve just got Grindr via the App Store and paid for the basic service. I think I must have messed up the installation as I don’t seem to have the functions some refer to, like saving favourites or seeing photos of guys I click on. It seems quite hard to operate. However I have had several experimental conversations in which boys have sent me photos. Obviously they loose interest when they know I’m not in Thailand. But I have seen times when there are quite a few boys of my type online.

what experience do other members have of Grindr or other apps. ? Romeo seems just packed with ladyboys and old guys like myself.

grindr could be useful to me during my forthcoming trip.

Grindr used to be good until about the last 12 months they took away the ability to "search" for a particular race .

Eg I used to search Asian only, you can't do that anymore .

Thanks guys for your comments about the apps

as I mentioned I have had a go with Grindr and have had several “experimental” conversations using it, which mostly have been rather short, as the boy’s inevitable early question is “where are you” and I’m not going to lie, so mostly the conversation goes no further, as my answer is “England”, although on 3 occasions I did get photos of good looking boys. 
in the “old days” at work using new software there was usually training sessions, but now it seems you have to muddle through perhaps with the help of a local computer “guru”. Perhaps there is a business opportunity for such a guru to setup in BT or the Complex, providing help with Grindr, Blued, Line, WhatsApp etc etc. It certainly would not be me.
However good the app, I think I will be spending more time in the bars rather than clicking away on my phone or ipad

11 hours ago, stijntje said:

I use the free version of Grindr, and that's fine for me in Bangkok.

# me too and only as emergency service or to spy on familiar faces ( I noticed  waiter who was serving me in restaurant day before and well as receptionist in my hotel )

It seems that if you are not in place you are checking in you can't sent a guy message on that version